Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:
Can you at least provide what yearling seedstock bulls weigh? You must have some concept of that or you would not be implying that Branded is a liar.

If you think 12 month old bulls weigh 1800 lbs your as full of it as the poster.

Hold on CB. James said his 12 month old bull was 1320. It was the sock puppet "Tegridy Farms" that fabricated that 1800 pound weight. Please, go back and read.

The weight might be right you can bet the birthdays are doctored.

Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
If you think 12 month old bulls weigh 1800 lbs your as full of it as the poster.

Hold on CB. James said his 12 month old bull was 1320. It was the sock puppet "Tegridy Farms" that fabricated that 1800 pound weight. Please, go back and read.

The weight might be right you can bet the birthdays are doctored.

CB, that is not kind. James is sometimes an eccentric azz, but I truly believe he is honest. If his cows and the bulls he uses cannot produce 1320 pound yearlings, I will give you my farm.

Caustic Burno said:
I don't believe that BS for one minute on 12 month bull weight .

Let the record stand.

In your great experience, what do yearling bulls weigh on average, let's use a breed you are familiar with, Hereford.

Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
Tegridy Farms said:
Branded has a post on Instagram that shows a President bull at 1320 pounds as a yearling. I'm not impressed. Maybe if he'd been 1700-1800 pounds at 12 months, but 1320 ain't bragging rights in my book. He should have gained at least 5-6 pounds a day. He's a long ways from Farmwife whose doing that with her smallest bulls.

Someone needs to learn to use a calendar. Those weights are richer than three feet up one of those yearlings butts.
I just had BSEs performed on two yearling bulls, one was 1190 and the other was 1160. They were weighed by the vet at his clinic.
I can attest to at least one of Bright Raven's bulls. I have seen the 1190 bull.

1320-80lbs (birth wt estimated)= 1240 lbs divided by 365 days equals roughly 3.4 lbs daily gain. With the size of his cattle, the quality of his pastures, and the common knowledge (as James has pointed out many times in the past) that he feeds them very well, its not unrealistic to see a yearling wt as in the video. I likely couldnt do it for several reasons; feed cost and cow size just to name a few.

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
I just had BSEs performed on two yearling bulls, one was 1190 and the other was 1160. They were weighed by the vet at his clinic.
I can attest to at least one of Bright Raven's bulls. I have seen the 1190 bull.

One makes his home in Indiana now...

bball said:
sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:

And the other in Tennessee.

bball said:
sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:

I still don't believe the birthdate on those cattle. I don't doubt the scales it's the calendar. Average gain on feed is 2 to 2.25 lbs a day he is doing better than 3 everyday for 365 :bs:
Better call Cargill they would like to genome map those bovine.

The rule in the Simmental breed is 100 pounds per month. If your genetics cannot achieve that on a modest nutrition regiment, you better find another vocation.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
sstterry said:

I still don't believe the birthdate on those cattle. I don't doubt the scales it's the calendar. Average gain on feed is 2 to 2.25 lbs a day he is doing better than 3 everyday for 365 :bs:

CB, I understand where you are coming from. I believe Oldtimer posted many years ago that 1000 lbs was his goal for an Angus yearling bull. That is 2.5 lbs per day and more in line with what you are saying.

I am not an apologist for Branded or his program, but i do believe his bull weighs 1320 lbs as a yearling. I have seen their size and know how much feed he puts into them. He is not running average sized Angus, nor is his nutrition program something the conventional cattleman uses. Both of these factors are significantly above average; possibly outliers.

Tegridy Farms said:
Branded has a post on Instagram that shows a President bull at 1320 pounds as a yearling. I'm not impressed. Maybe if he'd been 1700-1800 pounds at 12 months, but 1320 ain't bragging rights in my book. He should have gained at least 5-6 pounds a day. He's a long ways from Farmwife whose doing that with her smallest bulls.

I will buy you a calculator and a tutor to teach you how to use it.

Richnm said:
Tegridy Farms said:

I will buy you a calculator and a tutor to teach you how to use it.

You can't compare Branded to NE farmwife. Pictures are worth a million words one is first class one feeds her cows on the ground a single pellet.

Richnm said:
You can't compare Branded to NE farmwife. Pictures are worth a million words one is first class, one feeds her cows on the ground a single pellet.

You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

sim.-ang.king said:
You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

Totally agree. I have no issue with what Branded is doing and find it interesting, but his king of the castle attitude sucks, especially towards real world farmers who sink or swim by every decision they make.

Redgully said:
Totally agree. I have no issue with what Branded is doing and find it interesting, but his king of the castle attitude sucks, especially towards real world farmers who sink or swim by every decision they make.
I think that is entirely the point Raven made in the beginning. What Branded is doing is not what the everyday cattleman can afford to do. Can he make a profit, sure he can. But, can he make a living doing it, I doubt it. I don't criticize him for being successful outside of cattle. There are tons of rich guys that are in cattle, and a lot of those are the ones that have contributed to genetic improvements. Branded has an ego that is for sure and he is a self promoter.

That is not to take away from NE farmwife. They have a self-sustaining profitable ranch and that is something to be proud of these days. But, they are different operations with different goals entirely. She too is a self-promoter. The point is, I don't think it is fair to be critical of either of them. We all do what we have to make a living.

PS...Rich, you may want to take that pic above down, it is pretty identifying.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
sstterry said:

CB - you are way off base. Bull test stations easily have bulls gaining 5-6# ADG. Heck, even PA bull tests get that, and that's with N.East cattle. After all, aren't the REAL cattle producers in the mid-west and South?
1300# yearling weights are not that uncommon.
Heck, my little bull that stayed on the cow for show purposes, weighed 1000# at exactly 9 months of age - with getting maybe 4# of grain a day, mom's milk and all the hay he wanted. Here he is at 8.5 months - not an ounce of fat. (weaned 2 days later - was left on cow 2 weeks longer than the rest of our calf crop)

Bulls at 205 x 3# ADG = 615# - That is an average bull calf, not a good one, definitely not a GREAT ONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts