Angus Bull suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
i just purchased an open heifer that was shown at my highschool. She is a small to medium frame heifer with adequate depth of body and spring of rib but she lacks femininity. I am clueless when it comes to Angus cattle and i am looking for suggestions on an Angus bull to ai her with to produce calves would be show quality as well as do good in the pasture.

The bull S A V 5157 Bando 1024 was suggested by an ag teacher but i would like to get more opinions.

bubchub":1ynv6gp0 said:
i just purchased an open heifer that was shown at my highschool. She is a small to medium frame heifer with adequate depth of body and spring of rib but she lacks femininity. I am clueless when it comes to Angus cattle and i am looking for suggestions on an Angus bull to ai her with to produce calves would be show quality as well as do good in the pasture.

The bull S A V 5157 Bando 1024 was suggested by an ag teacher but i would like to get more opinions.

The heifer is a full two years old, but I'd still be concerned about breeding her to that bull. He has a calving ease EPD of 1. That's not good. A higher number is better.

I'd suggest you post this on the "Show" board at this site and you might visit Breeders World. It seems to be mostly about showing. Also, did the people you bought the heifer from offer any suggestions? Did they comment about why she's not already bred?

Breeders World: Here's the link: http://www.breedersworld.com/phorum/list.php?2

I would breed her to occ legend but S A V 5157 Bando 1024 might work good for a show calf.You could always breed her to Butters :D

I like the way your heifer is breed.

bubchub":k4u3qg1s said:

bubchub-

Your ag teacher's suggestion of S A V 5157 Bando 1024 was in line with Angus Genetics, however his BW EPD is a little high at +4.8 and an Accuracy at 87. Her BW at +1.5 is very good, as are the rest of her Production and Maternal EPD's, however I would agree with EAT BEEF in recommending O C C Legend 616L. His BW is -.8 along with WW +44 and YW +63. His first 70 calves averaged 70# at birth, which is excellent for your heifer. Also, you would be staying with O C C breeding on both sides of your calf's pedigree, which would establish you with an excellent start in the Angus breeding business, and should provide you with a good show calf to boot. OCC genetics are among the best in the Angus breed currently, In My Opinion.

DOC HARRIS

I checked out their website and based on their pictures I am not sure they look so great. I am basing this on Bulls that have been posted on this site and most of them get tore up pretty bad just on looks. See for your self and explain this to me since they do not look that good appearance wise.

Pics of most breed legends would get ripped up pretty badly on these boards (especially if he had just come off of grass and settling 50 cows). We tend to like them grain fattened and lazy, here. Ohlde is a program that emphasizes moderate frames, moderate growth, easy fleshing, thick cattle that can thrive in more of a real world cattle environment than many programs. NOT your typical elite Angus herd.

Central Fl Cracker said:
I checked out their website and based on their pictures I am not sure they look so great. I am basing this on Bulls that have been posted on this site and most of them get tore up pretty bad just on looks. See for your self and explain this to me since they do not look that good appearance wise.[/

I have seen them all on the web site and like most of them.I have also used quite a few of them and sure like the results.
Could you please tell us the bulls in particular you don't like or perhaps you don't like any of them?

the heifer is unbred because she was bred and due to an ag teacher thinking she abotrted she was given a heat shot which made her abort the calf(which was 6 months along). The calf was sponsored so the school actually owned her and the ag teachers were tired of caring for her so they sold her to me for a greatly discounted price. My ag teacher said that we need to breed her to a tall bull as she is short so we were looking for the tallest bull we could find.

Well you sure beat me to that.
You should be a mind reader C F Cracker.

bubchub":3gh0nd8a said:
the heifer is unbred because she was bred and due to an ag teacher thinking she abotrted she was given a heat shot which made her abort the calf(which was 6 months along). The calf was sponsored so the school actually owned her and the ag teachers were tired of caring for her so they sold her to me for a greatly discounted price. My ag teacher said that we need to breed her to a tall bull as she is short so we were looking for the tallest bull we could find.

Well it all depends on the route you want to go.To me you have a nice chance to start with the ohlde genetics.You might check out the ohlde web site and see if that is of intrest to you.You will have better results imo breeding like to like,but if you want bigger cattle shes your heifer.

she was bred and due to an ag teacher You have to watch those ag teachers sometimes

The 2 that do not show very well to me are
Stewart and Sensation Bulls. You are right the other bulls look real good.
Keep in mind I have seen a lot of Bulls posted on this site and even some of mine ( which I agree need more groceries and age)and most of them get critised pretty bad, so I am learning by pictures and not epd's what people consider is a good Bull. No but is a big one and I do not see much of a butt on Stewart and the Sensation Bull. Also they are still wearing their heavy coats and have not slicked up yet.

bubchub":3fj43vr7 said:

I won't comment about an ag teacher who didn't palpate the cow before he gave her a shot! What's done is done and hopefully you'll benefit from it.

If you're wanting a tall bull, and I don't buy into the "shorter is better" philosophy going around these days, you might not want to use OCC genetics. Do you understand EPDs? Here's a link to Angus EPDs and what they mean. Pay special attention to Yearling Height (YH) and Mature Height (MH). Those are indicators of how one bull's progeny stack up against other Angus bull's progeny for height.

http://www.angus.org/sireeval/howto.html

Where will you get semen to breed her? Does the school have some or will you have to order? There are many easy calving, balanced EPD, tall Angus bulls around, but which supplier you use might make a difference in which bull to use. We raise performance Angus, not show stock, so I don't have a lot of help for you. One bull that comes to mind is the old bull Krugerrand of Donamere 490. He'd give you some frame and attractive daughters. He's one of the few Angus bulls that I ever saw produce many show winners and bull test winners. I'm sure there are more current sires that would work for you, that's why I suggested you go to a more show-oriented forum. Good luck with her. PM me if you think I can help.

Central Fl Cracker":3ianjyrh said:
The 2 that do not show very well to me are
Stewart and Sensation Bulls. You are right the other bulls look real good.
Keep in mind I have seen a lot of Bulls posted on this site and even some of mine ( which I agree need more groceries and age)and most of them get critised pretty bad, so I am learning by pictures and not epd's what people consider is a good Bull. No but is a big one and I do not see much of a butt on Stewart and the Sensation Bull. Also they are still wearing their heavy coats and have not slicked up yet.

I can't find my sale book,but I bet if you were to see them in the fall you would like them. You either like ohlde stuff or hate it but it breeds true. The bulls I have from them stay fat on snowballs and the more generations I get in the cows the better doing they get.

Latest posts