advice on AI school

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have been checking into taking an AI course. There is one in a couple weeks, almost 3 hours away, lasts for 5 days, costs $500, but you get a certificate for $250 of free semen. Another one at the end of November, just for the afternoon, at a dairy about 20 minutes from me, and costs nothing. One in January 1 1/2 hours away, 3 days and costs $350.
Will I get enough out of the afternoon freebie or do I need a 5 day/$500 course to know what I am doing? I just want to be able to do a few of my heifers that I kept back this year.

The half day deal would work as a refresher, but not as a first ti,e class. The 3 day one would be ok if it's 3 full days. The main advantage of the 5 day course would be you get to be inside of a lot more cows. When you consider that all it is is 2 parallel tubes with a knobby thing in one of them it's hard to believe the variations you can run into.

dun

I agree with dun the more I am in the less it seems I know. lol

I am at about 35 percent right now and just pissed.
I took the three day class. and will go back for a refresher.
About the time you are starting to feel good it all falls apart.
Heifers in my hubble oppinion are a tuff way to start.
But you learn more that way.
Good luck in whatever you do, its interesting exciting and frustrating...

MD

Dun, I don't know diddly about AI. Being drought stricken down to 10 head, AI became interesting. I went all over the net looking and still didn't learn diddly. Finally I reached the conclusion that hands on was going to be the only way I could learn. If I go AI, I think I will hire it done and pay close attention.

I do appreciate all the info ya'll have put in this forum on the subject. Thank you.

backhoeboogie":1z5e8aog said:
Finally I reached the conclusion that hands on was going to be the only way I could learn. If I go AI, I think I will hire it done and pay close attention.

Paying close attention isn;t going to feed the bulldog. You can learn semen handling and maybe some cowside manner, but the actual breeding is a physical manipulative skill. You also have to be able tovisualize what your hand is feeling. That only comes with being in there and feeling things.

dun

dun":1dpd5l61 said:
backhoeboogie":1dpd5l61 said:
Finally I reached the conclusion that hands on was going to be the only way I could learn. If I go AI, I think I will hire it done and pay close attention.

Paying close attention isn;t going to feed the bulldog. You can learn semen handling and maybe some cowside manner, but the actual breeding is a physical manipulative skill. You also have to be able tovisualize what your hand is feeling. That only comes with being in there and feeling things.

dun

Yep it takes time.
The crappy thing is every cow or heifer is different.
So about the time you feel good about yourself the rules change.
It does get easier with practice.

MD

Latest posts