Angus bull opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Doc, you're losing it. EXT, New Design, Precision, all those bulls, their sons, grandsons, daughters, are being used by virtually every Angus breeder in the country for a reason. To name Gardiners as being to blame for "funnel butts" is ridiculous. You might as well throw in Summitcrest, Express, and dozens of other breeders. :roll: Have you ever seen GAR Grid Maker?

No, I hadn't noticed Angus "teetering on the brink of destruction...." :roll: I have noticed the price of Angus bulls going up year after year, the demand for Angus beef going up year after year, several other breeds turning their cattle black to compete. I just can't imagine I missed that. I guess I've been having too much fun at Angus sales. :p

Frankie":fdukpbt1 said:
Doc, you're losing it. EXT, New Design, Precision, all those bulls, their sons, grandsons, daughters, are being used by virtually every Angus breeder in the country for a reason. To name Gardiners as being to blame for "funnel butts" is ridiculous. You might as well throw in Summitcrest, Express, and dozens of other breeders. :roll: Have you ever seen GAR Grid Maker?

No, I hadn't noticed Angus "teetering on the brink of destruction...." :roll: I have noticed the price of Angus bulls going up year after year, the demand for Angus beef going up year after year, several other breeds turning their cattle black to compete. I just can't imagine I missed that. I guess I've been having too much fun at Angus sales. :p
-Frankie - Frankie - Frankie - You need to miss a few Angus sales and learn how to READ! I have been an Angus Enthusiast longer than you have been alive! I DID NOT NAME GARDNER AS BEING TO BLAME FOR FUNNEL BUTTS! But - SOME genetics are to blame!! Right?! And I will NOT deny that Summitcrest, Express and dozens of other breeders have contributed to the problem of "FUNNEL BUTTS"! And - yes, my dear, I have seen GAR Grid Maker. SO???

I DID NOT SAY THAT ANGUS WERE TETTERING ON THE BRINK OF DESTRUCTION..." Again, Frankie - learn to read! I said, (if you can read my original statement) "....tettering on the brink of destruction OF CERTAIN TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS -....

Your sarcasm is ironic, and misplaced. I am not going to argue with you. I said what I said, and I stand by my words. Take them as you wish - however wrong you may be interpreting them. You demonstrate what I deem as "Selective listening." You hear what you wish to hear, and see what you wish to see.

DOC HARRIS

Frankie":1sbsu0oy said:

Don't know about "teetering on the brink of destruction" but I think the breed as a whole is slipping in quality. There are more and more bulls out there each year because every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to cash in on the angus breed's superb advertising. Doesn't matter that half of those bulls should have been cut. Can you honestly say the angus bulls of today have better muscle than those 5 or 10 years ago? Or just better numbers?

The vast majority of my cattle are angus-influence, not because I think they are superior (I don't) but because I can make the quickest, easiest money with those type of cattle in my area. And if truth be known I bet there are a lot more folks in my shoes than those who bleed angus. Pull your head out of the sand and look around before it's too late.

cfpinz

I will get back on topic. The bull in the above picture that was being cut apart is being used on VIRGIN heifers so I will cut him some slack and say that as a claving ease bull he would be of acceptable phenotpye for me as I don't like to give my profits away to a vet and I like to get my heifers rebred so they will be in the cowherd as 3 year olds.

Some other topic someone suggested useing Hoff First Edition on virgin heifers. I am not saying it can't be done but for a commercial cattleman to try it is less than prudent.

DOC HARRIS":10pwdefa said:
-Frankie - Frankie - Frankie - You need to miss a few Angus sales and learn how to READ! I have been an Angus Enthusiast longer than you have been alive! I DID NOT NAME GARDNER AS BEING TO BLAME FOR FUNNEL BUTTS! But - SOME genetics are to blame!! Right?! And I will NOT deny that Summitcrest, Express and dozens of other breeders have contributed to the problem of "FUNNEL BUTTS"! And - yes, my dear, I have seen GAR Grid Maker. SO???

I DID NOT SAY THAT ANGUS WERE TETTERING ON THE BRINK OF DESTRUCTION..." Again, Frankie - learn to read! I said, (if you can read my original statement) "....tettering on the brink of destruction OF CERTAIN TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS -....

Your sarcasm is ironic, and misplaced. I am not going to argue with you. I said what I said, and I stand by my words. Take them as you wish - however wrong you may be interpreting them. You demonstrate what I deem as "Selective listening." You hear what you wish to hear, and see what you wish to see.

DOC HARRIS

DOC, DOC, DOC. I attend more than Angus sales. I got to Hereford and Limousin sales, too. Those are the only two breeds around here that have regular sales, though I do see a few Salers and Charolais occasionally sell in the OBI sale. I'd never raise a purebred other than Angus, but I'm not blind to their faults. But I'm also not blind to other breed's faults. People on this board bash Angus as being responsible for the lowering of quality grade, for the supposed smaller carcasses, for virtually every thing that's a problem in the beef industry. Very few of them acknowledge that the Angus influence has helped increase the demand for beef. I remember quite well when 500 lb calves hit $1. Do you? Like 'em or not, I believe that Angus had a lot to do with the good years we've been living in. How about a discussion of some of the Continental breeds who have given up some of their growth to try to become calving ease breeds? No discussion there?

I seriously doubt you've been an "Angus enuthsiast" longer than I've been alive. :roll:

You NAMED Gardiner. Gardiners are one of the producers who are most closely tied to the commercial cattle business! Their work in establishing US Premium Beef has put a lot of money in producer's pockets. It's also helped identify cattle that will gain, grow and grade by tracking them through the feedlot and into the supermarket.

Today we don't have to judge a bull by his looks. We have EPDs and ultrasound that show us what's under the skin. There are many Angus bulls that will produce excellent feeder cattle and probably wouldn't meet your criteria for a good Angus bull.

That is a Very nice bull hes young and has room to grow good luck with him some people dog the breed because they cant afford them.....

Jessica06":2wjak53d said:
I agree that he could carry more muscle, but we bought him as a heifer safe bull. The guy had other meatier bulls there but they also had a lot more shoulder. Since we won't be around a whole lot while they're calving we wanted a little extra insurance. So far we've been very happy with him...not the greatest bull in the world I agree but he's going to work very well for us I think. And he also has an awesome super calm attitude which is a huge plus. Thanks for all of the comments! And here's a picture for all of you skeptics out there.

DSC06352.jpg

Jessica06":1u9xqfao said:
And he also has an awesome super calm attitude which is a huge plus.
DSC06352.jpg

Don't bet your money on it, until the calves are about a yr old and the hfrs about a yr. later when the hfrs have their calves.

Today we don't have to judge a bull by his looks. We have EPDs and ultrasound that show us what's under the skin. There are many Angus bulls that will produce excellent feeder cattle and probably wouldn't meet your criteria for a good Angus bull.

That's just the problem.

Maybe Angus cattle are going to segregate into a multi function/line of cattle.

The majority of the Angus cattle today aren't what Angus are supposed to be. It's no more than number chasing and the fact that yes 1407, 1680 and EXT has been used by more than GAR. They are known for producing this pedigree and with the late success of putting out a number of bulls that are of this combination. GAR is also known for this because how many of Express bulls do you know that there is semen available on or from other people of this combination. OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD!

With all of this in mind today there are to many multipliers and not enough breeders.

I know, everyone will look around and say well I am a breeder but I think that "Joe" isn't a breeder, because.

Face it, this is the truth!
In this world it's no different between leaders and followers.

I believe breeders have that knack of understanding cattle, they maybe don't even know what they are doing but it happens. A breeder understands cattle, makes neccesary adjustments to fit his vision. Raising cattle is not very difficult, but keeping cattle around that aren't worthy doesn't do anyone any justice and certainly not the purebred world.

blacksnake":3kuyizbk said:
Maybe DOC can list some top Angus bulls that he considers not "Funnel Butts"
blacksnake - There are thousands of Angus bulls in the country that are not Funnel Butts! "Lack of Muscling" is the primary genetic deficiency which manifests itself as weak hindquarters, or "Funnel Butts" if you will. The genetic strains of Angus cattle which, combined, seem to produce cattle with lack of muscle, do so because of EPD's which are not compatible with Dominate Carcass traits and Maternal traits in 100% of the individuals produced by those matings. NOTHING is 100% desirable, as anyone who knows the science of genetics is aware. Bulls (and cows!) with muscling deficiencies will produce some outstanding calves occasionally, perhaps 25% of ALL production efforts. Conversely, the opposite is true concerning cattle with desirable muscling and growth EPD's. The mark of a successful beef operation is the man who can select seedstock for optimal traits, and produce calves with a high percentage of those desirable traits.

Here are a few of the bulls which I consider NOT Funnel Butts. There are hundreds more of which I am not familiar.

Traveler 004
Boyd New Day
Sitz Alliance 6595
DHD Traveler 6807
Traveler 6807 T512
Hoff First Edition
Boyd On Target 1083
Vermillion Payweight J847
Connealy Dateline

You can go to any Stud catalog and look through the Angus section and if you have an eye for desirable phenotype, you can see for yourself. Converesly, you can find bulls in those catalogs which are lacking muscle, and show weak hindquarters. Put their pictures side by side and compare! Then study their pedigrees and see what cattle are probably causing the problems!

Be my guest. It is a great learning opportunity. Teach your kids something while your are at it!

DOC HARRIS

Wow Doc Harris...It is so refreshing to me to hear someone who agrees exactly with me on the angus breed of late. The angus breed has so much going for it.....and so many people and big money trying to mess it up. They HAVE TO get past calving ease and marbling as the traits to chase. Those are both traits that the breed does very well by itself. They really don't need much help with those traits. Pencil gutted, narrow shouldered, funnel butted, flat muscled bulls are very, very available. Few people are putting emphasis on the traits that need improved....like muscling. I like that you mentioned a Hoff bull. I don't know much about different bloodlines, but the bulls I've got have Hoff genetics in them. Doug was not near as popular as his bulls were excellent....because he bred GOOD bulls and cows. He did not follow fads or trends. Many of the top breeds are promoted by fad followers and big players. They twist the numbers around to make us common folk think they are the best thing since the wheel and then by the time we realize they're not, they've got the next "great" bull they're promoting. I heard from a reliable source that 2006 saw great leaps in many other breed registrations and not nearly as many in the Angus breed in years past. Hopefully, a few good breeders can curtail this and provide the country with some GOOD Angus bulls!

SEC":b2c8bp1t said:

That's just the problem.

What's the problem? That we now know what's under the skin and the "eye" of the breeder isn't the "word of God" anymore?

Maybe Angus cattle are going to segregate into a multi function/line of cattle.

They already have. IMO, Continental cattle just aren't necessary any more. I think many breeders of Continental cattle feel the same way. Look at how they've moderated the size of their breeds and turned them black.

The majority of the Angus cattle today aren't what Angus are supposed to be. It's no more than number chasing and the fact that yes 1407, 1680 and EXT has been used by more than GAR. They are known for producing this pedigree and with the late success of putting out a number of bulls that are of this combination. GAR is also known for this because how many of Express bulls do you know that there is semen available on or from other people of this combination. OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD!

They aren't what YOU think they're supposed to be. I'm tickled to death at the variety of Angus genetics available to me. An Angus cow with a milk EPD of 30 doesn't work well here. But she may do fine in east Texas or VA. I don't have a clue how many breeders are selling semen on their bulls. I have been disappointed in the ABS catalog the last few years. They are promoting many young, unproven bulls and pushing calving ease and marbling. But there are other sources for semen.

With all of this in mind today there are to many multipliers and not enough breeders.

I know, everyone will look around and say well I am a breeder but I think that "Joe" isn't a breeder, because.

Face it, this is the truth!
In this world it's no different between leaders and followers.

Then you'll be reassured to read this: In your little world, I fall into the "multiplier" section. I know a lot of other Angus breeders who say the same thing. I'm not in business to produce the next great Angus bull. I'm not going to Denver. I'm in business to produce good bulls that will work for commercial cattlemen. I can do that by using genetics created by people you probably consider "breeders." I make some money, the "breeders" make some money, the commercial cattleman has good Angus bulls available to them at reasonable prices, and consumers get a tender marbled piece of beef. I believe that's one of the reasons for Angus popularity. You can buy sons of some of the best bulls in the breed at very reasonable prices. I don't think that happens in other breeds, at least not the quantity.

I believe breeders have that knack of understanding cattle, they maybe don't even know what they are doing but it happens. A breeder understands cattle, makes neccesary adjustments to fit his vision. Raising cattle is not very difficult, but keeping cattle around that aren't worthy doesn't do anyone any justice and certainly not the purebred world.

:roll: Opinions are like a certain part of the human body. Everybody's got one.

movin' on":2w1z2hxx said:
I heard from a reliable source that 2006 saw great leaps in many other breed registrations and not nearly as many in the Angus breed in years past.

:roll: Just for the record:

Angus registrations rose by more than 7% last year. Well over 200,000 Angus cattle were transferred to new owners. Nearly 49% of the cattle transferred were products of AI and 10% were embryo transfers.

And herd improvement continues to be the goal of members. Almost 900,000 birth, weaning and yearling weights were added to the EPD database.

Additionally more than 150,000 ultasound measurements were submitted, for an 18.5% increase in body composition data.

Regular membership was up by more than 4%.

There's plenty of room for other breeds to grow, but don't fool yourself by thinking that Angus lost anything the past year. This year? Who knows?

What's the problem? That we now know what's under the skin and the "eye" of the breeder isn't the "word of God" anymore?

Are you kidding? If you are so sure that we know what's under the hide of these cattle why did the AAA go from using one ultrasound lab to now 4? To many inconsistencies, human error has been questioned all along, with the labs expanding it's only proven what's thought to be correct.

Studies showed from Summitcrest I believe that scan data interpreted from the different labs and the kill data varied greatly.
The CUP lab in IOWA was found to be the weak link and their interpretation was proven inconsistent compared to the kill data, while the data from the other labs was in line with the actual kill data.

They already have. IMO, Continental cattle just aren't necessary any more. I think many breeders of Continental cattle feel the same way. Look at how they've moderated the size of their breeds and turned them black.

If this is the case how come at Louisville last year in front of 800 Angus fans and breeder did the Guest speaker from a packing house tell the crowd that it no longer was looking for straight Angus cattle but instead wanted to have 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Continental? He further stated that there simply isn't enough yield in the average Angus animal by itself we need to have the continental influence to enhance the yield.
That doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out as how can lots of these puds actually have enough meat on them to be profitable.

If you think we are in the drivers seat, you better check your map pal as there are a host of breeds and breeders looking to knock us of the pile.

They aren't what YOU think they're supposed to be. I'm tickled to death at the variety of Angus genetics available to me. An Angus cow with a milk EPD of 30 doesn't work well here. But she may do fine in east Texas or VA. I don't have a clue how many breeders are selling semen on their bulls. I have been disappointed in the ABS catalog the last few years. They are promoting many young, unproven bulls and pushing calving ease and marbling. But there are other sources for semen.

While you are correct that I don't agree with a host of the Angus genetics available today. But guess what...........I have been out there to seem them...myself! I don't need a breed magazine getting me fired up about what I should be breeding to. In fact, more times than not the AJ gives me a reference point on what I shouldn't be breeding with.

What variety of Angus genetics are you talking about? In every stud book they are full of the same combinations of genetics, just flipped around. This has nothing to do with breeders selling semen on their bulls privately. It has nothing to do with a +30 milk EPD, use cattle that will fit your area, that isn't a secret. I do agree with you that the quest for calving ease and marbling has gotten a little silly. That's why there are very few "power" bulls around in the breed. Or at least readily available.!

Then you'll be reassured to read this: In your little world, I fall into the "multiplier" section. I know a lot of other Angus breeders who say the same thing. I'm not in business to produce the next great Angus bull. I'm not going to Denver. I'm in business to produce good bulls that will work for commercial cattlemen. I can do that by using genetics created by people you probably consider "breeders." I make some money, the "breeders" make some money, the commercial cattleman has good Angus bulls available to them at reasonable prices, and consumers get a tender marbled piece of beef. I believe that's one of the reasons for Angus popularity. You can buy sons of some of the best bulls in the breed at very reasonable prices. I don't think that happens in other breeds, at least not the quantity.

I am not sure what you mean by my little world, but whatever.

I am not saying breeders are out to raise the great ones or win Denver. In fact many "breeders" never make it to Denver with cattle and don't have to sell bulls at a high value. IMHO I want to offer genetics that have my influence on them that are as good as any. Doesn't mean I offer them in volume now. But to simply pick up a catalogue and breed to whatever is popular seems like an injustice to the term purebred breeder.

I consider it a privelige to raise PB Angus cattle and want to do the best I can. The best that I can offer has little to do with the hottest bull alive. Just think about some of the landmark bulls of the last years and who produced them. It wasn't Mountain Meadows, they were hardly in it long enough to register cattle with their prefix. The cattle that I consider to be very influential over the last number of years have stayed the course and have actually become more popular over time. Genetics shouldn't be in or out of style, I am certain you like the same cows you did 15 or 20 years ago. I know I do.

This is exactly that, my opinion. None of my or your comments have to be deemed right by anyone as it is our belief.

This isn't a pissing contest, we are to old for that and why even bother.

I have always wondered what's the point of raising genetics that don't have any personal influence. Not my perogative to worry about and I may be wrong for that. I just think if people got off the tracks some days they might be able to bring their level of reward to a higher level. Maybe I am wrong.