Anaplasmosis...did I spell it right?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMHayes

Reaction score
I had a cow down in the field last Saturday that was having calving problems. When I got the vet out there we found that she had Anaplasmosis. He gave her a shot of Tetracycline and told me to give her another 60cc's the next day. As of today she was still stumbling around and wanting to lay down. She's drinking water and has been eating any feed I take to her. Is this something that takes awhile to recover from? I know she's now going to be a carrier, but I hate to sell her knowing that there must be another cow that is a carrier of the disease that will give it to other cows, or is this something that wildlife such as deer can carry? Are there any vaccinations for this? I've been feeding the rest of the herd crumbles(can't remeber the name of the stuff) as a precautionary.

Don't have much first hand info - but deer can be carriers & the means of transfer is likely the tic. What advice does your vet give you as to whether or not to keep the cow? Apparently it takes a considerable amount of time for full recovery, but as you say she will always be a carrier & insects like tics & horn flies are the means of transmittal to other animals in your herd. Seems to me that you should attempt to purge your herd of this protoza parasite.

i think ticks,horse flies & mosquitoes are the main carriers. wild animals can be carriers. after you kill the bacteria she will have to rebuild her red blood cells. sheep & goats carry it ,but seldom show symtoms. there is a vaccine called anavac, but it costs 6.50 a dose. the crumbles will work. i use the more concentrated 50g aueomycin to mix with minerals

JMHayes":1j45p8xc said:
Is this something that takes awhile to recover from? .
They normally don't recover from Anaplasmosis. Dead is about as good as most will get.

$6.50 a dose times about 50 or so head is not worth it. The bag of crumbles says not to feed more than 5 consecutive days. How often should I feed this? The Vet told me not to sell her b/c chances are I have another carrier in the herd, but now I have a cow with no calf and a carrier of a disease. She's 2 to 4 years old so he said she should come to a full recovery.

you can get minerals with ctc right in them. you will need to feed it through the entire vector season. i had kept one cow before & never had any trouble

jerry27150":174rr1l7 said:
you can get minerals with ctc right in them. you will need to feed it through the entire vector season. i had kept one cow before & never had any trouble
CTC can work wonders can't it Jerry?

you need to give her 60cc shots for 5 days to fully get her over it and yes they are carriers but no you do not have to sale them horseflys an skeeters are main cause of it yjere is almost 50% death loses with those cows scott

How did the vet confirm this in the field without a blood test? I was informed by a vet that 3 doses of la200 over 9 days would take care of this problem provided they weren't already to far gone, is this correct?

the vet can pretty much tell what she has just by looking at her an he has his own doesing info he follows when we would dr for it we would give them 4 or 5 shots over 5 days scott

la4angus":3891fg9y said:
JMHayes":3891fg9y said:
Is this something that takes awhile to recover from? .
They normally don't recover from Anaplasmosis. Dead is about as good as most will get.

Personally, I have never had a cow or heifer die of anaplasmosis. The only deaths have occurred in bulls and bull yearlings. I vaccinate all bulls that are going to be kept, yearlings are sold. It will take a cow a while to get over it, she has to rebuild blood cells.

I don't know about where you are, but, in Texas, horse flies are really bad this year. They are the main carriers from infected animal to healthy animal.

jgn":1piifeuo said:
How did the vet confirm this in the field without a blood test? I was informed by a vet that 3 doses of la200 over 9 days would take care of this problem provided they weren't already to far gone, is this correct?

All he would have had to done was pull a little blood into a syringe. If it looked like yellow water, then she has anaplasmosis. Anyone can check if you got a syringe.

Latest posts