Alright Hobby Boys

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker":1w4u590l said:
C Holland Quote
"I am also working up a plan setup by Auburn Univ and there AG dept on cross fencing and cross rotational grazing."
Is there programs that pay for owners to cross fence?

P.S.
I built a huge College Housing project in Auburn years ago and loved the people there.

Yes, I am currently on the EQUIP program for a cost sharing of some cross fencing, land clearing and pasture planting and deep well and 2 automatic water stations for my cows. I have a 5 year plan proposed by the local ext agent that includes a pond for irrigation of my fields to make the cross rotational grazing work better.

Beef11 wrote:
Right now with interest rates high its not a significant amount but when you could put your money in a CD and get 10% on a Hundred thousand bucks thats 10k. Alot of people are hard pressed to make 10% on cattle.

Just curious, where are you getting 10% on a $100K CD? PM if necessary.

where it says "high" i meant "low". There have been times when you could get 10% CDs. I'm sorry for the mistake. If i find somebody paying 10% on a CD i will PM you.

Central Fl Cracker":342fo1sf said:
C Holland
Is that a federal program or Alabama program?

EQIP "Environmental Quality Incentives Program"

Check with your NRCS office.

Caustic Burno":3pdciikv said:
bigbull338":3pdciikv said:
well mr burno wants it down to brass tacks.i spend less than $100 a cow on everything.feed hay minerals.as well as fuel an repairs.now i have no idea what the reg cows will cost.when i start that.

bsflag.gif
Caustic, I didn't know you were gonna award a prize to the big winner. What's that B.S. stand for? Best Stockman, I guess?

Texan":37r6hkon said:
Caustic Burno":37r6hkon said:
bigbull338":37r6hkon said:
well mr burno wants it down to brass tacks.i spend less than $100 a cow on everything.feed hay minerals.as well as fuel an repairs.now i have no idea what the reg cows will cost.when i start that.

bsflag.gif
Caustic, I didn't know you were gonna award a prize to the big winner. What's that B.S. stand for? Best Stockman, I guess?
That's what I was thinkin too Texan. Ain't Caustic a great guy? :lol:

aplusmnt":jtdin378 said:
After looking at some of you guys figures and and doing some rough figuring, I can not see how a person could hardly ever buy land in most places and then make any money on cattle. And I live in area were land is pretty affordable, and cattle prices are probably about as high as anywhere else.

Well unless you can keep a cow for 100.00 then it would work.

It would be tough making a living on cows if you had to start from scratch and were "GIVEN" the pasture land.

MikeC":11abpcq9 said:
aplusmnt":11abpcq9 said:
After looking at some of you guys figures and and doing some rough figuring, I can not see how a person could hardly ever buy land in most places and then make any money on cattle. And I live in area were land is pretty affordable, and cattle prices are probably about as high as anywhere else.

Well unless you can keep a cow for 100.00 then it would work.

It would be tough making a living on cows if you had to start from scratch and were "GIVEN" the pasture land.

I believe that. When looking at some of the figures, I would say during those low market prices it would for sure take a smart operator to make a profit or even stay above water.

Dang I am late as usual right at four hundred dollars a cow this year. I am a small operator and really have to pinch the pennies to keep it at that.

I don't know what it costs to run a pair other places, but if you are not making money now you better bail...here anyway feed grain is cheap, calf prices are record highs... so is fuel but, look at the stuff considered "necessities" now and how the houses and 3 stall garages are filled up , the size of equipment and head of cattle (or acres farmed) compared to 20 years ago, you have the answer. We can't pay interest and live like royalty and expect to survive on the ranch. Back then a family could be raised on 60 to 80 head, with stacked hay and 1 decent running tractor that could handle a loader (25 to 50 HP) look at what we use now to feed these smaller herds...front wheel assist, blah blah blah. There is money in cattle, not easy money or big money but with a little work and keeping it simple you will make money and you do not have to be a rocket scientist to do it. Pay attention and work a little.... it is there to be hadnow more than ever. Oh yeah if it costs y

sorry ran outa room. costs more than 250 need to be looked at hard to see what ya can do different and also does raising beef allow you to live a better life than not. Todays beef cattle CAN be low maintence if ya let them and will make you money in the long run. WOW what a flurry of off the wall threads' most from the old grump known as caustic. Man if you were here and talked s33t like ya do ya wouldn't make it pardner. You might be the best cowboy in the county but you sir are an assh((e well chow

eatbeef":14muqndo said:
sorry ran outa room. costs more than 250 need to be looked at hard to see what ya can do different and also does raising beef allow you to live a better life than not. Todays beef cattle CAN be low maintence if ya let them and will make you money in the long run. WOW what a flurry of off the wall threads' most from the old grump known as caustic. Man if you were here and talked s33t like ya do ya wouldn't make it pardner. You might be the best cowboy in the county but you sir are an assh((e well chow

Careful, if you disagree with him he may accuse you of copying other peoples answers. If you weren't one of the first few to respond you must be a cheater. :roll: :roll: :roll:

aplusmnt":11t79qat said:
And then there is the Part time cattleman, (which is what I hope to be starting this or next year) that cares about profit, runs his operations as a side business, factors in all cost and profits and tries to run his operation just like it is a separate business. In some areas he could probably run a cow cheaper than a full timer, and some areas it would be more expensive.

Boy am I late to this party!

This is the catagory I fall into.

2005 to 2006 average cost per AU was $360.00 and change.

I will get back to "the books" and files perhaps next week. Trying to catch-up on the boards. Been recovering from surgery had on monday.

Katherine

Just a few comments over here from the peanut gallery. I have usually 20-25 cows and a few assorted steers and yearlings for replacements and meat. I guess its what you look at as costs. Are they legitimate costs? I know that what goes down on my income taxes is different than what I would consider to be legitimate. I am back and forth to town everyday with work anyway so even though I write off 25% of my gas to the farm, that probably isn't a 'legitimate' cost because when I'm picking up supplies, I'm usually in town anyway. I write off my cell phone and my phone for tax purposes, but really, I'd need those anyway, farming or not. 25% of my hydro gets written off but does 25% get used up by the fencer or the water pumps. I doubt it. I have a tractor for chores that cost me $3500. It kind of a P.O.S. but for a good tractor, my annual payments would probably be higher than that. Trying to justify owning land and equipment to do my own baling doesn't pencil out especially when you consider that I would probably need to schedule time off work to go bale it. I pay about $35 a bale delivered and unloaded in the yard (the guy uses my tractor). Right now, I'm feeding one bale of hay and one bale of straw with alot of chaff in it for every three days ($.66 per day per cow). That's a legitimate expense. So is deisel and repairs on the tractor. Is my time a legitimate expense? I only really consider that to be a legitimate expense if there's something else I should be doing instead and there are days when you should be charging for your time but usually I do it because I like working with cows. There is also a benefit to being able to come home after a stressful day and take a walk through the cow herd. There's probably quite a savings right there on therapy bills. Not something you can really figure in in concrete numbers. As far as taxes go, I would be paying the same on a two acre lot on the outskirts of the city, so I question if that is legitimate, not to mention that I don't like people enough to want to have them living that close to me. (Another unpriced benefit). The land didn't cost me much more than a city lot either so I don't know if you can tie that directly back as a cost either. As far as the whole hobby idea, I put in my time throwing bales and hauling chop as a boy. Chopping holes in the ice, which I don't imagine is a chore you guys spend much time doing down south but its time consuming for a young lad up here. Anyway, that's my two cents. Until you can actually break out legitimate expenses for a hobby farmer, its pretty tough to say what you are making. JMHO.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1cl5fl8u said:
Just a few comments over here from the peanut gallery. I have usually 20-25 cows and a few assorted steers and yearlings for replacements and meat. I guess its what you look at as costs. Are they legitimate costs? I know that what goes down on my income taxes is different than what I would consider to be legitimate. I am back and forth to town everyday with work anyway so even though I write off 25% of my gas to the farm, that probably isn't a 'legitimate' cost because when I'm picking up supplies, I'm usually in town anyway. I write off my cell phone and my phone for tax purposes, but really, I'd need those anyway, farming or not. 25% of my hydro gets written off but does 25% get used up by the fencer or the water pumps. I doubt it. I have a tractor for chores that cost me $3500. It kind of a P.O.S. but for a good tractor, my annual payments would probably be higher than that. Trying to justify owning land and equipment to do my own baling doesn't pencil out especially when you consider that I would probably need to schedule time off work to go bale it. I pay about $35 a bale delivered and unloaded in the yard (the guy uses my tractor). Right now, I'm feeding one bale of hay and one bale of straw with alot of chaff in it for every three days ($.66 per day per cow). That's a legitimate expense. So is deisel and repairs on the tractor. Is my time a legitimate expense? I only really consider that to be a legitimate expense if there's something else I should be doing instead and there are days when you should be charging for your time but usually I do it because I like working with cows. There is also a benefit to being able to come home after a stressful day and take a walk through the cow herd. There's probably quite a savings right there on therapy bills. Not something you can really figure in in concrete numbers. As far as taxes go, I would be paying the same on a two acre lot on the outskirts of the city, so I question if that is legitimate, not to mention that I don't like people enough to want to have them living that close to me. (Another unpriced benefit). The land didn't cost me much more than a city lot either so I don't know if you can tie that directly back as a cost either. As far as the whole hobby idea, I put in my time throwing bales and hauling chop as a boy. Chopping holes in the ice, which I don't imagine is a chore you guys spend much time doing down south but its time consuming for a young lad up here. Anyway, that's my two cents. Until you can actually break out legitimate expenses for a hobby farmer, its pretty tough to say what you are making. JMHO.

Good post! One thing I am trying to figure out is how a person should assign their land as cost on a cow. Been pondering this a bit and best I can say in my situation is I will own what I do now no matter if a cow sets foot on the place. So I am thinking I will not factor in my Home and current Land prices into the equation. Just factor in an improvements I have to make to keep the cows. And if I buy or lease any land with the specific purpose of cows in future then they would have to pay for this addition.

I think in any business your IRS books and deductions will never be the real figures of profit. If you are a smart business person and use all the tax advantages you can, your official IRS figures should show you making a lot less than you really do. Got to keep as much of your hard earned money as you can or it will just go into the welfare funds.

Do you guys not include cow depreciation in your annual cow cost? For example buy for $900, sell for $500(.50 X 1000) after eight years(average productive life) thats a $50 per head cost per year, excluding any death loss which would raise that amount significantly.

Nathan, My accountant does that for me, it was new to me. I never thought you depreciated cows. I thought you took them off at the price you paid for them and reported income from any sale of them or their calves.