Angus bull opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
I really enjoy looking through all of the pictures and comments on this board, but haven't really been brave enough to post any photos myself. My husband and I are just getting started in club calves and picked up this Angus bull for cleanup on heifers. He's a 15 month old 1407 son out of an ET Precision 1680 x EXT cow and is really good on the move.

DSC06351.jpg

DSC06354.jpg

DSC06356.jpg

Very shallow flanked, light quartered, pinched in the heart and extremely green.
I like his top line though.
Not sure he is what I would use if I was wanting club calves. There is just not enough of him unless your cows are the opposite of him.

Welcome Jessica06, glad you decided to join in on the fun. Nice looking bull, sure some things could be improved, but for a cleanup bull i think he looks alright. Are you using him on angus heifers or crossbred?

We aren't really holding our breath for steers out of him, though we do have some really thick heifers that might do the trick. If nothing else we'll have some nice steers that should sell really good at the sale barn. We're hoping for some heifers. We were running out of time and getting a cleanup bull was a very last minute decision with heifers coming back in within a week. His EPDs and pedigree were a plus for us.

Most of them are high % Maine/Angus with a few smokies thrown in. Also a couple with some Simmi or Shorthorn influence. We're just getting our feet wet right now and it's been a lot of fun learning over the past year. We AI'd all of them, but are more concerned about just getting a calf regardless of whether it's out of an AI sire or not. Thanks for the welcome. :) We're both newly graduated Aggies, me with the animal science degree and him with the experience.

Jessica06":kqjlxhif said:
Most of them are high % Maine/Angus with a few smokies thrown in. Also a couple with some Simmi or Shorthorn influence. We're just getting our feet wet right now and it's been a lot of fun learning over the past year. We AI'd all of them, but are more concerned about just getting a calf regardless of whether it's out of an AI sire or not. Thanks for the welcome. :) We're both newly graduated Aggies, me with the animal science degree and him with the experience.
J-O6- WELCOME! You have made a correct decision to 'get your feet wet", and I wish you GOOD FORTUNE with your new BU$INE$$. Don't hesitate to ask questions about anything, and use the internet to do SEARCHS about ANYTHING!

Your bull is a classic GAR (Gardner Breeding) pedigreed bull, and my suggestsion to you is to watch the hindquarters on his calves. If you plan to keep replacement heifers or build a herd with his heifers, plan your future bulls VERY CAREFULLY to prevent "Funnel Butts" from establishing a foothold in your genetics, for it will take a long time to get length and deep hindquarters on his progeny.

Keep in touch with the Forum!

DOC HARRIS

Thats what I liketo see in a bullhes very nice where u located at I may want to purchase some calves from ya Thanks Joey

DOC HARRIS":50wucbt5 said:
Jessica06":50wucbt5 said:
J-O6- WELCOME! You have made a correct decision to 'get your feet wet", and I wish you GOOD FORTUNE with your new BU$INE$$. Don't hesitate to ask questions about anything, and use the internet to do SEARCHS about ANYTHING!

Your bull is a classic GAR (Gardner Breeding) pedigreed bull, and my suggestsion to you is to watch the hindquarters on his calves. If you plan to keep replacement heifers or build a herd with his heifers, plan your future bulls VERY CAREFULLY to prevent "Funnel Butts" from establishing a foothold in your genetics, for it will take a long time to get length and deep hindquarters on his progeny.

DOC HARRIS

Are you saying Gardiner bulls are lacking in the hindquarters?

CopeMan":2fg6dg6f said:

I'm not Doc, but I would have to agree that they are lacking. We have a son of Yield Grade now, was in a pinch and needed a bull "yesterday", all I could find on short notice. What he lacks in quarter, he makes up for in attitude. Not mean, but one high-strung sob. He will be my last Gardiner bull.

cfpinz

The calves out of GAR Predestined seem to buck the trend that Gardiner bulls are lacking in hind quarter. I am waiting until he becomes a little more proven to use him but so far he seems to be doing a good job.

I agree that he could carry more muscle, but we bought him as a heifer safe bull. The guy had other meatier bulls there but they also had a lot more shoulder. Since we won't be around a whole lot while they're calving we wanted a little extra insurance. So far we've been very happy with him...not the greatest bull in the world I agree but he's going to work very well for us I think. And he also has an awesome super calm attitude which is a huge plus. Thanks for all of the comments! And here's a picture for all of you skeptics out there.

DSC06352.jpg

DOC HARRIS":1ezjwz4l said:
YES - That is exactly what I am saying!

DOC HARRIS

ALL we need now is to get some University animal scientist type too get us some sort of butt muscle ultrasound measurement so Angus can add an EPD for it and then Gardiner will be selling trait leaders for the amount of butt EPD....until then, I think the funnell butt with the good ultrasound REA number is the best we can hope for.

From my memory, Angus bulls have always lacked butt muscle.

Back in the 50's and 60's my dad's terminology for that was

"Gimlet A$$es".

Maybe the holstein influence didn't help much in that area. :lol:

DOC HARRIS":2nv15f9o said:
Jessica06":2nv15f9o said:

DOC HARRIS

Where do you get that this is a GAR bull? She said "1407 son out of an ET Precision 1680 x EXT", not GAR. Am I missing something?

Frankie":1j265isf said:
DOC HARRIS":1j265isf said:
Jessica06":1j265isf said:

DOC HARRIS

Where do you get that this is a GAR bull? She said "1407 son out of an ET Precision 1680 x EXT", not GAR. Am I missing something?
Frankie - YES - You are missing something! I did NOT say that this is a GAR bull! I said, "Your bull is a classic G A R (Gardner BREEDING) pedigreed bull. A great number of Gardner cattle have pedigree's which are comprised in a very similar manner: sired by N Bar Emulation EXT or one of his sons, or out of a daughter of N Bar Emulation EXT, or one of his sons, or out of a daughter of GAR Precision 1680, or sired by B/R New Design 036 or one of his sons, specifically Bon View New Design 1407, or one of his sons. Bon View New Design 1407 bred to a daughter of GAR Precision X a daughter of EXT is what Jessica06 is using! Hello!

I have no argument with the selection of sires and dams that Gardner's choose to group together for their breeding program - EXCEPT - it seems that a great majority of the results turn out to be FUNNEL BUTTS! Facts are facts, and it is difficult to refute what is right in front of your face.

"Like Begets Like", and when cattle with concentrated Genetics are mated to other cattle with similar concentrated genetics, the Genes will manifest themselves - GOOD OR NOT SO GOOD! This is why line-breeding is such a complicated Genetic Bingo Game! Frankie, I know how adept and versed you are in Genetic Inheritance and heritable factors, and I also feel that you are well aware of the fact that the Angus Breed is tettering on the brink of destruction of certain traits and characteristics - namely the lack of muscling in SOME of the lines of Angus Purebreds. Any Beef breeder with an eye on the comings and goings of the Angus Breed is cognizant of the fact that 'Lack of Muscle' is the #1 problem in many Angus matings. Angus cattle have MANY extremely desirable, excellent and superior dominant traits and characteristics, too numerious to be itemized here. There is no question in the minds of many knowledgeable cattle experts but what the Angus Breed is the foremost breed in the Beef Cattle Breeding business. - BUT - that does not preclude the fact that they are NOT perfect, and lack of muscle, particularly in the hindquarters, is blatently obvious in many individuals with the genetics of cattle which are bred SIMILARLY to some of the lines that Gardner's use. To be aware of that fact and chose to ignore it is being "Barn Blind!", and does a disservice to the Beef Industry.

I stand by my original admonition to be observant of the progeny of her bull. The fact that her cow herd is comprised of some % Maine/Anjou, and some Simmi and Shorthorn Genes, will help in the precluding of FUNNEL BUTTS in their herd, and I continue to wish both of them good breeding. It seems to me from what Jessica said - they both know what they are doing.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts