Angus Cow Makers

Help Support CattleToday:

Pulmonary Artery Pressure is measured at altitude to determine susceptability to heart failure, if I remember correctly the lower the pressure the less likely they are to succumb. 3way can give you more info.

robert":3fzrc8ee said:
Pulmonary Artery Pressure is measured at altitude to determine susceptability to heart failure, if I remember correctly the lower the pressure the less likely they are to succumb. 3way can give you more info.

That's close enuf. Good description!

Till-Hill":2y0yzr9c said:
I believe and this is my opinion but if you individually mate your cows to their strengths and weaknesses you will get uniformity alot faster than using one bull across your whole herd. Just simple things like mate the big cow to the smaller of the bulls and vice versa. Calf crop will really start to come into one......works for me.

Would like to see some pics, doubt anyone is that good beating nature's laws

Old_man_emu":cgdh92u7 said:
HA! You learn something everyday! I guess we don't have areas high enough in Australia for it to be a concern...
The highest mountain here is only 7310ft and cattle no longer graze that high as it's a National Park. What sort of altittudes are you guys talking about?

Old_man_emu":2jvbq7br said:
Old_man_emu":2jvbq7br said:
HA! You learn something everyday! I guess we don't have areas high enough in Australia for it to be a concern...
The highest mountain here is only 7310ft and cattle no longer graze that high as it's a National Park. What sort of altittudes are you guys talking about?

Over 7000ft is where they fall victim to Brisket Disease.

Scroote":z1y9phs7 said:
Till-Hill":z1y9phs7 said:
I believe and this is my opinion but if you individually mate your cows to their strengths and weaknesses you will get uniformity alot faster than using one bull across your whole herd. Just simple things like mate the big cow to the smaller of the bulls and vice versa. Calf crop will really start to come into one......works for me.

Scroote I will get you some pics. You would be alot better off to just drive on over some day and take a look for yourself. I mate every cow I own both dairy and beef and breed the bulls strength to a cows weakness. Doesn't always come out perfect but I have 3/4 sisters I will never breed the same way as they are alot different in lets say fleshing ability and fertility. Yes I understand huge commercial guys can't A.I every single cow they own but sorting their cows in with a bull that will help fix some of their problems it will for sure make some progress on a uniform herd.
At our dairy we used to run a bull till we got about 20-30 daughters then we would move to the next bull. We would end up with 30-40 daughters and there wasn't more than a pair of them that would fit together. Now A.I. 90% of them and mating 150 cows to 20-25 different bulls we get a pretty uniform heifer crop.......I think in both beef and dairy it is a great tool to use all kinds of genetics as we have easy access to alot of stuff these days!

lawson's angus individual had mate over 2000 stud cows a year, but I believe it is in somewhat in the pursuit of EBV's as much as anything else.
On the corrective mating front, only keeping the top percentage of heifers and making sure they are an even line to begin with should reduce the amount of correction needed.
It's so interesting, everyone has different views on how to meet the same end goal!

Scroote":1x89gygk said:
Till-Hill":1x89gygk said:

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to correct, the number of things you are trying to correct simultaneously and the degree of the correction. Single trait correction can be quite simple with a proven sire.
Seldom if ever though does the intended single trait correction come alone, unaccompanied by any other influences, and almost always some of those other accompanying unintended results will then need correction also.
And around and around the little correcting mouse goes. Natures genetic laws are very hard if not impossible to short circuit.

A humorous (to me at least) reworking of "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" .

There was an Old Granny that started a breed,
Hugh felt the need to start up a breed,
Did he succeed?
They bred her to Jock to keep her polled,
But then all the daughters didn't get so old,
But at least they were polled.
They bred her to Laddie to keep her black,
Polled and Black! Imagine that.
No going back.
They brought the breed across the ocean,
With a good deal of polled and black promotion,
Oh what commotion.
They bred her to Sunbeam to make her squat,
Like it or not, they made her squat.
Was it all for naught?
They bred her to Colossal to make her bigger,
Bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger,
That's what they figured.
They bred her to a Holstein to make her milk flow,
And see just how far they could get her to go
Well now we know.
They bred her to Rito to make her gain,
And make bigger cows for folks to maintain,
Oh what a pain.
They bred her to Big Sky to make her tall,
To compete with the Chi's and Simmentals,
She beat 'em all.
They bred her to Precision to make her scan,
And so on and so on, there is no plan,
It's all a scam.
They bred her to Precision to fix the Big Sky,
They bred her to Big Sky to fix the Rito,
They bred her to Rito to fix the Holstein,
They bred her to Holstein to fix the Colossal,
They bred her to Colossal to fix the Sunbeam,
They bred her to Sunbeam to fix the Laddie,
They bred her to Laddie to fix the Jock,
They bred her to Jock to fix the Granny of Old,
And they're still black and polled!

Tom D

You got him Dylan, his AAA is 5475692 and perhaps more important than his epds is the fact that he was tested recessive trait free through progeny.

Latest posts