Angus vs. Hereford beef quality question

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Maybe too many factors to be able to answer this question but I'll ask and see what I get.

I'm going to purchase most likely 5 or 6 steers (maybe bulls) in early spring to finish on pasture and grain. I'd like to buy weaned 6 wts. around April 15 (tax day :x ) and take them to a target date of Oct 15 (of course that can change) so around 180 days. With a ADG of 2.5 lbs. slaughter weight of 1050-1100 lbs. Maybe I'll keep them a little longer and take them to a heavier weight. I have access to buy either pure Angus or pure Hereford and both are from really good reputable breeders with a great record over the years. Probably to general of a question but here goes:

What differences could I expect between the two breeds as far as beef quality? I guess I could buy 3 of each and see but I will be selling most of this to my customers.

Some of the best ribeyes I have ever eaten were Hereford. Angus has great marketing, and will certainly be appealing to your customers. If I was buying for me I would buy the herf. If I was gonna market it Angus. JMHO

That's just it my customers don't ever ask the breed just no antibiotics or hormones is their concern. But in the past I've always sold Limi or Angus.

quackingduck":h1kh5bag said:
We've had good results with cattle from either breed. Would you consider using heifers rather than steers.

Yes I would consider heifers rather than steers. But should I be concerned with amount of actual take home beef from same weight heofer as same weight steer? I haven't finished a heifer like this--is there any big differences?

IMO. The difference is between the individual animals, not the breed.
Concentrate your efforts on your desirable traits and not hide color or breed and your customers will continue coming back.
The only reason I can see in breed selection is the availability of good records on traits. (EPD's and other carcass data)

tncattle":1z8rdjox said:
quackingduck":1z8rdjox said:
We've had good results with cattle from either breed. Would you consider using heifers rather than steers.

Yes I would consider heifers rather than steers. But should I be concerned with amount of actual take home beef from same weight heofer as same weight steer? I haven't finished a heifer like this--is there any big differences?

I think heifer mates on grass will finish sooner. If you are pushing them with grain maybe it doesn't matter.

meat is meat i dont care what breed your feeding out.the grade quality an taste of the meat depend on a few things.1.is the way an amount of feed they are fed.2.genetics to gain weight an put marbling on the meat.since you want a 2.5lb gain a day your looking at feeding them 15 to 20lbs of grain a day plus pasture.

bigbull338":200atlon said:
meat is meat i dont care what breed your feeding out.the grade quality an taste of the meat depend on a few things.1.is the way an amount of feed they are fed.2.genetics to gain weight an put marbling on the meat.since you want a 2.5lb gain a day your looking at feeding them 15 to 20lbs of grain a day plus pasture.
refer back to the first sentence

bigbull338":2kqjxyvp said:

Last April I had a group of 7 heifers (angus X) that gained 1.98 lbs. on pasture only during a 78 day period. It was spring through mid summer though. I think the grain will have to be increased as time goes on but not early on unless there is lack of rain which is almost never the case here--(just jinxed myself)!!!

ALACOWMAN":1f7yl4e4 said:
bigbull338":1f7yl4e4 said:
refer back to the first sentence
i see that.an it can cut both ways,but you really dont have to have the genetics to get good beef.because we import so much beef that we dont really know what the beef is in the stores.

If you know both breeders why not ask them for the EPD's of at least the bull's the calves will be out of and if possible the cows? While not bullet proof it will at a minimum give you more information to perhaps make the decision much easier.

smuff76":lpggliy7 said:
If you know both breeders why not ask them for the EPD's of at least the bull's the calves will be out of and if possible the cows? While not bullet proof it will at a minimum give you more information to perhaps make the decision much easier.

good point--thanks

In my opinion the Herefords look better naked, could just be me but the carcasses just look nicer with better fat deposition and muscle development, not overly muscled but the just right look.
Given the same feed and water I haven't noticed any difference in the taste between the two.
I haven't met a mean Herf and have had our old gal AI'd while I held her by the horns.
I think hat it all depends on what the individual animals look like when you open your check book.
Dave Mc

novatech":2qso0rhg said:
Concentrate your efforts on your desirable traits and not hide color or breed and your customers will continue coming back.
The only reason I can see in breed selection is the availability of good records on traits. (EPD's and other carcass data)

AMEN-- there is as much variability within both breeds as there is between some differing breeds....It all depends on what type beef your customers want-- grass fed, highly marbled/prime or choice, leaner beef, etc. etc on the type of cattle you want...

tncattle":pddl0rm3 said:
Maybe too many factors to be able to answer this question but I'll ask and see what I get.

What differences could I expect between the two breeds as far as beef quality? I guess I could buy 3 of each and see but I will be selling most of this to my customers.

You may be correct about too many factors to answer your question. Some of the other posters have given good advise , however it does not really answer your guestion with accuracy.

Feed is something you control so I will leave it out of my answer, however if marbling is important for you , had only one of the breeders creep feed and or early weaned, their calves will normally marble better.

As for marbling and ribeye size, genetics are very important. On the average Angus will hold a slight avantage in both areas. I raise Herefords and have studied the differences and grudgely admit the average Angus beats the average Hereford. I don't know if your buyers will be able to tell or taste any difference, probally not.

Other poster suggested knowing the epd values of both breeds , however even if you know that, they are not base on a common scale. A Hereford bull needs a accurate marbling epd of .6 to be similer in marbling ability to the average Angus bull. I'm sure some people will disagree with me but thats OK I'm confident about my information. The Angus back fat epd is approximatly .3 higher than a Hereford. Ribeye epd are similar.

novatech":1yyloqnd said:

that being said, the best t-bone steak i ever had was from a 2 yr old hereford steer. we have since been dining on angus or commercial hereford and angusx. still haven't equalled that hereford steer.

Latest posts