Angus bull-Charlais cows

Help Support CattleToday:

berkbig2000":1c3wj1yc said:
I have heard that if I use an Angus bull on Char cows I will get rattail calves,anybody?

Sometimes, we have had 4 with rat tails, and but most came out the same color all over.

Go look at my website for the info. on what we use.

So cowgirl you have mostly Angus bulls and char cows?What do you mean sometimes you have 4 and what color all over?I'm not sure what rattail means is it just color or do they also have no hair on their tail?

berkbig2000":208yu63d said:
So cowgirl you have mostly Angus bulls and char cows?What do you mean sometimes you have 4 and what color all over?I'm not sure what rattail means is it just color or do they also have no hair on their tail?

From the link:

"The rat-tail syndrome occasionally occurs when certain Continental breeds of cattle are crossed with cattle that have a black hair coat. The condition is characterized by short, curly, malformed, dilute-colored, sometimes sparse hair and a lack of a normal tail switch. Two loci, the extension locus and another unknown locus, are involved in the inheritance of the rat-tail syndrome. For the rat-tail phenotype to be expressed, the animal must have at least one dominant black allele and be heterozygous at the rat-tail locus. This study utilizes 28 rat-tails, 27 black half-sibs, dams, and 3 Simmental-cross sires to localize the unknown locus that causes the rat-tail syndrome....."

http://www.intl-pag.org/11/abstracts/P5j_P581_XI.html

Latest posts