Amish Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't kid yourself about all them living in the stone age. About to years ago there was one family that got "shunned" by the rest of the church. The "shunned" part I know is true the reasons are a little shady.

What I heard was that the family had a room in the home that had a pocket door entrance when the door was closed it was designed to look like the rest of the wall. Supposedly they kept the forbidden toys in this room... such as a big screen TV.... Anyway, it is alledged that the Monday Night football game was playing on the big screen when the Bishop paid an unexpected visit.

...ebdebdebd that's all folks :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious note these two items for sure I know are factual because I worked with members of both of these families.

One family, the Melvin Miller's had a daughter, Karen, that had "died' at birth and had been revived. As a result she was brain damaged. She was blind, couldn't speak, and had no control over her bodily functions and needed a respirator to breath.

For a while she was kept in a nursing facility but the family wanted her at home. The doctors said there was no guarantee how long she might live; maybe a couple of years, maybe much longer. Anyway the parents appealed to the Bishop for permission to install electricty in ONE bedroom of the home to power the equipment needed to keep her alive.

Permission was granted on the condition that in the event that she passed away the electricity would be removed.

Having been one of those taxi drivers for Melvin since he lived on my way to work I used to stop and give him a ride every morning and home every evening. Frequently, I was invited in for a piece of pie or a cup of coffee (brewed on the gas stove).

Even with the opportunity to abuse the fact that he had electric in the home he never abused it. Karen lived to age 9 and about a month after the funeral the Bishop came out to remind Melvin to remove the electricity and it had already been done.

The 2nd example is similar but with a different outcome. The Loren Burkholder family had a 17 year old son (don't remember the boy's name). This son was in the "sowing of wild oats" stage and had gotten himself a car. Long story short... He was out joyriding, drunk and wrapped it around a tree. Today the boy is paralyzed from the neck down and needs a ventilator to breathe.

The Burkholder's and the Miller's lived in two entirely seperate districts. When the Burkholder's went to their Bishop to request to install electricity in order to run the ventilator they were denied permission. I don't know what the reason was but the outcome is that if they wanted to take care of their son they had to leave the Amish Church, which they did.

Being not to far removed from the Amish folk there are things that I notice about my mom and other relatives that I don't see in people that are not closely related... They aren't big things that a lot of people would notice but they are there nonetheless. A lot of people closely related to the Amish kind of see there being an invisible fence between the two groups and when someone makes a comment or does something that we recognize and being distinctly Amish manytimes the person that says or does whatever caught our attention is described at a "Jerked Over Amishman".

Anyway, the reason that I brought that up is that my Dad still works with Loren Burkholder and he told me that Loren still thinks of himself as Amish and instead of being "jerked over" he was "forced to jump."

Not to prolong this discussion but here are some links to resources for books and information on the Amish that can answer more questions that I have.

http://www.amishbusiness.com/books/lifestyle.html
http://www.allamish.com/abouttheamish.shtml (just a note: I went to school with Steve Nolt who also collaberated on another book with Tom Meyer the prof I helped with his doctorate)

You can find information on just about anything you want. -- hey and don't overlook the cookbooks... if you've never sat down at an Amish table for a meal you don't know what you've been missing. The rule at an Amish meal is "7 Sweets and 7 Sours" I'll tell you one thing if you go away hungry from an Amish table you weren't hungry to begin with.

And if some of you ask nice I might even send you my grandmother's recipe for Apple Dumplings - guaranteed to give you a sugar high and beg for more.

http://www.mennolink.org/books/amish.html
http://www.mennolink.org/books/aboutmennonites.html (Note: there are two authors in here that I recommend - Dyck & Wenger... JC Wenger's writings are prolific and entertaining. I had the opportunity to listen to him several times as a student.)

... Just check out all the links on the mennolink site.

Last thing, I promise, unless someone brings up another topic for me to expound on.

I know that a lot of you don't agree with they way that the Amish do things or understand why they do things the way they do.

Regardless of whether you agree or not you have have to admire their attempt to retain their lifestyle in an ever increasingly modern culture.

I left the Mennonite community in 1999. But like the old saying that you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy. I guess in some way I will always be almost Amish and very Mennonite from the way I think about a lot of things to the phrases I say... and yeh some of them are in Pennsylvania Dutch.

At the time that I left the Mennonite Community I couldn't really put a finger on the pulse of why I left until after I was gone a couple of years. The biggest reason I had to leave was that for the most reason the more progressive Mennonites IMHO&O have lost sight of why they believe what they say they believe and thus don't outwardly live the way that they say they believe... in other words they don't practice what they preach. Additionally, I have a hard time with anyone who takes the Bible and takes takes a single verse and twists it to fit a given situation in today's world. - more on this at the close.

IMHO one of the main reasons that this is happening among the plain people has to do with the Mennonite Colleges. In the community I grew up in our church was the first Mennonite congregation in the county (after a number splits, etc). Almost forever, at least until I hit High School, everyone was a farmer...even if they had a day job. In short the rural community was quite conservative in it's make up.

Then kids started going to college and not coming back to the community. When I finally got to college I found out why. The colleges and the instructors were most bleeding heart liberals. And the ideas being taught were at direct odds with the values and the beliefs that I was taught in the community.... Don't get me wrong not every dept was that way but not every kid took Bible classes. In fact, it was the smallest dept on campus. The largest dept's on campus were the Sociology, Social Work, and Anthropology Dept's... Ironically, Tom Meyers who I mentioned in the post above is a conservative outpost in that department.

But when you understanding of scripture is literal and God is God the Father, homosexuality is an abomination and that our acceptance of the gift of God's grace defines who we are as Christians is suddenly challenged be people who supposedly have signed a statement of faith and are in line with the Church's stated beliefs. You have to question if you walked into another dimension when you left the registrar's office.

I was faced with things I had never dreamt of before like the concept of Mother God, support groups for gay and lesbian students, radical feminists and a group of guys that called themselves the "brothers" that supported the feminists... one of their favorite modes of dress was a roughspun skirt. The shift in reliance on God and the community of the church to the concept that individual is self-reliant and the center of the universe.

This has gone so far that some of the churches in the Conference have either chosen or been asked to leave the conference because they adopted a lot of this thought and practice. You would think that the conference would then do something about what is being taught on the campuses but they don't.

Here's what it finally boils down to for me. The best way I can describe it is to use and example that I heard on our local Christian Radio Station on an edition of Family Life Today. The speaker was talking about Reclaiming our Families... If you want to know more go to their website and you can find the name of the book that they were talking about... anyway an example is this speaker who's first question when giving a seminar is, "How many of you have been to a Madonna concert?" Next, "How many of you have purchased a Madonna Album?" Next, "How many of you know who Madonna is?" And last, "How many of you choose to know who Madonna is?" Progressively more and more hands go up until the last question when no hands go up but everyone finally sees where he is headed.

I choose to determine what is presented to my kids... at least the two left at home. The oldest has already cast her lot with water conservers and her "special friend" ... thank God it's a guy... has asked her to make him a skirt.

Anyway, as I said before. IMHO the progressive Mennonites have lost sight of why they believe the way they do and only know that "this is what we believe."

I have lots of differing points one being that I am not a CO. Another being that I believe that any person or preacher that takes a single verse and applies it an event in the world today is in error. You have to take verses in context. That is why I choose to attend at non-denominational church where the pastor teaches through each book in it's entirety. You don't skip over the uncomfortable parts just because you don't want to have to address them.

The Bible addresses a response to every possible event that could ever happen in the world today and make no mistake the advent of Jesus did not devalue the worth of the Old Testament. Jesus said that he didn't come to abolish the law and prophets but to add to them...

OK enough preaching for now...

The difference between the Amish and Mennonites is more in the way they live and respond to the world around them than in belief.

The following are beliefs officially held by both groups.

The Bible is the inspired word of God

There is one God eternally existing as Father, Son, and Holy
Spirit (Romans 8:1-17).

God loved the world so much that he gave his only son, Jesus, to die on the cross for the sins of the world.

Through faith in the shed blood of Jesus we are reconciled to God.

Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ, a free gift bestowed by God on those who repent and believe.

As Christians, we should live as brothers

The Holy Spirit convicts of sin, and also empowers believers for service and holy living.

The church is separate from the State

We are committed to peace.

Faith calls for a lifestyle of discipleship and good works service and holy living.

But you have to understand that one cannot simply say that "this" is the difference because there are so many different sects among the Amish and the Mennonites.

I am going to list another website for you to look at that hopefully will answer some of your questions.

Much of the information provided on this website in a restatement of what I wrote earlier. Some in greater detail.
Some of it is in addition to what I wrote.

When you read this information you will note that some of it is even different than what you read in the posts about individual practices in various areas of the country.

One thing that you will not find written in the answers is that Mennonites are now serving in government. You probably also won't find anything about the Amish fellow that became an MD and caters primarily to the Amish people.

You won't read either that the Amish don't have middle names. Just initials. My grandmother was born Sarah C. Yoder. The C stands for my great-grandfather's first name which was an obscure old Testament name "Chilion". All of her natural brothers and sisters have the same middle initial. This is common amongst the Amish.

Here is the website:

http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/amishfaq.htm#diff

And you can't overlook that as the Mennonites like the group that I grew up in are virtually in distinguishable from everyone else... (I mean that until I was 8-9 years old my mom wore a head covering when we went to church but when we got home it came off and stayed off until the following Sunday. - Head coverings are a thing of the past in that group. Take one step down the ladder and head coverings are worn every day and ladies don't cut their hair - They curl it into a bun). What I am getting at is that the Mennonites I grew with officially believe the statements made above. And for the most part they could be the official beliefs of just about any other denomination the difference is in how they go about putting those beliefs into action.

One example would be MDS - the Mennonite Disaster Service. No doubt that some who have experiences devastation in Florida from Hurricanes and Tornadoes in Texas probably had MDS volunteers show up to help with the cleanup. They have been doing this forever... many times they are leaving to help within hours of an event.

The Amish don't as a rule participate in this venture.

Another example would be the Mennonite Relief Sales. Pretty much every conference has one. Different churches sell different things that are handmade. Somethings are not but most things are. They have a huge "garage sale". In Indiana, cousins of mine who started a company back in the 50's called Nelson's Golden Glow and are Mennonite spend Memorial Day weekend at the county fairgrounds barbecuing chicken halves, pork chops, beef ribs, smoked sausage, shrimp and whatever else they have found they can do in their "diptisseries". Other groups make food items to sell that are uniquely Mennonite or Amish like homemade apple butter and homemade noodles. They bring in items handmade by indiginous peoples in other countries to sell. But the biggest draw is the quilt auction on Saturday morning. There are still groups like the MWSC "Mennonite Womens Sewing Circle" that meet once a week and set around a quilt frame and handsew quilts. There are individual ladies that will take an entire year to build a quilt for the relief sale. Now over the past few years machine quilts have been accepted as well. The big thing is that some of these quilts sell for thousands of $$.

The website for the relief sale for the conference that I lived in is listed below. My mom is still the coordinator for the church I grew up in. See if you can find reference to Yellow Creek somewhere on the site. Also see if you can find a link to Third Way Cafe somewhere.

http://www.mennonitesale.org/Home

My backline on my Dad's side of the family and my Mom's side the family crisscross a couple of times between the mid 1700's as they moved across country from PA to OH & IN. In fact, the backline contains some rich history such as one of the first, not the "1st" but one of them, Amish Bishops in America.

My mothers grandfather on her dad's side of the family was an Conservative Mennonite minister named Martin Ressler and her great-great uncle - yeh that's it - was the first Mennonite Missionary in India. Jacob Andrews Ressler was his name.

That's another thing about the Mennonites and Amish. You have to be able to play the "name game" at the gatherings and reunions. If you can't you really have a hard time fitting in. It's kind of like the begats in I & II Chronicles in the Old Testament.

OK... like I said yesterday in my post. There are some fundamental flaws that caused me to leave the MC.

One of them is this hypocrisy of being fundamentally closed to outsiders at the church/community level and then when you get to college you have the Bible & Religion Dept trying to teach traditional beliefs at odds with the Humanities Dept which is teaching self-actualization and all sort of humanistic ideas and nobody from the board of overseers to the elders in the local church seem to see what is going on. And the worst part is that this new age kind of stuff comes in dressed as a wolf in sheepskin. The the conference leadership reacts too late because the damage has already taken place.

In the year after I finished my BA in Accounting and minor in Bible and Religion. Two professors were left go because someone complained that one had made comments in class that it was ok to experiment with same sex relations - this was a female PE teacher trying to come on to a student. The other happened to be my advisor in the Accounting Dept. I never noticed anything but back then I was too busy lobbying for automatic door openers and wheelchair accessible water fountains and curb cuts. That was right after my spinal injury. The secretary complained that she was tired of taking phone calls from his male companions. Soon after that the campus pastor... not affiliated with the Bible Dept, thank God, lobbied for inclusion of homosexual students on certain committees. She was eventually dismissed for that after parents expressed disapproval.

You know the college can't close it's doors to these students because it does accept federal funding but there is something fundamentally wrong they can spend thousands of $$ on these types of issues and then say that if a physically challenged student wants to attend school there they have to be almost self-sufficient and provide practically no support for them. OK I'm done ranting. That was 15 years ago.

Anyway like I was saying yesterday. We don't get to choose to know or not to know who Madonna is. We have it shoved in our face. The same with all this same sex marriage crap and the removal of the basic tenets on which our country was founded.

How is it ok for a homosexual student to write a paper or give a speech blasting the conservative Christians for their stance and then a crime of hate speak for the conservative Christian to cite their stance based on Biblical knowledge and conscience?

How is it ok for the Muslim community to be able to proseletyze in our nations schools but the Wednesday afternoon Bible class that we used to have is now outlawed? Can't use the idea of seperation of Church and State because Muslims go to church in a Mosque and not a "church" It is still religion any way you look at it.

Yeh, I know I took a tangent. Anyway the real point that I am getting at is that I have much more respect for most Amish than I do for the Mennonites. I mean the Mennonites do a lot of good things. They really put the basic tenents of their faith into action by doing good things but... ask any one of the young people why they do these things and I believe that not very many can tell you.

Ask them why they believe that pacifism is the way to go.
Ask them why the Church practices infant dedication and then believer's baptism.
Ask them why at the communion service there is also the washing of feet and the "holy kiss".
Ask them why they believe anything and for the most part I think that answer will be because we've always done it that way.

JMO

Muratic":2oxqgm4z said:
preston39":2oxqgm4z said:
Many of us should be so lucky to be existing in such enviroment.

Interesting there Preston.
You have plainly not dealt with the amish.

preston39":2oxqgm4z said:
Also an added benefit would be that we wouldn't have to see such degrading commentary about another human being/group.
And better yet, no electricity means you couldn't use the computer. ;-)
=========
Muratic,

Youre plainly wrong.

I have had many successful dealings with them and know many others who have. Never heard nothing but good things about them.

preston39":2ihc4ujh said:
Never heard nothing but good things about them.

That is a lie too. How many bad things have you heard in this thread alone. Maybe you deal with them just fine. They think alot like you do.

You have no credibility here preston. The sooner you realize that, the better things will be for you.

I have had many dealings with both groups. There are good and bad in all peoples. With that said most of the work I have been involved in has turned out great, I for one wouldnt hesitate to work with either group.

I have heard many poor things said, many on this tread, I believe little of what I am told and only most of what I see. lol

We all have our prejudices and clearly there are some here, earned or otherwise.

Great tread

MD

Very interesting thread on the Amish.
Interesting also seems that the cheerleading squad is from Kentucky,hmm....

Have had dealings with them as well, both good and bad...but IF I had to chose a group of people to work or deal with on a regular basis...it would be the Amish or Menonites.. the do have a higher calling then most 'english, and also seem to have an earthly accounting as well, meaning their own church and community. Just MO. :cboy:

Capt Call":29lpvsi2 said:
Very interesting thread on the Amish.
Interesting also seems that the cheerleading squad is from Kentucky,hmm....
=========
Capt Call,
Cheerleading was never my call. Just don't like to hear a group of people criticised for what is probably the unfortunate experience with a few.

If that is the case we are all due to be comdemed.

Although we have a number of both Menonite and Amish communities near by, I've had very few dealings with them. But those few have been positive. Their work ethic sure does get the job done and done right

dun

Wow, I didnt know so many people disliked the Amish.

Around here they are nothing but hardworking good people.
Ive heard bad things about Amish but NOTHING about the ones from here.

Ive always been fascinated with them and How simply they live.
They are always kind and polite, Although there are a few that seem to think they are better than the "englishers" Not many but a very few

;-)

Latest posts