Angus Cow Makers

Help Support CattleToday:

Cussin' Gus

Reaction score
Starting to think about what to breed my cows to in march. I have used 878, mytty in focus, sav final answer 0035, retail product, in hopes of retaining heifers in the past with pretty good success, with the exception of retail product, what bulls do you guys see as a good " cow maker"

A lot would depend on the genotype/phenotype of each cow and her weaknesses. I always try to match my cows' weaknesses to a particular bull's strengths. So far I have liked 878. Some others I have used and liked Alberda Traveler 416 and EXT or one of his sons.

what is number one in the abs book or genex book this year?

Cussin' Gus":gyk2sl4n said:
Starting to think about what to breed my cows to in march. I have used 878, mytty in focus, sav final answer 0035, retail product, in hopes of retaining heifers in the past with pretty good success, with the exception of retail product, what bulls do you guys see as a good " cow maker"

Were you not happy with your retail product daughters? if so, why not?

Baldie Maker":2y7goq98 said:
Cussin' Gus":2y7goq98 said:

It is not that I'm unhappy with them.....I haven't gotten any I have used him on 17 cows gotten 9 calves... 1 was a heifer that the neighbors dogs killed right after it was born.... Rest were bulls. Did manage to buy a retail product cow due 2/1 IMHO really jam up cow

Cussin' Gus":3u6dg3oq said:
Baldie Maker":3u6dg3oq said:
Cussin' Gus":3u6dg3oq said:

It is not that I'm unhappy with them.....I haven't gotten any I have used him on 17 cows gotten 9 calves... 1 was a heifer that the neighbors dogs killed right after it was born.... Rest were bulls. Did manage to buy a retail product cow due 2/1 IMHO really jam up cow

So far my best offspring has been sired by Retail Product out of an 878 cow, with Predestined sired offspring out of 878 cows right there with it. So if you like those, there might be a breeding plan for you.

I like the idea of you going with something that compliments your cows. If you wanted to stick with one bull be sure and try to look at a bull or have someone who has seen the bull. We have seen a lot of numbers being chased that don't reflect what a bull really does and in a couple of years his numbers won't be anything like they are now. Give a bull a couple of years to see what his numbers really are going to be. We saw this issue with our herd sire and his numbers are improving as he gets more calves on the ground. Also look at different bull tests and see what type of genetics guys have large sire groups of to see what kind of growers you are getting on a year in and year out basis. just my two cents.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Angus breed is in a position of having to identify specific bulls in the breed as "cow makers"? I may be suffering from some nostalgic notions, but was there not a time when virtually all Angus were "cow makers"? I guess that is the reward, or the cost, depending on your perspective of the "jack of all" breeding pursuit that the Angus breed has essentially embraced the last 25 years. It is virtually impossible for one breed to be the master of all traits and functions simutaneously. And so the question of cow maker or not is the inevitable result of a breeding pursuit that assumed the breed could keep maternal excellence and at the same time compete with the continental breeds on growth, ribeye, less fat, more marbling, etc, etc, and keep calving ease. So, good, bad or indifferent, the question acknowledges the functional traditional breed distinguishing sacrifice.

gizmom":179pqbx7 said:
lakading

What do you like about 4336?

I like his dam & the few daughters of his that I've seen. I also like that he's more balanced than extreme in most of his EPDs.

I do wish his scrotal and docility EPDs were higher. But I don't keep any cows around that have temperment issues, so I don't see the DOC being a problem. As far as the scrotal EPD goes, EXT had a terrible scrotal EPD and he turned out to be quite the cow maker. So although I'd like Density's scrotal EPD to be higher, I won't hold that against him in regards to his ability to be a maternal sire.

Also, I wish the milk EPD was a little lower. But I do think that the milk EPDs are quite skewed by management practices at times, so I don't worry too much about his milk EPD either.

He's only coming 8, so his true value as a maternal sire probably won't be fully realized for another 5+ years. But I really like what I see so far.

Dylan Biggs":22p8dmq3 said:
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Angus breed is in a position of having to identify specific bulls in the breed as "cow makers"? I may be suffering from some nostalgic notions, but was there not a time when virtually all Angus were "cow makers"? I guess that is the reward, or the cost, depending on your perspective of the "jack of all" breeding pursuit that the Angus breed has essentially embraced the last 25 years. It is virtually impossible for one breed to be the master of all traits and functions simutaneously. And so the question of cow maker or not is the inevitable result of a breeding pursuit that assumed the breed could keep maternal excellence and at the same time compete with the continental breeds on growth, ribeye, less fat, more marbling, etc, etc, and keep calving ease. So, good, bad or indifferent, the question acknowledges the functional traditional breed distinguishing sacrifice.

AMEN Dylan !

Dylan and OT, I haven't got a fraction of the knowledge of you guys but I've also had some questions about all the single trait selections and it's affect on the overall survivability of a breed if they were left to fend for themselves. It almost seems breeds are getting their natural instincts bred out of them. I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this post but I'm not one to follow the crowd. Just like running a Longhorn bull on some first calf heifers I have. Can't get much more nostalgic than a Longhorn right?

now i love my angus cows, but the fact is every breed brings a little something diffrent to the table. some maternal some terminal and imo we need to keep all these breeds around, one breed cannot do it all, all the time . red polls simi charolais u name the breed and they have good quality's and a few not so good this whole back hide thing bothers. me i have raised cattle since 1979. mostly comercial. angus, and hereford. and i feel in the near future it wont matter what color the hide is, as this beef herd gets smaller and exports grow who knows where it will all end up. all i am saying is i guess we are lucky to be along for the ride.

What about predestined? Heard good reports about those cattle being able to keep condition, be moderate, and of course with extra carcass.

Latest posts