Solar Farms

Help Support CattleToday:

We are a solar farm, but we grow grass. I thought wind would be a better renewable source in most of the US, even though they shut down the turbines below -20. It was a common problem this winter.

wladdes said:
We are a solar farm, but we grow grass. I thought wind would be a better renewable source in most of the US, even though they shut down the turbines below -20. It was a common problem this winter.

We don't get the wind for windfarms, but we do get sun. Construction has started, but not with the company we're in with. There is actually another company that is putting in a farm out here in Minter. Theirs is 2000 acres, but invenergys is now over 18,000.. They are suppose to start in March, but have put out what I call 'stonehenges' everywhere.

greybeard said:
Everything is relative i suppose..

Not an unimaginable amount of acreage for anyone that has spent any amount of time in the far west or even in west central Texas and certainly true up in the great plains.
18,000 acres is just over 28 sections or sq miles.. Houston covers
I've traveled all over Camp Pendleton Calif's 125,000 acres and Ft Hood Tx is nearly twice that size..
Roscoe wind farm alone covers over 100,000 acres and it's not the biggest in the country by any means.
The nearest real lake to me (L. Livingston) covers 83,000 surface acres.

The real test will be in seeing how many MWs/Hr vs BTUs/hr the solar farm produces.
All big things but did you see any other 18,000 acre solar farms? That's what she was referring to.

Its going to get really cold when the solar farm operators start funneling all that solar energy out of there.

Wind generation is very unstable for the electric grid. Solar is far more consistent.

Hydro would be my preferred alternative energy but we live in flat country.

About '74 the media had me convinced we had an energy crisis. I was bought in hook, line, and sinker. It has generated a lot of industry and a lot of commercialization.

Our biggest problem remains as battery technology. We have made very little progress in storing energy in all these decades.

What's going to happen to wind and solar when the subsidies stop? Power prices will either go through the roof or we'll have a waste land of big towers and glass panels. Look at the George Town, Tx project, what a disaster.

The smaller solar farm is almost complete. 2000 acres west of us, started around Oct... The company we've leased with should be starting any time. We'll have one more summer on that place, then we expect to be told to move the cows off...

cowgirl8 said:
The smaller solar farm is almost complete. 2000 acres west of us, started around Oct... The company we've leased with should be starting any time. We'll have one more summer on that place, then we expect to be told to move the cows off...

Best wishes, hope it all works out great for everyone.

TexasBred said:
cowgirl8 said:

Best wishes, hope it all works out great for everyone.

Thank you, every finger is crossed and occasionally I do hold my breath......One guy out here counted his chickens before they hatched and sold all his cows. They then rerouted their farm that excluded his place. We definitely not counting our chickens before they hatch, but, I do chant 'solar panels solar panels' every time I have to drive across that place when it wet and cold...or have a problem I have to make an extra trip to go see if its still a problem..

Update on the solar farm. They have begun.. Pretty excited. Lots of activity going on out here. We were fishing yesterday and could hear poles being driven. If we didnt have a part of this, i'd be pretty mad that they are creating noise pollution. lol.. Its still going to be big, around 18,000 acres. Hard to imagine.

dieselbeef said:
just started 660 acres across the street from us..just moved in the machinery to start ruining the land

Do you have any skin in the game? We can hear the pole driving 10 miles away, i can just imagine how loud it will be across from you...

The 2000 acre solar farm is almost complete. Not sure what the other will finally be, but its projected in being 18,000 acres. Overnight, they had a business city made in a crop field. Made the small one look like a childs lemonade stand... We are in the second faze and got our 6 week notice a few days ago.. Gotta shuffle some cows around. We also have to have a stand of crop pines cleared, but it keeps raining.....agh...

Silver said:
Hard to fathom over 3/4 of a township under solar panels.

We'll never see them.. Its a pretty remote area, unless you live near it. There is a community there, but most have a piece of the pie..

Latest posts