Angus Bull suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

thanks everyone. i like this bull personally. does anyone have thoughts about him?
reg #14476613
QLC LaGrand Forum

i like moderate framed cattle. The problem with this heifer through her whole show career was that she was one of the smallest in her class. This is the only reason that i would like to breed her to a larger bull.

As for where i get my semen i will have to buy it so i can buy it anywhere. There is an offshoot of coba in my area and they will ai the heifer for me. I just want to find the best bull i can find.

bubchub":mhlvl4d8 said:
the heifer is unbred because she was bred and due to an ag teacher thinking she abotrted she was given a heat shot which made her abort the calf(which was 6 months along). The calf was sponsored so the school actually owned her and the ag teachers were tired of caring for her so they sold her to me for a greatly discounted price. My ag teacher said that we need to breed her to a tall bull as she is short so we were looking for the tallest bull we could find.
bubchub-

EASY - Easy - easy - - -I recommend that you do not go overboard with SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION methods - WHATEVER the seeming justification for it! You should consider ALL of the Characteristics which affect the FUTURE of your herd before jumping into a radical procedure such as getting the tallest bull you can find!! :shock: :???: :roll: HELLO!! Study the entire EPD spectrum before jumping into an impulsive action which could take YEARS to straighten out. Seek information from some of us on the Forum before believing everything that you hear - from whomever it might be!!

DOC HARRIS

To tell you the truth i felt the same way...but my ag teacher told me to find the tallest bull. that is why i like the second bull that i suggested...he has produced show calves and he seems to be well balanced.

I like moderate and smaller cattle- and with her bloodlines and the fact she is 2 years old I'd breed her to
SINCLAIR RITO LEGACY 3R9 AAA # 14378386

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1695

Add capacity and muscling while keeping all the positive qualities of her smaller frame size- moderate milk and weaning and yearling weight....Legacy's sire- RR Rito 707 shows up several times already back in her pedigree- and could bring back the qualities that had Dale Davis saying that 707 was the best bull he raised or owned... My second choices would be one of the OCC bulls or
DDA EMBLAZON 27C AAA # 14257843

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... =237AN1713

Well I guess you should respect your teachers opinion,but you paid for the heifer and you will pay for the semen,and you pay for everything else.If you pick the wrong bull you loose a year,not a big deal,but if you pick the right bull your a year ahead.If you think you might want to breed cattle in the future you have a chance to start building a maternal cow herd,if not no big deal try to win.

I wish someone would have told me when I was in high school that bigger,better,faster wasn't always the best way to go.

Oldtimer also offers some good sugestions I am real excited to see how 3R9 worked on some of my cows next spring.OCC legend would not be my first choice if she were mine,but might have a little more show to them and still keep the Ohlde type.

Central Fl Cracker":3seyoq1d said:
The 2 that do not show very well to me are
Stewart and Sensation Bulls. You are right the other bulls look real good.
Keep in mind I have seen a lot of Bulls posted on this site and even some of mine ( which I agree need more groceries and age)and most of them get critised pretty bad, so I am learning by pictures and not epd's what people consider is a good Bull. No but is a big one and I do not see much of a butt on Stewart and the Sensation Bull. Also they are still wearing their heavy coats and have not slicked up yet.

IF we are talking about the same pics (ie the sale catalog) the sale was on April the twenty first. That means that the pics for the catalog have to be taken at least 60 days before then for the catalog to get made and mailed to all of their customers. If so, that would make the dates of the pics ~February the twentieth. They need those winter coats in February in Kansas. I agree with you that Sensation certainly could show a little more muscle expression. He is also has a minus 1.9 birth weight EPD and a 65 lb birth weight bull. That makes him a dedicated heifer bull. You sometimes sacrifice a little muscle and bone for that.

Central Fl Cracker":2v7qb9bq said:
Brando what does this mean?

"That makes him a dedicated heifer bull"

He is the kind of bull that people will breed their heifers too in order to increase their odds of getting a live first calf.

All the A.I. studs keep a couple of calving ease sires in their lineup. A good example is Genex's Oak Hollow 7709....

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 89&lang=EN

A lot of herds will have a heifer bull and a mature cow bull.

Central Fl Cracker":10zq6ymq said:
The ones I was referring to was Stewart and Sensation Bulls that was listed in their sales catalog. The other bulls on a different page do look better.

http://www.ohldecattle.com/assets/sale2008/Ohlde2008_18monthbulls.pdf

I was there at the sale and those two not good looking bulls sold for over $9000 each, the sale averaged $6300 for registered bulls. They looked a lot different at the sale than in the catalog.

Ohlde cattle are fed no corn. Those bulls were developed on a triticale silage and prairie hay ration. They do exceptionally well on such a low energy ration. For Florida , I would think you might be interested in a Senepol cross,, Tim is working on a Senepol/Angus/Friesian cross and they look pretty good.

As far as this heifer under discussion, if you want little at birth and showy, I would use Legend. If you want little at birth Use 6I6, OCC Homer, OCC Moderator, OCC Mitchell, basically OCC anything.

Bubchub-- On paper I like your heifer- she has the even across the board and moderate numbers and some of the pedigree direction we have been buying in expanding our registered cows.....(707, Shoshone, Viking, 6807,Juanada, Goldmere, etc.)
She should make you a good momma cow.....

Seems like Baldridge Nebraska 901 might be a nice match. Hard to say without seeing a pic of her.

Latest posts