another CAB question for Frankie

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":1xpnvoap said:
Yes, the red calf should qualify if you can show his parents were registered Angus.

Thanks. I'm glad someone agrees that the calf SHOULD qualify. Whether it actually does or not is another story. I will take your advice and contact my AAA reg. manager and get the scoop. This is hard to believe, but it turns out he lives about 2 miles from me. Weird. Boy, is he going to get sick of me!! ;-) ;-) Will let you know what I find out.

Frankie":jk5qtot0 said:
Red Angus are Red Angus, not Angus. There's a difference. Nothing "throws the mandatory black requirement out"?
http://www.ams.usda
.gov/lsg/certprog/Schedules/sched-GLA.htm
IMO Red Angus are as much Angus as Black Angus are. Hugh Watson one of the founders of the breed was preferential to the Blacks over the Reds and wouldn't allow the Reds into the herdbook. It coulld have just as easily been that he would have preferred the Reds over the Blacks and wouldn't have let the Blacks in the herdbook.

Frankie":jk5qtot0 said:
Then why are you trying so hard to prove that Red Angus can be part of the progam. They can, BTW, if they're black, ear tag or not.
I'd be willing to make a small wager that the Red Angus will be allowed in the CAB program before very many more AAA Board of Directors meetings come to pass.

December 8, 2003 Red Angus Association of America

Industry's Premiere "Angus" Grid Unveiled

Sharing the same objective of supplying premium "Angus" cattle to the beef industry, the Red Angus Association of America (RAAA) and Angus America have combined efforts to provide the industry's premiere fed cattle marketing outlet for "Angus" cattle.

"This merger signifies yet another huge milestone in the history of the 'Certified Red Angus' program," says Blake Angell, RAAA Commercial Marketing Director. "Being aligned with a program with the caliber and reputation of Angus America will only aid in further advancing the notoriety and recognition of the value of our program and the Red Angus breed."

In an attempt to deliver a program unmatched in its assistance in developing, producing, and promoting high quality Angus cattle, regardless of hide color, these two programs have redefined the standards for marketing "Angus" fed cattle. By incorporating strict cattle qualifications, producers must now meet the USDA qualifications for "Angus" in order to utilize the new "Angus America/Red Angus Marketing Agreement." Thus, this newly developed system will be a key component for Excel Corporation to supply the branded beef product lines of Angus Pride, Sterling Silver and Certified Angus Beef.

"Angus America is excited about the recent consolidation between marketing efforts of the Red Angus Association and Angus America into the premier Angus alliance in the country," says Mark Nelson, Angus America Business Coordinator. "This consolidation both simplifies and adds punch to grid marketing, carcass data, and access to premium product lines through agreements with Excel Corporation, the most progressive processor in the industry."

Still sounds like a good program for Red Angus breeders. Still doesn't say Red Angus ear tags qualify cattle for CAB.

Frankie":3vr1jy9m said:
Still sounds like a good program for Red Angus breeders. Still doesn't say Red Angus ear tags qualify cattle for CAB.
It doesn't say that Black Angus can't qualify for this new program either.