Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tegridy Farms said:
I agree with Caustic Burno, an animal that needs feed in a sack is a problem, and also agree with Ebenezer and Sim Ang King when it comes down to basic math, if you have to feed em, you ain't making money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that cattle that need anymore than what they can find on there own are more of a problem for you than a worker. Just look at dairy business, they fed cattle, now they are broke. I wouldn't take Brookhills bulls if he gave them to me, they need too much attention and fancy papers don't make great cattle I also wouldn't give you a penny for show cattle, most of the time once the blow dryer and shampoo is put away they go back to looking like everything else I've seen at the salebarn.

I don't see all of their books, but my experience is that the dairy farmers who pay the expensive nutritionist have had no problems paying their vet bills the last couple of years. The grazers and cheap ration guys are selling their cows.

If your cattle can't turn feed into profit, you need better cattle, not crappier feed.

Hay will always be a necessity at least for a few months, most places you can only extend grazing out so long. As for dairy cows they have to have some pretty good grain rations to meet production needs. Grass fed dairies may have a niche market but certainly not for the mainstream. Grain isn't the evil thing that some make it out to be. Lots of different models of cattle farming out there, no one size fits all. Too much feed can be a detriment to cattle and bank account, but a little along within reason can help keep cows nutritionally in shape in the winter. Unless someone has vast spreads of native grasses, or heavily seeded and fertilized rotational grazing, feeder calves are going to need some supplementation at times to reach some potential.

Tegridy Farms said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Tegridy Farms said:
I agree with Caustic Burno, an animal that needs feed in a sack is a problem, and also agree with Ebenezer and Sim Ang King when it comes down to basic math, if you have to feed em, you ain't making money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that cattle that need anymore than what they can find on there own are more of a problem for you than a worker. Just look at dairy business, they fed cattle, now they are broke. I wouldn't take Brookhills bulls if he gave them to me, they need too much attention and fancy papers don't make great cattle I also wouldn't give you a penny for show cattle, most of the time once the blow dryer and shampoo is put away they go back to looking like everything else I've seen at the salebarn.

WOW - aren't we knowledgeable. You should go to the wash rack at 5am and see what some of those fluffy cattle look like - LOL. Not all show people/cattle are the same.
You don't know me from a hole in the wall. Take a 2nd look at that cow and bull calf. No, they do NOT have a bunch of hair. And we don't "fit" our cattle. We wash, blow and show. My cattle perform out in the pasture with any commercial herd you want to compare them to in my environment. My herd is managed like a commercial herd. Cows do NOT get any grain (unless you are a lucky cow in the show string). Right now, she is out grazing like all the other cows and will eat only hay all winter in our Upstate NY weather. Very opinionated retired arm-chair quarterback.

Well at least we can agree on one thing any form of grain is BAD! I see a trend in the cattle business not to even feed hay, to see how long they can go before they just can't push through another day, I don't think that's a half bad idea considering that hay is expensive. One things for sure it will make them tough, and thats what pays bills.

What are they going to eat when grass stops growing, dirt?

HDRider said:
Tegridy Farms said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
WOW - aren't we knowledgeable. You should go to the wash rack at 5am and see what some of those fluffy cattle look like - LOL. Not all show people/cattle are the same.
You don't know me from a hole in the wall. Take a 2nd look at that cow and bull calf. No, they do NOT have a bunch of hair. And we don't "fit" our cattle. We wash, blow and show. My cattle perform out in the pasture with any commercial herd you want to compare them to in my environment. My herd is managed like a commercial herd. Cows do NOT get any grain (unless you are a lucky cow in the show string). Right now, she is out grazing like all the other cows and will eat only hay all winter in our Upstate NY weather. Very opinionated retired arm-chair quarterback.

Well at least we can agree on one thing any form of grain is BAD! I see a trend in the cattle business not to even feed hay, to see how long they can go before they just can't push through another day, I don't think that's a half bad idea considering that hay is expensive. One things for sure it will make them tough, and thats what pays bills.

I doubt Sydney Kidman was lugging around a feed sack and baling hay when he was running 200k head of cattle. They either made it or died. This is the way cattle should be raised again now that things have changed.

Tegridy Farms said:
HDRider said:
Tegridy Farms said:

I doubt Sydney Kidman was lugging around a feed sack and baling hay when he was running 200k head of cattle. They either made it or died. This is the way cattle should be raised again now that things have changed.
Here we are,fighting the government and peta about crap like this..and here you are, fueling the fire..

I think everyone has their own idea on how cattle "should" be managed. It depends almost entirely on the environment. That means resources like pasture, acreage, facilities, buildings, climate, etc.

I know producers who have small farms and in order to run the number of head they do, they have to feed hay or formulated feeds.

It is a free country to some extent or at least within social limitations, so do it however you want.

There is a guy a half mile from me who is 74. His cattle basically are wild. He has a lot of land and over 200 head. He does put out hay but he said some don't even come up for hay. He guesses that he has more than a 10 % mortality rate. He doesn't have a clue about herd fertility or how many cows go open each year. Does he make money? No. He said they don't cover the overhead of land, taxes, hay, etc. In fact, he say he doesn't even get all the calves harvested each year. He said if he had the motivation, he would hire someone to round them up, load them, and haul them to market. He tells me every year that he is going to do that.

Tegridy Farms said:
HDRider said:
Tegridy Farms said:

Those cattle grazed an area almost the size of England

sim.-ang.king said:
You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

Let me see your skinny weaned bull calves here's one of mine pics took today AAA#19391143

Richnm said:
sim.-ang.king said:
You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

Let me see your skinny weaned bull calves here's one of mine pics took today AAA#19391143

Just going to leave this here... Congrats on having the worst footed 8 month old I've ever seen. Too hot of feed, dear Richnm.

But what do I know?
https://www.angus.org/performance/footscore/footscoreposter.pdf

And sorry that I haven't been able to post much. Raising 591 of our own head and bringing in hundreds more of someone else's, sure creates a lot of work.

Off to bed. You have a blessed evening playing with Flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts