Angus Docility

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Has anyone else been paying attention to these new numbers? I guess I'll have to finally admit that EXT's disposition wasn't good. We never had any particular problems with his daughters, but he's a negative (-9). I was sorry to see that New Level's is negative, too. We had been thinking we'd use him for our next heifer bull when the 036 is gone. May have to rethink that. Any other surprises out there?

Frankie":3j10srw1 said:
Has anyone else been paying attention to these new numbers? I guess I'll have to finally admit that EXT's disposition wasn't good. We never had any particular problems with his daughters, but he's a negative (-9). I was sorry to see that New Level's is negative, too. We had been thinking we'd use him for our next heifer bull when the 036 is gone. May have to rethink that. Any other surprises out there?

Glad to see someone admit they were wrong. ;-)

I think this happens over and over here on Cattle Today and in the real world. That is ............people use their own personal experiences, or rumors they have heard to influence breeding decisions over and above the data to the contrary.

Even then, SOME data could be skewed in favor of an individual breed.

This may explain some of the problems in the beef industry.............

I'd imagine there will be plenty of surprises, both positive and negative. Just about everyone will have experiences that go against what's expected, whether it's docility or some other trait.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think any of the other major breeds will follow suit with docility epds? Yes, I know Limousin was the first. Does anyone think that having docility epds would be admitting that there's a problem in that area, or will it be seen as simply giving the customer as much information as possible?

VanC":3ln84h4u said:
Does anyone think that having docility epds would be admitting that there's a problem in that area, or will it be seen as simply giving the customer as much information as possible?

I sure hope they don;t. The software to develop EPDs is expensive and it would just require more data input. It seems that some breeds are in an EPD race. Like the PC business in that everyone want to say "me too, but we have this to". If there is a problem, an EPD to measure it is all well and good but why have more EPDs just to be able to claim we have have more then x-breed does? Won;t be long and someone WILL come up with a petability EPD at this rate.

Only question on Docility EPD's is that how do they collect data that is graded uniformly and evenly on each and every farm?

One man's idea of Docility might be different to anothers'.

A hungry cow is usually a lot more "Petable" than a full one too.

Does it make a difference if she is full of hay or full of grain? ...........

Or just full of manure?

KNERSIE":mn01illh said:

Or just full of manure?

One that has you done pounding on you is even easier to pet, you just can't help it. But maybe petting them with whatever is handy to get them off of you doesn;t count the same.

KNERSIE":h17zl2ep said:

Or just full of manure?

Either. Actually she could be full of air, or BLOATED, and be more "Petable".
;-)

Personally I think the docility index is a good thing. Helps prevent some surprises when selecting an AI sire. For those who don't like it they can just ignore disposition entirely.

The doctilty epd has worked pretty well with the Limousin cattle. If your breed needs it you should use it. Can't see where it will hurt anything unless you got some cattle with problems.

Red Bull Breeder":2fgoopcn said:
The doctilty epd has worked pretty well with the Limousin cattle. If your breed needs it you should use it. Can't see where it will hurt anything unless you got some cattle with problems.
Red Bull Breeder-

I agree with your reasoning, UNLESS, in our zeal to acquire some trait in our cattle (you name the trait), we succumb to "single trait selection", at the expense of other more important and influential EPD's, and in the process, lose characteristics which are more PROFITABLE to our businesses. I think that we all know of some breeds which have sacrificed some critical trait(s?) by over-concentrating on one or two OTHER traits - and in the process - LOST chacteristics which have hurt the breed(s).

DOC HARRIS

Doc i am not suggesting for people to pay no attention to all traits. However doctilty is a proffitable trait. If you cannot get the critter in the corral, be in the corral with it or keep it in the corral once you get it there,you probaly have a doctilty issue, that needs addressed. I prefer cattle that don't head for the back forty when they see you come in the pasture. I like to rattle a feed bucket and they come running. A 5 gallon bucket with a hand full of gravel and my cows will follow me any where.

I was looking at those last night- and the first question that popped in my mind was if EXT was -9 (and I've not had too bad a problems with EXT's) and California Traveller was -2 (I had some real problems with a couple of his sons going on the fight) - then how squirrelly was H A Ambush to get a -34 rating :???:

I am going to probably use the chart to some extent tho...An example is that I've wanted to use N Bar Prime Time D806 for several years to add/compliment some qualities to my cattle- but been a little nervous about him because he goes back to EXT twice on the bottom- and goes to 5204 on the top (that I'd heard some bad stories about)...He came out with a +14 rating (which is about average) so I may try him on some heifers this spring because of his calving ease predictability ......

I am not surprised that EXT would show up as negative when it comes to docility. However, As with many of the other EPD's it is possible that an EPD will be detrimentle to some individuals. I have a 6 year old EXT daughter that is like a puppy dog. It would be a shame if she shows up as a negative in redards to docility.

Oldtimer":22uk58t8 said:
I was looking at those last night- and the first question that popped in my mind was if EXT was -9 (and I've not had too bad a problems with EXT's) and California Traveller was -2 (I had some real problems with a couple of his sons going on the fight) - then how squirrelly was H A Ambush to get a -34 rating :???:

I am going to probably use the chart to some extent tho...An example is that I've wanted to use N Bar Prime Time D806 for several years to add/compliment some qualities to my cattle- but been a little nervous about him because he goes back to EXT twice on the bottom- and goes to 5204 on the top (that I'd heard some bad stories about)...He came out with a +14 rating (which is about average) so I may try him on some heifers this spring because of his calving ease predictability ......
--

Oldtimer- Now that is exactly how to use and work EPD's! Read, compare, watch and use what you can see might benefit YOUR herd. A breeder is wise to use a FEW EPD's, that will do him some good, and not try to put icing on the entire cake with one big smear!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":n31h5yvs said:
Oldtimer":n31h5yvs said:

--

Oldtimer- Now that is exactly how to use and work EPD's! Read, compare, watch and use what you can see might benefit YOUR herd. A breeder is wise to use a FEW EPD's, that will do him some good, and not try to put icing on the entire cake with one big smear!

Is this big smear another age thing I need to know about? Does it only happen in the morning on the can?

DOC HARRIS

Glad to see this topic discussed, Angus just as any breed in my opinion should have a score for disposition I know if she or he don`t follow that 5 gal puckett spoke of earlier i don`t need them. Leave those for the younger at hand.
Recently purchased a Heifer at a Local Angus Sale with 036 & Percision influnce that is little to wirey for me. She better get her act together or someone else can feed her I`m NOT.

blk mule

Latest posts