Angus genetics question

Help Support CattleToday:

chadmiller44

Reaction score
Hello all-

Recently joined this forum not knowing a great deal about specific breeds and the role that genetics play, etc. I am in the process of adding a few cows to our place, and have stumbled across an opportunity to get some good genetics from a place here in Texas. The cows are out of the Hale line, Travelers, and Rib-eye. Not sure if this is something good, or great...was hoping for some feedback.

As of right now, the current set-up that I am adding to has Brangus being bred to a Hereford. In the near future, we will be searching for a pure-bred angus bull, POSSIBLY out of one of the lines above.

I'm not all that serious into this whole deal, and have been educated on fall vs. spring calvers, etc.

Anybody have any feedback on aformentioned genetics?

Thanks to all!

I actually don't have any of the cows just yet, but yes, they will have papers. Got a pretty quick education about that this weekend as well. I was at my cousins place and we were out looking at his mamma's and babies, and he pulled out his notebook and spreadsheets and registration papers.

lol...can you tell I'm new at this?

everyone has to start somewhere and everyone is constantly learning no matter how long you've been doing it.

If you can get the reg. numbers before you buy them I could better advise you as to whether or not it is a good deal.

If you need a good bull next fall look me up. We have some that are going to be pretty good and will be priced reasonably.

With either the number or the animals registered name you can go to http://www.angus.org and go to Data Searches on the left hand side and then EPD Pedigree Lookup and that will give you the pedigree and EPDs as well as the breeder, number of progeny ultrasounded, number of daughters in production

Ricmond Hales has one of the larger angus herds in Texas. They breed for functionality and doability first. Hales cattle will be just a tick bigger than most angus you find in central Texas.

Traveler 004 was a good foundation sire for Angus but he has very low EPD's these days..
Look into some New Design Bulls like 878 or 1407 and they can help you keep that frame down.

I had some Big Eye calves last year and wish I had some more. Useda Big Eye sired calf to clean up behind AI this past fall.

I bred Big Eye to my heifers this past fall. I intend to breed him to my heifers this coming fall.

Big Eye is a young bull in the Select sires Stud.

Except for the color of course that picture of Big Eye reminds me of some of the old time Milking Shorthorn bulls.