Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question for the majority is economics versus maximum potential. One is black ink and one is red ink. The law of diminishing returns strikes again. Much of the same old same old. Figure out as soon as you can as to what has a combination of working the easiest and the best and paying bills and do it. Or just hobby around.

sim.-ang.king said:
You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

I have a lot of hay. I mean a lot.

Instead of crossing Genetics for hybrid vigor, you could just feed your cows more, or spend a little money and buy better Genetics. Takes money to make money. All of you hate BH because he has bank 🏦 , and tractors with a cabs 🚜

Ebenezer said:
The question for the majority is economics versus maximum potential. One is black ink and one is red ink. The law of diminishing returns strikes again. Much of the same old same old. Figure out as soon as you can as to what has a combination of working the easiest and the best and paying bills and do it. Or just hobby around.

Truth! Ebenezer has summed this discussion up to a t.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
One makes his home in Indiana now...

I still don't believe the birthdate on those cattle. I don't doubt the scales it's the calendar. Average gain on feed is 2 to 2.25 lbs a day he is doing better than 3 everyday for 365 :bs:
Better call Cargill they would like to genome map those bovine.
CB - you are way off base. Bull test stations easily have bulls gaining 5-6# ADG. Heck, even PA bull tests get that, and that's with N.East cattle. After all, aren't the REAL cattle producers in the mid-west and South?
1300# yearling weights are not that uncommon.
Heck, my little bull that stayed on the cow for show purposes, weighed 1000# at exactly 9 months of age - with getting maybe 4# of grain a day, mom's milk and all the hay he wanted. Here he is at 8.5 months - not an ounce of fat. (weaned 2 days later - was left on cow 2 weeks longer than the rest of our calf crop)

Bulls at 205 x 3# ADG = 615# - That is an average bull calf, not a good one, definitely not a GREAT ONE.

No I am not off base as those high ration gains were found to have tons of problems. Those gains were found to be detrimental to fertility and soundness.
Last bull you would want for a herd sire that was propped up with a feed sack.

I don't hate him. He has a DIFFERENT program than I do. Enjoys feeding his cattle more than they need, but it's HIS program. He wants big and that's what he is breeding for.
I totally believe those bulls are yearlings and they weigh in the 1300# range. If you have size and muscling, that is not a hard goal.

I don't hate him. He has a DIFFERENT program than I do. Enjoys feeding his cattle more than they need, but it's HIS program. He wants big and that's what he is breeding for.
I totally believe those bulls are yearlings and they weigh in the 1300# range. If you have size and muscling, that is not a hard goal.

I like your cows and always read and take your advice. That was a comment made to others. When BH would say anything they all would jump on him.

Richnm said:

I like your cows and always read and take your advice. That was a comment made to others. When BH would say anything they all would jump all over him.

Richnm said:
sim.-ang.king said:
You're right, you can't compare the two.
One is bank rolling his fat cows with outside off farm income, and one is running a self-sustaining profitable cattle ranch.
But Rich from New Mexico knows how to feed his darn cows, so he knows fat cows are the best cows.

I have a lot of hay. I mean a lot.

Instead of crossing Genetics for hybrid vigor, you could just feed your cows more, or spend a little money and buy better Genetics. Takes money to make money. All of you hate BH because he has bank 🏦 , and tractors with a cabs 🚜

:lol: "Just feed more" if you have to feed more to improve your cattle then I question your abilities at cattle selection. :lol:

If you don't stack too much calving ease in the pedigree, there is no reason in the world you cannot consistently produce1200 pound yearling bulls using contemporary Simmental genetics. In fact, you can do it on good pasture. If you don't have good forage, you can do it on a moderate nutritional program that accents growth and not fat.

I agree with Caustic Burno, an animal that needs feed in a sack is a problem, and also agree with Ebenezer and Sim Ang King when it comes down to basic math, if you have to feed em, you ain't making money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that cattle that need anymore than what they can find on there own are more of a problem for you than a worker. Just look at dairy business, they fed cattle, now they are broke. I wouldn't take Brookhills bulls if he gave them to me, they need too much attention and fancy papers don't make great cattle I also wouldn't give you a penny for show cattle, most of the time once the blow dryer and shampoo is put away they go back to looking like everything else I've seen at the salebarn.

Tegridy Farms said:
I agree with Caustic Burno, an animal that needs feed in a sack is a problem, and also agree with Ebenezer and Sim Ang King when it comes down to basic math, if you have to feed em, you ain't making money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that cattle that need anymore than what they can find on there own are more of a problem for you than a worker. Just look at dairy business, they fed cattle, now they are broke. I wouldn't take Brookhills bulls if he gave them to me, they need too much attention and fancy papers don't make great cattle I also wouldn't give you a penny for show cattle, most of the time once the blow dryer and shampoo is put away they go back to looking like everything else I've seen at the salebarn.
dairy cows feed=milk and the confidence they'll have the ability too produce more of it in the future.. :lol2:

Tegridy Farms said:

WOW - aren't we knowledgeable. You should go to the wash rack at 5am and see what some of those fluffy cattle look like - LOL. Not all show people/cattle are the same.
You don't know me from a hole in the wall. Take a 2nd look at that cow and bull calf. No, they do NOT have a bunch of hair. And we don't "fit" our cattle. We wash, blow and show. My cattle perform out in the pasture with any commercial herd you want to compare them to in my environment. My herd is managed like a commercial herd. Cows do NOT get any grain (unless you are a lucky cow in the show string). Right now, she is out grazing like all the other cows and will eat only hay all winter in our Upstate NY weather. Very opinionated retired arm-chair quarterback.

Caustic Burno said:
bball said:
One makes his home in Indiana now...

I still don't believe the birthdate on those cattle. I don't doubt the scales it's the calendar. Average gain on feed is 2 to 2.25 lbs a day he is doing better than 3 everyday for 365 :bs:
Better call Cargill they would like to genome map those bovine.
CB - you are way off base. Bull test stations easily have bulls gaining 5-6# ADG. Heck, even PA bull tests get that, and that's with N.East cattle. After all, aren't the REAL cattle producers in the mid-west and South?
1300# yearling weights are not that uncommon.
Heck, my little bull that stayed on the cow for show purposes, weighed 1000# at exactly 9 months of age - with getting maybe 4# of grain a day, mom's milk and all the hay he wanted. Here he is at 8.5 months - not an ounce of fat. (weaned 2 days later - was left on cow 2 weeks longer than the rest of our calf crop)

Bulls at 205 x 3# ADG = 615# - That is an average bull calf, not a good one, definitely not a GREAT ONE.

Don't forget to add birthweight into that figure.

Tegridy Farms said:

WOW - aren't we knowledgeable. You should go to the wash rack at 5am and see what some of those fluffy cattle look like - LOL. Not all show people/cattle are the same.
You don't know me from a hole in the wall. Take a 2nd look at that cow and bull calf. No, they do NOT have a bunch of hair. And we don't "fit" our cattle. We wash, blow and show. My cattle perform out in the pasture with any commercial herd you want to compare them to in my environment. My herd is managed like a commercial herd. Cows do NOT get any grain (unless you are a lucky cow in the show string). Right now, she is out grazing like all the other cows and will eat only hay all winter in our Upstate NY weather. Very opinionated retired arm-chair quarterback.

Well at least we can agree on one thing any form of grain is BAD! I see a trend in the cattle business not to even feed hay, to see how long they can go before they just can't push through another day, I don't think that's a half bad idea considering that hay is expensive. One things for sure it will make them tough, and thats what pays bills.

Tegridy Farms said:
Tegridy Farms said:

Well at least we can agree on one thing any form of grain is BAD! I see a trend in the cattle business not to even feed hay, to see how long they can go before they just can't push through another day, I don't think that's a half bad idea considering that hay is expensive. One things for sure it will make them tough, and thats what pays bills.
Being frugal and self sustainable ...don't see Hay going anywhere. not enough ground ...and a good year of drought will put you back at ground zero..starting over, finding some more of those ""beef"" cows that live on rocks and saw briers..

Tegridy Farms said:
Tegridy Farms said:

I think you were wise to have that dispersal sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts