Annoying Guy Across The Road

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I have a neighbor from He77 story and question.

I live on a busy county road. It wasn't busy, till all this gas drilling, but I digress. The road winds and curves up the hill till it gets up here and then levels off. As such, folks think it is fun to drive and everyone exceeds the posted forty MPH speed limit. Thing is, when you get to our part of the road, there is a big curve, and we have had cars run off the road on both sides. It is pretty common, happening at least three times a year. We have a huge hackberry tree that has been gouged almost in two from cars hitting it.

The guy across the road, where to start? He does not work, his house is a wreck. He has unfinished projects started everywhere. It is rumored he grows his own, about which I could care less. He has a toilet on his front porch that he removed, I am guessing, maybe he means to install it, that has been there for two years. He is the worldwide expert on everything. He also has the Sheriff's department on speed dial and they know his voice. He's, well, eccentric.

He is annoyed that people crash into his yard. I am, as well, but we live a lot further from the road than he does.

He has installed a light, no, a search light, a concentration camp light, a light you can light up a prison with, on his house. He means to light up the road, I guess, so that people won't crash.

Thing is, he missed the road and that light shines on my house and yard. It is brighter than Christmas in my front bedroom at night. It blocks out the stars. It shines around my house to my back yard. People comment in it. I am not being a crank here.

I had Steve go over and talk to him about it one day. He said he'd do something about it, but he never has.

Who do I talk to now? The guy creeps me out, so I don't want to talk to him. He's making me hate my yard, though. So I call the County Commissioner? Sheriff's Dept? City ordinance does not apply here. I need for someone to come and look at this and then decide whether or not he's being unreasonable.

Who am I gonna call?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You're going to call the Sheriffs office for him violating your property rights.

Depending on whom owns the highway (county, state, or federal), if he is illuminating the highway, he is probably violating some ordinances there. That would be the county commission or the d.o.t.

Any flowers planted in that toilet yet?

I'd start with the Sheriff,then the media--sounds like it could be a traffic hazzard in it's own right,blinding people..

grannysoo":1rzjj7si said:
You're going to call the Sheriffs office for him violating your property rights.

Depending on whom owns the highway (county, state, or federal), if he is illuminating the highway, he is probably violating some ordinances there. That would be the county commission or the d.o.t.

Any flowers planted in that toilet yet?

None. If I was gonna keep a pot on my porch, the least I'd do is plant flowers in it. Something that drapes, don't you think? Rose moss?

Sounds like you are reasonable...so get "steve" to go again and talk to him...you don't need to confront him at all! Get him to turn the spotlight across the field...(was thinking down the road but that would blind a lot of drivers) work w the guy on this....maybe the 'sheriff' could start policing this road more oft....that would help eh?

grannysoo":oxuczw30 said:

This sounds like your best bet.

I understand this type person very well. He means well and intends to accomplish all his grand ideas but the bong keeps getting in his way. The search light, well that's to fend off the little buggers who are after him - and they are after him you know. Me, I wouldn't trouble the sheriff's department with this myself. Don't need a record or any history for anyone to fall back on. Personally, I'd take the light out with a rifle with a can on it but a bolt action 22 with CB's do just as well. (Oh, you can stitch together a guilly suit with a couple of burlap bags and a few diapers and beer cans glued to the burlap. This would provide excellent camoflage in the ditchs near my house.) Sleep tight. ;-)

Jogeephus":22ro6zoj said:
I understand this type person very well. He means well and intends to accomplish all his grand ideas but the bong keeps getting in his way. The search light, well that's to fend off the little buggers who are after him - and they are after him you know. Me, I wouldn't trouble the sheriff's department with this myself. Don't need a record or any history for anyone to fall back on. Personally, I'd take the light out with a rifle with a can on it but a bolt action 22 with CB's do just as well. (Oh, you can stitch together a guilly suit with a couple of burlap bags and a few diapers and beer cans glued to the burlap. This would provide excellent camoflage in the ditchs near my house.) Sleep tight. ;-)

Jo and Horti, I would shoot it out. I have the proper guns and ammo. I had a guest offer to do it this weekend. I don't want the police showing up over here.

I agree. He is quite paranoid. I am sure, that given his history with the sheriff's that they would listen to me and go talk to him. I am afraid that he would know who did it and here I am alone during the week and he's awful creepy. I want to be able to maintain some sort of neighborly decor with him, but we tried talking to him. I was outside a little while ago and it is just blinding out there. If I knew someone who could shoot on the run, I would arrange a little drive by. It might give me some peace for one night anyhow. I'd like to use my telescope to look at the stars but he's cancelling out the night sky.

If he won't listen to reason, I think I would wait until he's gone and shoot it out . You could get a bigger light and shine it right back at him . Find out where his mother lives and talk to her about it, I'm 50years old, 6' 280 lbs and that little white haired woman will get right up in my face, then I go do whatever it is she wants done ;-) . Some silly suggestions . What I would really do is let the whole thing build up day after day, then one day when other things were going wrong I would go ballistic over it, storm across the road and show him one of the biggest tantrums he'd ever seen . Not a good solution either, sorry .

Larry

larryshoat":383136bv said:
If he won't listen to reason, I think I would wait until he's gone and shoot it out . You could get a bigger light and shine it right back at him . Find out where his mother lives and talk to her about it, I'm 50years old, 6' 280 lbs and that little white haired woman will get right up in my face, then I go do whatever it is she wants done ;-) . Some silly suggestions . What I would really do is let the whole thing build up day after day, then one day when other things were going wrong I would go ballistic over it, storm across the road and show him one of the biggest tantrums he'd ever seen . Not a good solution either, sorry .

Larry

Best idea I have heard yet. Really. No one wants a totally unreasonable woman in their face. That woman is me.

You could also call Gilbert and Montlick Attorney's at Suing and tell them of your situation and how the light is on the road and such. I'm sure they could find/hire a client to drive down the road and have a wreck due to the light. Pain, suffering, mental anguish fees all might leave Herbie without the means to pay his light bill.

Jogeephus":2kylxmkg said:
You could also call Gilbert and Montlick Attorney's at Suing and tell them of your situation and how the light is on the road and such. I'm sure they could find/hire a client to drive down the road and have a wreck due to the light. Pain, suffering, mental anguish fees all might leave Herbie without the means to pay his light bill.

He77 Jo, I don't know how he pays his light bill now. He does't have a job. He was on disability but I think he told Steve that it was about to run out. His wife works. He says she's a nurse, but when you add in the exaggeration factor, I am sure sue is an aide or does housekeeping. If she had any kind of sense, she would have booted him long ago. I don't see him do a dam thing but sit on the proch and call 911. Oh, and he has falcons. No kidding. He gets out there and plays with his falcons. They never have visitors, no company on holidays, they don't seem to travel. His kids smoke and seldom go to school.

Gee, I wonder why my house didn't sell last summer...

anonymously put a note in his mailbox to please do something wiht the light as it seems to be a road hazard. make it sound that way.like you drove by and it blinded ya. kinda ina menacing way. itll make yer point and he wont know it was you. then wait and see..or tell him it was in yer mailbox and then mention it is kinda brite and could we maybe turn it down some....if that dont werk take an axe and hack the cord in half. i

Beefy":3amjxcmb said:
maybe he just didnt get around to reangleing it yet...

Three months ago????

But if he stays fried all the time, that's not a bad guess.

Where you been Beefy?

Anything to put headlight reflectors on Lammie? Fence posts or whatever.

In a friendly way mention how much money he would save by not burning electricty and save himself any problems if his light did cause an accident.

Sometimes it's like the old saying " you can choose you friends...but you can't chose your neighbours".

If friendly didn't work, and the law was no help, I'd be looking for some candle power of my own! :lol:

ALX.":1l5piesd said:
Sometimes it's like the old saying " you can choose you friends...but you can't chose your neighbours".

Too true just like family can't choose them either..

If friendly didn't work, and the law was no help, I'd be looking for some candle power of my own! :lol:

Now I would have wanted to do this right away that is why Mr. HD handles all of the neighbor dilemmas.. Hm mm go figure HD is a hot head.. :roll: ,not really I just have limited patience with people. If I had handled the last dilemma with the neighbor over hay his @ss would still be sore after surgery from having my boot removed ,and perhaps I would be awaiting trial.. :help:

Lammie I would send your hubby over one more time to have a very patient and mutually understood conversation that the light needs to be redirected or it will be <shot out in the middle of the night> removed by other means.

On a side note is there anyway the county can make that road safer .They did that for the road that goes by our place 5 years before we moved here, I guess 4 deaths in 3 years was enough to make an impact. :(

Latest posts