Angus vs Brangus as Terminal sire

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
Which of these Breed of bulls be best for small framed cows? I am looking for a Vis a Vis comparison for Birth Weight, Weaned Weight, it's for a friend up north.. :cboy:

Thank you.

As I think about this, a few questions come to mind:

-what is the breed composition of the cows? If they already have some Brahman influence in them, I would go with Angus. If the cows are high percentage Angus, I would go with Brangus to capture some heterosis.

-if these calves are going to be sold through a sale barn, do the buyers at that barn heavily discount calves with ear? If so, I would go with Angus.

-both Angus and Brangus are wonderful breeds for making replacement females. If this producer is looking for a terminal sire, why is he/she limiting themselves to Angus or Brangus? If they are wanting pounds at weaning, a moderate framed Charolais bull would work very well. Also, Simmental, Limousin, Braunvieh, and Gelbvieh bulls add pounds at weaning and should be considered.

UG":l85ysf1h said:
If this producer is looking for a terminal sire, why is he/she limiting themselves to Angus or Brangus? If they are wanting pounds at weaning, a moderate framed Charolais bull would work very well. Also, Simmental, Limousin, Braunvieh, and Gelbvieh bulls add pounds at weaning and should be considered.
I believe he is running Lowline Angus/Herefor cross cows, they quite small black baldy cows, he wishes to keep the black theme going on and believes a full sized black limousine bull will be too much on the cows(dystocia), but thinks that Brangus having some brahman in them will make smaller calves that grow to be almost full size. :cboy:

I wouldn't use brangus bull on them, heterosis can increase the birthweight. Stay with Angus for the cows' sakes.

Having Brahman in the cow is what decreases calf size, at least in purebred Brahmans. You can absolutely find Brangus bulls that throw small calves, but that is from genetics, not simply the fact that they are a percentage Brahman. I would look for a small/moderate framed, low birthweight type bull from either breed.

Latest posts