Amish Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
On Amish farms as far as livestock, what is rasied? Do most Amish Farms run a dairy operation? Or just milk a few cows for personal consumption? Or do they raise beef cattle?

I don't like the amish real well.

But to answer Cope's question, most of them around here are a "jack of all trades". Lots dairy. Matter of fact my cousin hauls milk. Got stuck with the amish route when he lost his CDL. They ship grade B milk for lack of bulk tank. He has to load the cans by hand.
Most raise the feed they put thru their cattle.
Few run beef cattle, not many of them in my area. Most will pick up odd jobs here and there. Women will take the buggies to town and peddel baskets, rugs,quilts and produce.
All will swindle you given half a chance.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":80iq97nn said:
Oh boy your gonna get Cert all fired up! :lol:

lol, sorry Cert!! I figured most were dairy farms. Do they milk many cows?

CopeMan":2bw1avqk said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2bw1avqk said:
Oh boy your gonna get Cert all fired up! :lol:

lol, sorry Cert!! I figured most were dairy farms. Do they milk many cows?

Cope, I'm not cert and I don't know where she is located at but, here most average 30 head. Usually holsteins.
Was watching one of the neighbors hang laundry out last week.
Old bitty actually had a pully system running from the tree to 2nd storey window in the farm house. Probably damn near 50 ft of rope. Full of clothes. Bet that was the first time she did laundry in a month. 8 kids last I counted.
You know the saying good fences make good neighbors? I my case I need a freakin block wall. :x

I'll wait on Crowder to add his stories here before I go on.

This is good, I want to hear more of your stories!! Well from the pictures Ive seen they have some beautiful farms.

CopeMan":22qkx05l said:
This is good, I want to hear more of your stories!! Well from the pictures Ive seen they have some beautiful farms.
Some have nice places Cope. Other don't give a rat's pituty if the place falls in.Some don't even take decient care of the stock. They are dirty nasty people.

But most of them are the ones that get shunned from the comminuty. They are made to move somewhere else. And the farms don't get any better with the move.

An Amish family just bought a spread not too far from me. They said they came from Wooster, Ohio. Urban sprawl pushed them out. Bought this place here. Had a nice brick ranch home on it. They tore the house down, carefully and neatly. Built a 3 storey farm house in it's place. Said the new home was against the rules of the church. Too many modern luxuries.

Hwat arer there beef cattle of choice? How do they get there cattle to market?

CopeMan":2fpksych said:
Hwat arer there beef cattle of choice? How do they get there cattle to market?
They hire their trucking done. I do a lot of trucking here. More than I care to.
Guess I can't tell you a beef breef of choice. Long as it lives till it gets to market or their plate, suits them just fine.

We don't have any closer than about 30 miles from here. BUT, they're like anyone else. Good and Bad. I know a lot of them sell produce, claim to grow all of it, but forget to hide the boxes from the farmer's market.They make horse, cattle and chicken feed, grind it all with horses, they are hard working folks, but I get the impression that they feel all of us are the enemy. Like I said a while back, I feel they should pay taxes like all the rest of us do.

Crowderfarms":2el7lzjx said:
Like I said a while back, I feel they should pay taxes like all the rest of us do.
You got it backwards Crowder, we shouldn'tbe paying taxes , like them.

We've got a ton of them here. They were pulled out a lot of other places by the church, a few from here and a few from there and sent here to make a new colony because of too much inbreeding. Like Muratic said the farms don't get better with each move. I've worked with them off and on. Generally they are known by their neighbors as crooks and freeloaders. Some are better than others,like the rest of us, but I've never met one here that was like the ones you see in movies or on TV. They believe that it's OK to swindle outsiders, to them thats why we're here.The whole thing seems to be slowly falling apart for them, because too many of the brighter young people are leaving. Their livestock is whatever they can get hold of. A little dairying goes on, but most have a sorry looking cow or two for their own use, maybe a couple calves they've picked up and a bunch of chickens. Some also have ducks, rabbits, guineas, peacocks and the like. Just a few have hogs. The women sell produce, eggs, baked goods and quilts and fancy sewing. Most of them that don't have a store or other business will work odd jobs or carpenter for folding money. Average place is about 20-30 acres. Some are bigger. Another bunch south of here has been a lot more successful and the farms show it. Larger, better kept and the elders have allowed them to use more machinery and things to make a decent living. They also have a better reputation in the community there. Most here build new houses, a few keep them up, but the rest of the places look like heck. If they choose to live in the house that is already there, they will strip it of anything having to do with plumbing or electricity. A few of them are selling out and moving to other places. The people that live close neighbors to them wish they would all go.

We have an amish community all around our farm and they are both good and bad. There are a few of them that are nice enough but if they can get away with something they will. The only problems I have with them is always trying to get us to sell our land, which isnt going to happen. They also pull right out in front of us in their horse and buggy and refuse to pull over. We have a sign up that says "Share the Road" with a picture of a horse and buggy on it, to me the roads are built for all transportation so they should have to share as well. I dont agree with their taxes either, because of their religion they get away with not paying, what keeps everyone from doing that? I could get started and go for awhile so I will shut up.

ollie":3u4brcgx said:
Crowderfarms":3u4brcgx said:
Like I said a while back, I feel they should pay taxes like all the rest of us do.
If you find a way to not pay taxes, without going to the gray bar hotel, let me know, and I'll be glad to stop filing. :shock:

One other group around the close proximity are the Menonites. I believe some of them drive vehicles, and heat with gas. They have a cut throat racket going on with Storage Buildings,Feed, and other enterprises. I've been told they recently had to start paying sales tax, and collecting sales tax. I don't understand how they reap the benefits of living in our Country, but being exempt from all the other liabilities. I'm gonna stop typing now, because I get hotter than a Switch Engine. :mad:

well all these in interesting, it seems like they are almost like foreigners...lol

Crowderfarms":1k7vikjp said:
ollie":1k7vikjp said:
Crowderfarms":1k7vikjp said:
If you find a way to not pay taxes, without going to the gray bar hotel, let me know, and I'll be glad to stop filing. :shock:
There isn't any way but I still would like to be like them as far as taxes.

CopeMan":3s3w5vhi said:
Do they use modern milking equipment and use a parlor or do they milk by hand?
I don't know of any right here that use much in the way of modern equipment or what you would say is a modern parlor. I used to work on silo unloaders and things for the ones south of here, and they had better stuff. They were an interesting bunch. Some had as nice a setup as any other dairy. Some of the ways they did things never made much sense to me though, as far as what was OK and what wasn't. One guy had electricity in his barns and parlor for lights. He was in trouble for that- had to sit in the front of the church and face the congrgation. He told me he'd set up there till the end of time before he unhooked the lights. Ran everything else off of hydraulic pumps and diesel engines and a big generator set. His TMR mixer was all hydraulic drive and the conveyors had orbital motors on them. He ran all that off a Deutz diesel engine with a hydraulic pump on it. We adapted Honda gas engines to the unloaders and he had a push button starter at the bottom of the chute. Somebody climbed up every few days and filled the gas tank. He also had a telephone. It was in a wood box on a pole across the road from his house. If you went by and it was ringing you were supposed to stop and answer it and write a message on the pad inside the lid. I asked why it was over there, he said having a phone at all was about all he could get away with, having it on his property was considered way too prideful. They also had tractors, supposed to be only steel wheels, he had one on rubber that they ran at night. I guess if no one could see who it was driving it was ignored. I did enjoy watching him plant corn though. He had a 7000 John Deere 4 row that he pulled with a team of draft horses. Used a battery and a snowplow lift to raise and lower it. It was strange to hear, the only sound being the harness squeaking and the planter turning. I guess that's enough. You didn't ask me to write a book about it. :lol:

Latest posts