An old Native American Tradition carries on

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The Assiniboine and Lakota Sioux Indian's have an old tradition for honoring their friends and persons they respect... Star Quilts are still wrapped around the shoulders of the recipient as a symbolic way to honor and protect that person on their journey through life... Every year at our local area basketball tournaments- many of the Indian youths and their families present star quilts to other athletes or coachs/teachers to honor them...
https://kalispellregional.org/foundatio ... star-quilt

Last weekend the District 2B Montana High School basketball tournaments were held here in Glasgow... And during that tournament- the Native American teams sponsored a Star Quilt Giveaway Ceremony...
Now is when I have to put on my Grandpa sized bragging hat :cboy: .... My granddaughter is a Junior in High School and the 6'1" starting Center for the Glasgow Lady Scotties who were in the tournament.. And she was honored to be the recipient of one of the quilts given to her by the family of a young lady on an opposing team...
This is the 3rd year she has been honored by being gifted one of these quilts by differing girls from differing teams... (And the girls took 2nd in the District tournament- now on their way to Divisional's in 2 weeks)...

Just a few of the beautiful quilts that were in the giveaway...

Granddaughter Leinie being presented with her star quilt from the young lady from Poplar and her family....

Joining hands and forming the Circle of Prayer... My granddaughter is the blonde in the red and white Glasgow Scotties uniform in the right side of the picture...

To the beat of the drums the native American Indian singers sing out a native Indian prayer...

I've never heard of that. It looks and sounds awesome. Do many receive blankets from opposing teams? Thanks for sharing.

Craig Miller":3nxt4xni said:
I've never heard of that. It looks and sounds awesome. Do many receive blankets from opposing teams? Thanks for sharing.

Yeah they often give it to members of opposing teams- to honor them for their sportsmanship and hard work at play...The young lady that gave this one to Leinie is a Sophomore from the Poplar Indians team- and she honored Leinie by saying it was because of her being able to learn by watching her play and encourage her by seeing her hard playing ability... In our District 3 of the 5 teams in the District are made up of a majority native American players... My granddaughter has also played on teams with or against many of these girls during the summer months in tournaments thru-out the state..

Leinie was the only team member to get one on her team- but one of the members of our boys team was also presented one... He is the young man in the lower left of the prayer circle with the beautiful white, red, and black quilt wrapped over his shoulders...

After 60+ years of watching these ceremonies I am still in awe of this ongoing tradition- and the friendship, sportsmanship, and culture exchange it promotes...

Seeing something like this reaffirms my hope in people..especially youth. Thanks for sharing

This, "The young lady that gave this one to Leinie is a Sophomore from the Poplar Indians team- and she honored Leinie by saying it was because of her being able to learn by watching her play and encourage her by seeing her hard playing ability..." is a testimony to your granddaughter's qualities as witnessed by an opposing player. Quite a compliment!

Be proud. Thanks.

Truly awesome! Thanks for sharing. Those quilts are treasures! Wonderful to know that something' like this is being done.

Latest posts