Angus, a superior product or superior marketing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think Angu has had outside genetics infused into the gene pool?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't do the poll. Neither answer is correct. Angus out-marketed other breeds. Pure and simple. It's more than smoke and mirrors. De=horning used to cost me one a year out of 70. No horns=no loss. It isn't that it's Angus said:
On the horns issue, A few years ago, well maybe 12, we were running strictly commercial cattle and I was looking an ANgus bull to get rid of the shorthorn roan color. I was looking at ANgus cattle from a breeder in AL. He had bought his seedstock from somewhere out in the midwest, with hot pedigrees. I noticed that he had like 2 yearling bulls with scurs. Now I am no genius but that tells me there is a rat in the woodpile somewhere, and that all Angus must not be homozygous for the polled gene.
Therefore, even though most of the time a Angus bull will dehorn calves the nice and easy genetic way, that may not always be true.

You be the Judge. Purebred Angus with scurs??? :?

backhoeboogie":17f0ekdo said:
The angus you see today are nothing like the pure angus you saw thirty to forty years ago.

There getting a lot better looking.
I can hardly tell em apart from brangus anymore.
Just don,t seem like their as tender as they used to be.
Probably that old nasty brahman they been breeden with back in the woods when nobody's watchen.

Would all of you get real. I have been listening to crap like this since I was a little kid. And thats about every breed.
And so what? As long as it was an improvement.

As far as it being better, thats a crock. If you can develope a taste for wine, Rotten grapes, then you can learn to like anything. If you hear it enough you will beleive it.

MikeC":2k4aqkpz said:
I agree that these#s were probably fudged, but i disagree that low BW = low YW

There is a high negative correlation between BW and YW.

Yes there is, generally. But there are still outliers that bridge that gap. It's like any antagonistic traits. There will alwasy be some that don't have the antagonistic trait problems.

dun

phillse":7xefiykb said:
On the horns issue, A few years ago, well maybe 12, we were running strictly commercial cattle and I was looking an ANgus bull to get rid of the shorthorn roan color. I was looking at ANgus cattle from a breeder in AL. He had bought his seedstock from somewhere out in the midwest, with hot pedigrees. I noticed that he had like 2 yearling bulls with scurs. Now I am no genius but that tells me there is a rat in the woodpile somewhere, and that all Angus must not be homozygous for the polled gene.

Might want to do a little research on polled and scurs. Different genes, genetics 101. You can search here and find more information on scurs then you want to read.

dun

novatech":7g2nzf13 said:
backhoeboogie":7g2nzf13 said:
The angus you see today are nothing like the pure angus you saw thirty to forty years ago.

Would all of you get real. I have been listening to crap like this since I was a little kid. And thats about every breed.
And so what? As long as it was an improvement.

As far as it being better, thats a crock. If you can develope a taste for wine, Rotten grapes, then you can learn to like anything. If you hear it enough you will beleive it.
Thank you.

CAB is a crock. A friend of ours has had holsteins grade CAB.

dun Might want to do a little research on polled and scurs. Different genes said:
I will do that dun, Like I said I don't attempt to claim I know it all. What is that link for genetics 101. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it but most of the time scurs seem to be the result of horned x polled matings. I amy be wrong about the technical aspect of the genetics, just have noticed the corellation.

Thanks for putting me strait, but I want to do the research. How can I get better if I don't learn. Now how about that link. where is it?

These threads remind me of my dog is bigger than your dog. Who cares whose dog is the biggest and long as the pay check is in the bank. ;-)

Okay I've been trying to keep my cool but enough is enough. There is ONE INDISPUTABLE TRUTH the AAA has done a great job of marketing their product and the rest of the beef industry is crying sour grapes because they didn't think of it or do with their breeds. I am not bashing of breeds or breeders here but if you want to fix something that you think is wrong don't do it here do it in the market place. Obviously Angus and Angus influenced cattle (which is most all beeds) are benefiting from the is marketing plan.So what this all boils down to is if you don't like Angus don't use BLACK LIMI's, BLACK SIMI's, BLACK GELVI's, BLACK SHORTHORN, or any of the other breeds that saw fit to breed-up with Angus genetics.

On another line the one thing I've noticed more and more is that there is alot of posters bashing Angus but not very many if any Angus breeders bashing the other breeds. WHY IS THIS?

On another line the one thing I've noticed more and more is that there is alot of posters bashing Angus but not very many if any Angus breeders bashing the other breeds. WHY IS THIS?

What's to bash? :lol: :lol:

OK Mike I opened myself up for that. :oops: :oops: But can you give me a serious answer?

Angus Guy":2vjgrrl0 said:

Think positive, the Angus guys could just be out on the road delivering bulls they have recently sold and don't have the time too be on the internet attacking Hereford, Limousin, Simmental, and Scotch Highlands. Angus outmarketed, out researched, out scienced, and outworked Hereford and all the other breeds. The Angus Association could stop spending money on advertising and marketing altogether and with what the grocery stores and restaurants are spending on pushing Angus they would still have more press than all the other breeds probably do combined.

guest25":18dmfoac said:
If you call a premium of under 20 dollars ahead on 15.6 percent of 110 million head over 28 years something to crow about it don't take much to influence you or make you happy.

With the greatest of respect g25

If your going to throw numbers out , use them all and get them right.

Since 1978, packers have paid producers an estimated $200 million in direct grid premiums related to CAB acceptance, 95% of it in the last 5 years. Packers also have been the only source of funding for the CAB Program, paying only pennies per pound to use the CAB® brand on cattle meeting our eight specifications.

By reinvesting dollars in the program, we have been able to leverage $5/head in fees from licensed packers into more than $40/head premium that those CAB-licensed packers pay to the producers of Angus cattle accepted for the brand.

More than 13,000 licensees worldwide have sold at least 500 million pounds of CAB product annually for seven years in a row. The brand's acceptance rate of 15.6 percent on more than 110 million Angus-influenced cattle identified for the program since 1978 demonstrates our commitment to quality.

I am not her to bash any breed if they work for you and make that extra dollar that is all that matters. As far as Angus yes they have the biggest marketing machine. The only thing i would like to see is that if an animal throws scurs or horns in their progeny that they would have their registration papers revoked, if it was proven with DNA testing that they had progeny with scurs or horns. As far as claims of tenderness genes that is good, but if you put a steak on the grill for 3 hours under high heat nothing will be tender.

guest25":4zsxreus said:
Brandonm2":4zsxreus said:
Angus Guy":4zsxreus said:
On another line the one thing I've noticed more and more is that there is a lot of posters bashing Angus but not very many if any Angus breeders bashing the other breeds. WHY IS THIS?

Think positive, the Angus guys could just be out on the road delivering bulls they have recently sold and don't have the time too be on the internet attacking Hereford, Limousin, Simmental, and Scotch Highlands. Angus outmarketed, out researched, out scienced, and outworked Hereford and all the other breeds. The Angus Association could stop spending money on advertising and marketing altogether and with what the grocery stores and restaurants are spending on pushing Angus they would still have more press than all the other breeds probably do combined.

Isn't it great to stand up for a association that withholds true data and distorts reports.

Better yet a organization that probably had to use jimmy hofa to get the grading standards stacked to fit the inept breed.

By the way when you come out of that dream world you are in for a rude awakening.

28 years ago angus needed other breeds to make them a marketable animal. Charolais, Hereford's, Simmental, and shorthorns crossed with an angus was the only thing that made it marketable.

If you call a premium of under 20 dollars ahead on 15.6 percent of 110 million head over 28 years something to crow about it don't take much to influence you or make you happy.

With the greatest of respect g25

While I have owned a few registered Angus cows and worked for a couple of outfits that DID breed registered Anguses, I have never registered Angus cattle as such and I am not a member of their association and never have been. I also have repeatedly said that I believe that Angus has in the past used outcrosses to make their breed more marketable. Dr Harlan Ritchie (one of the top "gurus" of the American cattle industry) has PUBLICLY come out and stated the same thing. HELLO!!!! everybody already knew THAT and there was no market reaction. Nobody CARES if the breed is "pure" or not as long as they get the job done. Angus has been pushing their tenderness, eating experience, quality grade, and market acceptance for more than a generation. Can I breed Herefords who will put as good a steak on the table as CAB or any other ************* product? Absolutely. However can I even buy Certified Hereford Beef at any retail establishment in the 10 county Birmingham Metro Area (where 24% of the state lives)? Absolutely not!! They sell Certified Angus Beef at the new Foodworld store, Angus pride at the Food Giant, Wal-mart has their own Angus product http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/Walmart.htm
All right here in my home town. What if I want too buy Nolan Ryan's beef and support my Beefmaster friends?

http://www.nolanryanbeef.com/where_to_buy.php

Nope not in this state. So you rightfully point out that most Angus cattle don't qualify for Angus premiums. THIS is true! What other breed pays ANY premiums??? If it is not black it is just commodity beef and even a lot of that is both black and Angus.

What are your allegations? That Angus breeders and the Angus Association have conspired to downplay their faults, exaggerated their strengths, exaggerated the weaknesses of the other breeds, downplayed the strengths of the other breeds, pushed Angus on cattlemen who could have been better served by another breed, and created a nationwide legend that Angus beef is better beef? They probably ARE guilty of all of that....so?!?!.....isn't THAT their job??

I don't have any cows right now and if the loggers don't hurry up on that clear cut so I can plant this spring I won't have any this YEAR!! but I probably will be buying a set of white face heifers; but I can not in all honesty say that I could NOT find Angus heifers that I would NOT like. True there are Angus out there that are too big, too small, too heavy milking, too lite muscled, too high strung, etc for my taste; but with 400,000 some calves being registered, I probably could pretty easily find a set of good Angus heifers and probably without a lot of work.

Brandonm2":1xf1cdoq said:
While I have owned a few registered Angus cows and worked for a couple of outfits that DID breed registered Anguses, I have never registered Angus cattle as such and I am not a member of their association and never have been. I also have repeatedly said that I believe that Angus has in the past used outcrosses to make their breed more marketable. Dr Harlan Ritchie (one of the top "gurus" of the American cattle industry) has PUBLICLY come out and stated the same thing. HELLO!!!! everybody already knew THAT and there was no market reaction. Nobody CARES if the breed is "pure" or not as long as they get the job done. Angus has been pushing their tenderness, eating experience, quality grade, and market acceptance for more than a generation. Can I breed Herefords who will put as good a steak on the table as CAB or any other ************* product? Absolutely. However can I even buy Certified Hereford Beef at any retail establishment in the 10 county Birmingham Metro Area (where 24% of the state lives)? Absolutely not!! They sell Certified Angus Beef at the new Foodworld store, Angus pride at the Food Giant, Wal-mart has their own Angus product http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/Walmart.htm
All right here in my home town. What if I want too buy Nolan Ryan's beef and support my Beefmaster friends?

http://www.nolanryanbeef.com/where_to_buy.php

Nope not in this state. So you rightfully point out that most Angus cattle don't qualify for Angus premiums. THIS is true! What other breed pays ANY premiums??? If it is not black it is just commodity beef and even a lot of that is both black and Angus.

What are your allegations? That Angus breeders and the Angus Association have conspired to downplay their faults, exaggerated their strengths, exaggerated the weaknesses of the other breeds, downplayed the strengths of the other breeds, pushed Angus on cattlemen who could have been better served by another breed, and created a nationwide legend that Angus beef is better beef? They probably ARE guilty of all of that....so?!?!.....isn't THAT their job??

I don't have any cows right now and if the loggers don't hurry up on that clear cut so I can plant this spring I won't have any this YEAR!! but I probably will be buying a set of white face heifers; but I can not in all honesty say that I could NOT find Angus heifers that I would NOT like. True there are Angus out there that are too big, too small, too heavy milking, too lite muscled, too high strung, etc for my taste; but with 400,000 some calves being registered, I probably could pretty easily find a set of good Angus heifers and probably without a lot of work.

This is a great post, Brandon. Thanks.

Brandon, I spent a long time trying to find a group of heifers to buy this year. I looked at quite a few of them and if you have trouble finding heifers you DON'T like, then I guess I am way more critical than you are. Angus (black) have become extremely watered down and many, many people buy them on name and color alone. There are a few good Angus cattle around and Angus compostites are pretty much all I've got so don't think that I'm coming at this from a different breed perspective. I love good Angus cattle, but there are thousands that are Angus only because they're black and the positives stop there.

Badlands":rtpjrlbn said:
Angus outmarketed,
TRUE!

No disagreement here then.

out researched,
FALSE!

40 years ago, the top Angus breeders owned a group of short, fat, dinky, little toads with a lot of dwarf carriers. If they had stood behind those cattle they WOULD be a hobby breed today. Instead they got rid of the dwarves, sat down, brain stormed with feeders, packers, professors and wrote down what they wanted their cows too look like and they went out and did it (by any means necessary). I qualify that too be "out researched".

Angus was on the cutting edge of the creation of and adoption of EPDs, carcass EPDs, ultrasound, and ET and AI to the point that half of the Angus registered last year were AI and ET calves. Nobody adopts new techology faster and more widely spread within the breed than do the Angus crew.

and outworked
MAYBE! A question of perspective, really.

Who else came up with the idea of branding their breed?? We could easily have Certified Charolais Beef in fine restaurants or Certified Texas Longhorn for that matter; but nobody else was willing to do the legwork and spend the money to create a brand name. Heck Hardees puts "Angus" in their tv commercials. McDonalds is experimenting with an Angus burger. I bet 90% of the public don't even know that Angus are Black. Angus clearly outworked everybody else in the cattle biz.

No disagreement here then

and all the other breeds.
FALSE!!

What continental or Brahman breed has done even a decent job over the last 15 years at taking market share??? Most other breeds (red Angus being a little bit of an exception) register far less animals than they did 15 years ago. Either the cattle ARE inferior (and that is arguably true of some breeds) or their breeders just have not done as good a job at getting out there and moving product as the Angus guys have done (probably the case with most breeds).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts