AI Singularity

Help Support CattleToday:

Artificial intelligence.
Some predictions say that in 7 years computers will be smarter than all humans which most computers probably already are smarter than most humans.
But there are many smart people that are really scared of computers taking over just like they did in the movies.
It seems like if Bill Gates and Elon musk are afraid of it we probably should be too. Not that I really care for either one of those guys but they probably know way more about it than a common man like me.

Artificial intelligence.
Some predictions say that in 7 years computers will be smarter than all humans which most computers probably already are smarter than most humans.
But there are many smart people that are really scared of computers taking over just like they did in the movies.
It seems like if Bill Gates and Elon musk are afraid of it we probably should be too. Not that I really care for either one of those guys but they probably know way more about it than a common man like me.
I've been interested in the subject for quite a while. It amazes me how many computer geeks seem to think there is nothing to worry about and will defend the ongoing efforts to create a super intelligence to the death.

I always think of that line in Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum says...

Did you know that the scientists employed by the Manhattan Project didn't know what would happen when the first atomic bomb was triggered? There was a theory that the reaction could burn off the entire atmosphere of the planet... and yet they pushed the button anyway.

Did you know that the scientists employed by the Manhattan Project didn't know what would happen when the first atomic bomb was triggered? There was a theory that the reaction could burn off the entire atmosphere of the planet... and yet they pushed the button anyway.
Well, not exactly. As good as it was, the movie blows that part way out of proportion. There were some discussions about it after project physicist Author Compton mentioned the possibility early on, but the people like Hans Bethe who was top of the chain in theoretical physics at Los Alamos didn't believe it from the gitgo but did the calculations anyway showing that the energy lost in the explosion was far more than would be gained, therefore preventing enough energy to sustain any kind of atmospheric chain reaction. Quantum mechanics physicists never rule out any possibility, no matter how tiny that possibility may be, preferring to use terms like 'near zero'. . But what may be 'near zero' to a physicist would be absolute zero to an engineer. Oppenheim and his fellow scientists weren't really afraid it would burn up the atmosphere. They were tho, concerned whether the thing would even work at all.

I can not obviously predict the good or bad but change always makes me nervous. I have been listening to and reading up on how it will effect the job market with a son who is graduating in a month.

There seems to be a consensus that there is going to be a big shift in job availability for certain sectors. I'm a believer in the college experience and some of the things that go with it but I would definitely be thinking about how that investment will pay out, especially with AI knocking at the door, and especially if you are going in to debt to do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts