Angus heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
My daughter won a nice registered Angus heifer yearling in a contest
(Boyd's New Day X Thomas Lucy)

Last year we let our Red Poll herd bull breed her and she had a nice calf. A neighbor has "Volunteer" Angus semen in his tank and will breed her for us. Is this a good cross?

He's a good looking bull but I have never used him. If he's offering I would let him.

I currently have 8 registered Red Polls, most having just had their 2nd calves. They all calved in March last year. They all came in Feb this year. I also have some grade Red Polls and Shorthorns and Shorthorn crosses.

Bought the Red Polls as yearlings and they have been nearly trouble free with nice calves last fall, may have got docked a bit in price but the only cow that did not breed back was a first calf Angus.

Heifers came from R.A. Chinn of Danville and bull from Jim Doll of northern Kentucky. Also have cattle from Burley Ridge farm of Alex Johnson.

Attended the Beef Expo in Louisville and they all said it was the best sale in years. Leo Young of Shelbyville seemed to have the best selling Red Polls. Robbie Mattingly of Junction City and Jim Doll have recently bought two of the top bulls. Red Polls are seeing a big increase of interest in Kentucky.

I was there also, I helped with the show on Friday and yes it was a good sale. There seems to be a great demand for Red Polls not only in Kentucky but out west also. Parkstlye Alex the bull that Dolls bought is a really nice bull. We will be back in Louisville in November for the NAILE and will probably have a few in the sale then.

Latest posts