Alright Hobby Boys

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez!":1pcmq6bz said:
As most know we have been reduced to hobby status - so here ya' go.

Last year it was a bit higher - this year - and I am doing the figure for the year end - it looks like about:

$372.30 per cow.

I am working on reducing this by another 15 - 20 bucks per head this year. It will depend on fuel and fertilizer - but we will see.

I am really looking forward to the day the calves cover the cost again.

Bez!

Bez don't qoute me but if I remember my demographics right the average cow herd in Texas was 25 with less than 5% running over 100 head. It was like 95% of the Cattlemen over 50, Texas Southwestern Cattlemans published it a while back.

Caustic Burno":3h60ja0e said:
dane12":3h60ja0e said:
I do not think we ever definded ranching versus hobby in another post or did we?

If you are not calculating every penny it takes to maintain that cow for one year then you don't know you are making or loosing money or don't care. If you are not operating like a business then you have an expensive hobby.

I have always figured the best way to messure any business is to see what you have in the bank by the end of the day/week/month/year and with that said i deal with #'s every day and i also deal with what i call fuzzy math a lot
and i do admit i am a hobbyfarmer since it it not even close to be my main income and no matter how i try to up my numbers i can not get mine any higher than $296.00.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year it was a bit higher - this year - and I am doing the figure for the year end - it looks like about:

$372.30 per cow.

I am working on reducing this by another 15 - 20 bucks per head this year. It will depend on fuel and fertilizer - but we will see.

Bez!

Is that canadian dollars or US? Are things cheaper there?

Now I am concerned about my bull since he got his reproduction stepped on by something. It doesn't look to be terrible, but its chancy to stick with him.

A fever in a bull will cause him to be sterile for two months, All that trauma could seriously effect his quantity, viability and attitude as well as the infection.

Registered cows - $1.20 per day

Commercial cows - $1.00 per day

Catfish - $.00225 per day

How is the catfish business? I like the idea of diversified enterprises that can be implemented with existing infrastucture. Thus splitting the costs up over enterprises.

I guess my question is how can we drop our costs below $300

Beef11":duew6z4r said:

How is the catfish business? I like the idea of diversified enterprises that can be implemented with existing infrastucture. Thus splitting the costs up over enterprises.

You figure that one out post it cause I am getting my Big Chief tablet and red crayon and taking notes.

Caustic Burno":3djhm98i said:
Beef11":3djhm98i said:

You figure that one out post it cause I am getting my Big Chief tablet and red crayon and taking notes.

The Catfish cost has me puzzled. Even with perch traps, I still have the cost of baiting the perch to get them in the traps. My trotlines last 8 to 10 years, but I still have fuel costs when I catch the catfish out of the Brazos. I can't get catfish that cheap.

It was an excellent year for feral hogs. I still had costs catching them too, as well as fuel cost hauling them off to the buyer. Hadn't thought about calculating them. They figure in to the fencing costs I am having.

The Catfish cost has me puzzled. Even with perch traps, I still have the cost of baiting the perch to get them in the traps. My trotlines last 8 to 10 years, but I still have fuel costs when I catch the catfish out of the Brazos. I can't get catfish that cheap.

Try feeding about 10,000 for 200 - 300 days.

$.0025 is each per day

Not counting initial fingerling cost.

Beef11":3ugwfoga said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$372.30 per cow.

Bez!

Is that canadian dollars or US? Are things cheaper there?

Canuck bucks - and as a rule things are far more expensive here.

It has been a very steep learning curve and some of the things we do will not sit well with those of the "Cow Equals Pet" folks.

I am quite willing to speak about what we do and in fact I have done so many times.

A couple of items - we do NOT EVER let the sun set on a downer. When you pencil it out - they sometimes make it and they sometimes do not. But they ALWAYS cost money. Shoot them.

We never take the time to "save a calf" using drugs and time and effort and vets. We give them to the neighbour kids or I shoot them. They often soak up money and THEN they die. I simply cut the costs and hurry up the procedure.

Orphans get a chance to learn to live on the bottle or go on a cow. The 'come to Jesus" method in training old cows is fast and works. If it does not work - two days absolute maximum - the calf goes down the road.

Cow is open - no second chances - she is on the table or out the door.

Vet herd health check annually and he decides the protocol for us - cut our costs by nearly 75%. Money well spent.

We loaded up almost everything and kicked it out the door last year due to nearly rolling under - kept back a few because - in truth I could not toss them.

This place is larger than the posted "average Texas herd" by about two and a half times - and smaller than we were by more than the 5%.

Cows cost money -they leave. Cows earn their keep - they stay.

I never give a second chance any more. Yeah we lose some good ones - but the money we save, plus the money they bring when sold makes me much happier.

Fertilizer and discing has just got a lot cheaper. I bartered my skills to a neighbour who will provide all the free chicken manure I need and disc it in to boot - in exchange for me doing him a few favours. This year we will buy far less fertilizer.

Now I work out in a big way to preserve the roof - but it is slowly improving. Some day I may actually be able to stop the travel and get back in the game full time - we will see.

Where we are you can buy a darned good cow calf pair for under 500 bucks - you have to work to survive. When you folks get done withyour high prices there are going to be some long faces and folks who cannot keep going.

Learn your costs and cut them - sooner the better.

Way it goes - best to all.

Bez!

Dang Caustic you have some folks scratching their heads. It just ain't no way old Gurty Sue can cost that much to support. My cost is a little better but I didn't have to contend with the water issues or the fence damage. I'm right in line with BEZ. This is what has me wandering. I should be able to support them cheaper than he does. I would think his climate has a much larger impact. I would say he does a great job keeping his cost down. My goal for this year is $350 per head. It don't look feasable with gas and fertilizer prices.
Now, why does ole Gurty Sue cost so dang much. Let's say someone is running ole Gurty in a pasture that is not filled to its carrying capacity. Lets assume she was bought at the sale on Jan 1. and brought home to make babies. First is her purchase price. That truck and trailer don't come cheap, nor does the upkeep. Getting her home burns gas. We don't know where she came from but she has now develped shipping fever. The proper meds cures her up. As luck would have it she is in heat and ready for the bull. We have to feed her through the rest of the winter with hay and grain with free choice minerals. Those pastures don't just grow we have to put out more fertlizer and spray them weeds. More fuel. The fences need mending from time to time. We worm ole Gurty Sue and put fly tags in place in our working facilities. Buy another feeder that got wrecked and replace the gearbox on the ole bushhog that hit a anthill covering a rock. Come fall she calves then we buy bands for her bull calf and tools to apply. Another eartag. Purchase more hay for the upcoming winter and figure our total cost. Most actual instances will vary greatly form this, i just wanted to show some of the cost that will be incured.

Total cost includes everthing associated with that cow. cost, meds, feed, minerals, fence maintenance, facilities, utilities, herbicide, fertilizer, bull upkeep, tractor, equipment, vet bills, fuel, supplies, commissions and fees, calf upkeep, time, Etc...

Now take your total cost and divide by the number of cows. That will tell you your cost to carry 1 cow. Better yet do this over a 10 year period and you will get a better result. Some years will have differant variables .Some folks would be surprised if they counted ALL cost. A easy way to keep up with it is to make a spreadsheet with Excel and keep up with all associated cost.

Bama":1jo1reb5 said:
Dang Caustic you have some folks scratching their heads. It just ain't no way old Gurty Sue can cost that much to support. My cost is a little better but I didn't have to contend with the water issues or the fence damage. I'm right in line with BEZ. This is what has me wandering. I should be able to support them cheaper than he does. I would think his climate has a much larger impact. I would say he does a great job keeping his cost down. My goal for this year is $350 per head. It don't look feasable with gas and fertilizer prices.
Now, why does ole Gurty Sue cost so dang much. Let's say someone is running ole Gurty in a pasture that is not filled to its carrying capacity. Lets assume she was bought at the sale on Jan 1. and brought home to make babies. First is her purchase price. That truck and trailer don't come cheap, nor does the upkeep. Getting her home burns gas. We don't know where she came from but she has now develped shipping fever. The proper meds cures her up. As luck would have it she is in heat and ready for the bull. We have to feed her through the rest of the winter with hay and grain with free choice minerals. Those pastures don't just grow we have to put out more fertlizer and spray them weeds. More fuel. The fences need mending from time to time. We worm ole Gurty Sue and put fly tags in place in our working facilities. Buy another feeder that got wrecked and replace the gearbox on the ole bushhog that hit a anthill covering a rock. Come fall she calves then we buy bands for her bull calf and tools to apply. Another eartag. Purchase more hay for the upcoming winter and figure our total cost. Most actual instances will vary greatly form this, i just wanted to show some of the cost that will be incured.

Total cost includes everthing associated with that cow. cost, meds, feed, minerals, fence maintenance, facilities, utilities, herbicide, fertilizer, bull upkeep, tractor, equipment, vet bills, fuel, supplies, commissions and fees, calf upkeep, time, Etc...

Now take your total cost and divide by the number of cows. That will tell you your cost to carry 1 cow. Better yet do this over a 10 year period and you will get a better result. Some years will have differant variables .Some folks would be surprised if they counted ALL cost. A easy way to keep up with it is to make a spreadsheet with Excel and keep up with all associated cost.

Get rid of the grain - cattle do not need it unless your hay is crap. 12% hay is plenty good enough.

In fact I have an acquaintance who is far more knowledgeable than me - he feeds nothing less than 8% at the start of winter and nothing less than 11% at the end - his animals are great.

Find a new fertilizer supplier. Use a different fertilizer. Get soils tested and apply ONLY what is needed. You would be surprized how this helped us. Like others we used to just throw it on and hope - no more.

Stop buying feeders - stop buying straw for bedding. Let the waste hay be their bedding.

Feed less often - we now feed once every two weeks. I simply put the bales out in different areas and keep them fenced out. Every time you start a piece of equipment it costs and it may also require repair - less wear and tear - less cost.

Bull up keep. Find one that needs less up keep. Period.

Stop buying bands and cut - cheaper.

Stop buying hay - grow your own. If you cannot then cut back on the animals.

Put timers on all your utilities that run 24 hours.

I told you how to reduce vet bills - be ruthless. Same with calves.

I could go on - but I have offered several valid ideas for you to chew on.

Regards

Bez!

BEZ, sounds like you run a tight ship. One most all of would do better to copy. I'm glad things are looking better up Ya'lls way.

It gets a little chilly in the winter here Caustic and I use a little more fertilizer and clover to get good enough hay to keep them warm. With fertilizer, fuel, seed, check off $, semen, registrations on the herfs, taxes on the farm, fence repairs, and feed for my petting calves for 3 months and anything else I didn't single out...the commercial and registered herds averaged $128 per head. That is replacements too.
Pretty high I know. But the profit from my petting calves helps the bottom line.
All the equipment is paid for. But it is old enough that repairs are figured into that number.

The cattle have to profit a little. At least pay the tax on the ground they call home.

Can I make a living doing it this way? Yep, if it was just me and hubby. But you factor the kids into the equation and I don't think I could provide for them like I ought to with just the farm.

But the profit from my petting calves helps the bottom line.

What exactly is a petting calf? kind of like a dog? What are you doing with them to make money?

Beef11":2m53fdjb said:
But the profit from my petting calves helps the bottom line.

What exactly is a petting calf? kind of like a dog? What are you doing with them to make money?

I'm just trying to humor Caustic. Don't take things so literal.

I run show calves, club calves. They sell for a little more than a stock yard feeder.

Beefy":3kuaon7r said:
Bez!, how much cheaper is it for you to grow hay than to buy it?

I can cut hay for 15 bucks an acre, bale it for 5 bucks a bale - plus fert and so on.

I figure I can put a round bale in the pile for about 17 bucks at present. Do not know about this year - we will see.

We have communal'd some equipment so purchase and maintenance costs are lower than what it might be for others.

To buy it costs me 25.

Bez!

Beefy":39acuj1k said:
ah. communal'd. i gotcha.

You gotta" understand - it is a fight for survival. Let's change places for a minute.

What would you do if cattle prices dropped as follows:

1. Cull cows went to 200 bucks - or less.
2. Calves - good ones went for 70 cents a pound - on a real good day
3. Cow calf pairs sold for less than 500 bucks
4. Bred cows were in the 350 buck range

We have been through this.

Do the math and see if you can make it - then drop the prices until you cannot make it.

You now know your limits.

Everyone loves high prices - but what happens if they go south? How well would you do considering how you operate today?

What would you change to make it work?

Why are you not doing this now?

With your present prices would this not optimize the potential profit?

Bez!

Caustic,

You didn't mention depreciation. Did you figure that into the $393? I've just started my tax prep for the year, but with depreciation I'm coming up north of $500/hd.

Latest posts