Angus, a superior product or superior marketing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think Angu has had outside genetics infused into the gene pool?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The AngusSource is a separate program with it's own standards.
Thanks
DM

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 2:53 PM CST

Finding Choice, Prime cattle gets more difficult

By Jeff DeYoung, Iowa Farmer Today

LEWIS -- Finding cattle that grade Choice and Prime is becoming more difficult, according to an executive with Certified Angus Beef (CAB).

Larry Corah, CAB vice president, told producers at the recent 4-State Beef Conference demand for premium beef is highand supply continues to drop.

"There is a tremendous demand for quality beef. We could sell more, but we can't find the product," he said. "Last year we sold a half-billion pounds of Certified Angus Beef, and if we could find the cattle, we could double that within 12 to 18 months."

According to USDA figures, just more than 60 percent of cattle graded Choice in 1996. That figure dropped to about 57 percent in 2005.

CAB requires all beef to be at least Choice and from black-hided cattle. He said consumers prefer beef that is tender, has good flavor and is juicy. That requires certain marbling specifications, Corah noted.

He said industry concerns include inadequate marbling, and excess fat and variable cut weights.

"A box may say the cuts average 12.5 pounds, but you could have strips in there weighing anywhere from 8 to 14 lbs. If you are going to cut those into strip steaks, you are going to have some variability."

Corah said only 14 percent of all black-hided carcasses fit into CAB's guidelines. Producers can garner a healthy premium if their cattle grade Choice or above, he added. Between 40 and 50 percent of cattle are marketed on a grid, Corah said, and that figure could increase to 70 percent.

"The economic importance of quality grade is going to grow. Today, the spread between a Select and CAB-qualifying carcass of the same weight will be in the $150-200 range, making quality an important economic factor in profitability."

Corah believes several factors contribute to fewer quality cattle.

Health problems will harm carcass quality, he said citing Iowa State University research that indicated calves treated two or more times for bovine respiratory disease had an 18 percent reduction in grading low Choice compared to more healthy calves, he said. "The impact was a 44 percent reduction in Prime and 33 percent fewer premium Choice grading cattle. Sick cattle just don't grade."

Corah said feedlots have tended to place younger and less heavy cattle, which could result in increase health risk. Treatment costs and death losses continue to increase, he added.

"We are selecting cattle that have higher growth rates, and those do have more health problems. They have a voracious appetite, and producers have a harder time managing their intake, and most of the health problems tend to be acidic."

Another recent issue is the effect of ethanol co-products on marbling. Research at Kansas State University indicates cattle fed large amounts of co-products have lower marbling scores, Corah said.

"What they're finding that if the co-products are 30 percent or more of the ration on a dry-matter basis, it may impact marbling. If the amount is more than 40 percent, it has an impact.

"Iowa has reputation for having high-quality cattle, and you don't want to lose that reputation. We need to figure out how to use these co-products without impacting the quality grade."

Geography also could be playing a role in beef quality.

Since 1970, Corah said the number of cattle fed in Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana has dropped from 40 to 16 percent. Over the same period, the percentage fed in Texas has risen from 14.4 percent to 26.1 percent. "Feedlots with less than 20,000-head capacity are located in Iowa and Nebraska, and tend to focus on higher quality. The larger yards are located in Kansas and Texas, and typically aim to upgrade Southern cattle."

http://www.iowafarmer.com/articles/2007 ... tle_jd.txt

Are the Leachmans still the big dogs in the Pieds and Montana Range??? Or did they finally sell out??? I would really need too carefully investigate the situation before partnering with them on anything. If YOU are making money selling beef and bulls, GREAT. I would keep it as quiet as possible though; because as anybody who follows this industry knows, the herd can move one direction or another REAL FAST. With AI and ET you can go from 100,000 x-bred calves a year and 10,000 total registered head too 2 million calves and 100,000 reg. cows REAL FAST. That ride up is probably fun.....but when the market shifts and you hit glut status......THAT probably is not too much fun.

Angus/Brangus said:
You are assuming that all Angus cattlemen are in the finished beef business, when, in fact, very few are, and they still get a premium.

You're skirting quantity because there is very little. There is an available supply of Pieds. One has only to call around and see what is for sale.

• What does an average replacement fullblood Pied heifer cost?[/
[/list]quote] after this fight he has put up over em i hope a he!@! of a lot

Angus/Brangus and guest25...if either one of you spent half as much time worrying about how to improve your own stuff instead of what the other guy and their association was doing, not only would you spare the rest of us from your childlike bickering, you'd probably be head and shoulders ahead of everyone else!

I admit, you do seem to be the bigger man if the fight, but I, too believe you might be wasting your time! Oh, Well it is tough to debate with someone who only wants to argue and name call. In my opinion if you never stoop to that level then you have won.

preston39":2x89g78a said:
I thought Leachman only had Angus, Red Angus and Charlois augmented with a hybrid. Didn't know they had Pieds.

http://redbull.leachman.com/breedssemen.htm

I have too admit that I have never been too interested in the people side of the cattle biz. I remember a bull I liked; but often can't remember what the breeder looked like.....even when I have met the dude. Although I did work for an outfit that bought and bred a bunch of Leachman composites back in the 90s, I don't know any Leachmans and have never stepped foot in Montana (though visiting the Bighorn National Battlefield is on my this lifetime to do list). So which Leachmans are involved in the Montana ranch and which are involved in the Colorado ranch and how they are related too each other is beyond my mental capacity.

http://www.montanarange.com/mir_history_leachman.html

I think the results of the survey probably speak for themselves.

It's been 80/20 since there were about 5 total votes, it hasn't changed.

Badlands

Hey,

Whoever is locking threads, you missed this one!!!!!!

Badlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts