Angus bull epd

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I guess it's a little to late but I bought a reg angus bull and was wondering what everyone thought of his epds his reg number is AAA 17510456 I will try and post a pic of him also. Any input on the good or bad would be appreciated.

Good looking young Bull. His EPD's are running a little better than breed average for ww (+12) & yw (+10) on spring '14 numbers. Bet he'll do good. Luck with him.
See you guys are enjoying the moisture also.

fitz

Ya it's been a mud hole all winter. It's finally dried up around here we have been getting some 60 deg days. With the + 12 on weaning weight what does that number really mean? The higher the number the heavier weaning weight ?

I looked at your Bull's epd #'s and then compared them to the Angus breed average for this spring.
I think the breed avg. #'s listed ww +47. Breed avg. yw +84. Your Bull exceded breed avg. in both categories. Which certainly a good thing. Then you also have to take into consideration the accuracy #'s.

Hard to tell by pictures but he looks like a pretty good bull... I'm not a G A R Predestined fan- but some swear by him...You are aware that your bull is DDP- potentially a carrier of the genetic defect DD (Developmental Duplication) ? The bulls sire and Predestined are both DDC (carriers)... The seller of the bull should have made you aware of that...

Not a big problem if you have no cows that are DDC or are not planning on keeping or selling any progeny as breeding stock...

Iam a newbie and this maybe a dump question but what is DDC AND DDP? I have 5 reg angus cows so I will have to look and see if they are the rest of my cows are angus cross. At this time I don't plan on keeping any heifers as replacements will just sell and buy more breed cows or cows and calves.
Thanks

What is Developmental Duplication (DD)?
DD is an abnormality that has been long-observed in Angus cattle,
but was previously thought to be caused by conjoined twins or
other anomalies during fetal development. This abnormality was
recently found to be a simply inherited recessive genetic condition
passed through certain lines of Angus cattle. Animals affected with
this condition can sometimes be born with an extra limb or part of
an extra limb (a condition referred to as polymelia).
This is of AAA website you can go there and find out more. DDC means a carrier and DDP like on your papers is a potential carrier you can test him to clean him or know he is a carrier. Im like Oldtimer you should have been made aware of the potential.

I have one cow W C R Celtic Beauty 013X 16769947 that showed up on the potential list and as DDP on her papers ... I wasn't that worried as the last carrier in her pedigree was 10 generations back-- but since I had already sold her son as a bull- I notified the buyer and made an offer to swap, but he was happy with what he had.. I also had a heifer I had kept for a replacement... I finally sent in a blood test on her and just got back the results-- she is DDF -free of the defect-- which means all her offspring are free too...

Which I'm glad because this is her and her new 72 lb heifer calf she had this morning:

I am a newbie and this maybe a dump question but what is DDC AND DDP? I have 5 reg Angus cows so I will have to look and see if they are the rest of my cows are Angus cross. At this time I don't plan on keeping any heifers as replacements will just sell and buy more breed cows or cows and calves.

You need to be sure and read the policy at the Angus Association on the DDP before you breed your registered cows to the bull.

http://www.angus.org/Pub/DD/DDPolicy08142013.pdf

Take the numbers from the dam and the sire from their registration papers, and average the two and that will give you an idea of what his might be. It is not a perfect science, but it will be close enough. It leaves a lot of information out on his papers.