Angus Breeders-Question about marketing CCS

Help Support CattleToday:

RafterD

Reaction score
I noticed in a sale book I got from Camp Cooley the other day that they are guaranteeing all cattle sold in their November sale to be CCS free or your money back. I had pretty much decided that was how I was going to market my Angus cattle too which was not going out on a limb much because I have very little 1680 blood in the herd. I was wondering what most breeders are going to do about marketing cattle that might be AMC? Are you going to test before you sell, test only ones that you might suspect or sell with or without a guarantee? Interested in differing opinions here.

Test! The loss of reputation is not worth it, I don't have much of one anyway.

Sizmic

RafterD":3skb93u9 said:
I noticed in a sale book I got from Camp Cooley the other day that they are guaranteeing all cattle sold in their November sale to be CCS free or your money back. I had pretty much decided that was how I was going to market my Angus cattle too which was not going out on a limb much because I have very little 1680 blood in the herd. I was wondering what most breeders are going to do about marketing cattle that might be AMC? Are you going to test before you sell, test only ones that you might suspect or sell with or without a guarantee? Interested in differing opinions here.

We want to test every cow, but we'll wait and see about the cost. Right now I don't think we have any potential carrier cows. But if the cost is reasonable, we'll test them anyway. Then by using only bulls that have been tested free, we should be ok in the future.

sizmic":2unv8f61 said:
Test! The loss of reputation is not worth it, I don't have much of one anyway.

Sizmic
When I buy seedstock in the future, it is doubtful that I will pay a lot without a test for sure. I only have one cow that could possibly be a carrier and even though I paid a fair amount for her, she is a dud and is headed for the commercial or recip herd anyway. However, before I put a lot of money out on a new cow, I would definately want to her to be tested. However, if I could perform the test (and pay the cost) myself, I wouldn't mind so much as long as if she came back positive, the breeder would refund my money. If you did this, in my mind it would increase my view of your reputation, not diminish it.

I spoke to a dlaughlin (that was his email) at the angus assoc. and he told me that the "big breeders" who were having sales that included 1680 calves were offering them with a guarantee, if they tested positive you could get your money back.
He told me that one of the breeders he spoke to said, " I'm not sure I can afford to do that" and this gentleman from the angus association told him that he would have to. This is apparently going to become standard operating procedure for 1680 cattle.
Other DNA tests cost about $75 I am told, don't know for certain.

Some DNA tests with MMI via the AAA cost as little as $20 for a parentage verification test unless its beed raised within the last year. I will hope that this test will not be out of sight based on the number of animals I think people will be testing.

He told me that one of the breeders he spoke to said, " I'm not sure I can afford to do that" and this gentleman from the angus association told him that he would have to.
I would have to say if you want to remain a reputable breeder "Im not sure you can afford not to test"

They have a test in place. When it opens to the public if you want to stay in business you will have no other option but to test. No matter if the test is $20 or $120 you will basically be forced to test. You may not be forced to test every animal but you will have to test the ones with carriers in their pedigree or either carry them to the stockyard. Thats the only way this problem can be controlled or cleaned up and you can bet the AAA and all its members want it cleaned up. If not they would have never brought it out in the open. We might as well get ready for it. Just like Christmas, its on the way soon !

Circle H Ranch
www.chrlimousin.com

I'll test but I'm still selling stuff right now before a test comes out with the guarantee.

I'm also BUYING 1680 stuff right now if the price is right - willing to roll the dice for some pretty good genetics and cull what doesn't work out. Werner sold a doner cow they paid $25k for from sydgen for $3500 at their sale WITH a guarantee!

I'm also BUYING 1680 stuff right now if the price is right - willing to roll the dice for some pretty good genetics and cull what doesn't work out. Werner sold a doner cow they paid $25k for from sydgen for $3500 at their sale WITH a guarantee!
Now that sounds like a deal to me. Unless they have flushed her out and the guarantee was just that she was AM Free.

Circle H Ranch
www.chrlimousin.com

Betty":2pqww32e said:
I spoke to a dlaughlin (that was his email) at the angus assoc. and he told me that the "big breeders" who were having sales that included 1680 calves were offering them with a guarantee, if they tested positive you could get your money back.
He told me that one of the breeders he spoke to said, " I'm not sure I can afford to do that" and this gentleman from the angus association told him that he would have to. This is apparently going to become standard operating procedure for 1680 cattle.

Well I have heard the $75 fee ( if this is the other fee..what is the orig fee?0. But my question is have "big breeders" tested all they want to? It looks like they have to me and that they will not test everything. If u pull the petigrees of the positives, imo you will see it is obivous that alot of the carriers are the cows. Ive not seen a single test on a cow. however it seems clear that 2536 is a carrier. It appears that is not important where it came from but who (meaning animals) is still in gene pool. The truth being that the occurance was rare and will likely disappear after this testing.

I do hope that the big "cattle operations" share the info they have. I expect we will, in a short order of time, have an answer from angus.org about testing. donna

I have noticed that those who are "succesfully" selling possible CCS carries are placing a guarantee on them. Those who are not are paying a real hefty price. The test will become mandatory (upon registration) for any suspect pedigrees. At least thats the way I understand it.

Latest posts