Angus and AI

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Can anyone help with an AI problem I am having? I am originally from Iowa and am in Italy for work. I have always had an interest in raising Angus and luckily found a cow and heifer here in Italy to raise. This breed is not popular here, so the local vets have little knowledge on their breeding attitudes. I have artificially inseminated the 4 year old cow four times and have never had luck. She is healthy and shows heat every twenty one days. The vet has just tried the progesterone ear implant on day 21 of her cycle and she went in heat after 7 days. He did not expect that to happen until after he removed the ear implant on day 9 but she was in heat and ready. She bled almost four days later. They say here that it does not indicate unsuccessfullness. We never removed her ear implant since the vet said that some extra progesterone would not hurt. My question is will the ear implant increase or decrease the chances of her becoming pregnant? If the insemination fails, can we place another implant and when is the best time?

Her daughter just turned one year, she has not yet showed heat, can we induce her at this age or should I wait a little longer. One last thing is it best to keep these animals in stalls now or let them roam and then close them in for insemination?

Thank You for your time. C. Vitale

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The cow sounds cystic. A regular 21 day heat with no variation is classic. Treat her with cystorelin, or follitropin and breed her on the next heat, also giving her cystorelin when she has her heat. These drugs are safe in case she did concieve, but will be needed if she is cystic.

I'd wait on the heifer, give her a month or two, and yes they should have access to exercise.

If you have CIDRs there, I'd be inclined to do a timed breeding on the heifer to make it easier to determin a heat.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Frms Alberta Canada

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hello,

I tottaly agree witht he other responce, has anyone checked your semen to make sure it is not the cow's fault?

I would look at it under a scope to check motility (quality of movement) and morphology (live cells). That might be the problem, not the cow.

Good Luck

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answers, yes I have checked the semen and it is of good vitality. I have no clue of what is going on! Do you think that leaving the progesterone ear implant and her having gone in heat before its removal will hinder this process. Progesterone inhibits heat but then again at inplant she was given a shot of estrogen?? If she does go in heat again after 21 days of her last "provoked" heat should I inseminate her? If she is cystic, wwhat will happen now that she still has her inplant? Is it true that the best time to AI is when she has maximum mucus secretion or is it too late?

Thanks

> Hello,

> I tottaly agree witht he other
> responce, has anyone checked your
> semen to make sure it is not the
> cow's fault?

> I would look at it under a scope
> to check motility (quality of
> movement) and morphology (live
> cells). That might be the problem,
> not the cow.

> Good Luck

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Have no idea about the implants, normally GNRh followed by PGF2 will clear up cyctic ovaries, I would breed her every 21 days until she took, or I was out of semen, or just fed up with the situation. Mucus, although a good indicator is not fool proof. If mucus is present I like it to hang from her vulva to the ground without breaking, but not thick and slightly white.

dunmovin farms

> Thanks for your answers, yes I
> have checked the semen and it is
> of good vitality. I have no clue
> of what is going on! Do you think
> that leaving the progesterone ear
> implant and her having gone in
> heat before its removal will
> hinder this process. Progesterone
> inhibits heat but then again at
> inplant she was given a shot of
> estrogen?? If she does go in heat
> again after 21 days of her last
> "provoked" heat should I
> inseminate her? If she is cystic,
> wwhat will happen now that she
> still has her inplant? Is it true
> that the best time to AI is when
> she has maximum mucus secretion or
> is it too late?

> Thanks
 
Top