Alright Hobby Boys

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3gsja57v said:
I have it down to a knats ass as well as Bama. Bama you don't post till latter on they will just copy like in school.

I feel we this US against THEM going again do not get it !!!

dane12":1fzjhmst said:
Caustic Burno":1fzjhmst said:
I have it down to a knats ass as well as Bama. Bama you don't post till latter on they will just copy like in school.

I feel we this US against THEM going again do not get it !!!

No its not if you don't know thats OK you have pets thats OK also.

Caustic,
your right, I even know where its at!! I am reluctant to make the cut in the area I'm over spending for fear of loosing some of my income.

I do not think we ever definded ranching versus hobby in another post or did we?

Three T":1s9o0vys said:
Caustic,
your right, I even know where its at!! I am reluctant to make the cut in the area I'm over spending for fear of loosing some of my income.

Mine was 392.00 a cow this year fuel and Rita skewed it up 25-30 bucks a head.

Caustic Burno":3uqbwj21 said:
Three T":3uqbwj21 said:
Caustic,

does that include your costs for the calf sold too?

Caustic Burno":2gcd6xpg said:
Lets be honest what do you figure it cost to upkeep a cow a year. Lets find out who is ranching and who is doing it as a hobby.

Registered cows - $1.20 per day

Commercial cows - $1.00 per day

Catfish - $.00225 per day

Aero":38u9ltc2 said:
Caustic Burno":38u9ltc2 said:
Three T":38u9ltc2 said:
Caustic,

does that include your costs for the calf sold too?

No it is feed, fuel, fencing, meds, taxes, total cost to keep that cow for a year.etc.

Dang Mike C them Palletheads are expensive. ;-)

Let see, I have 3 horses, 2 goats and 4 cows and it costs me about $185 a year each to feed hay(4 months) and grain, worm and vaccinate everyone. This doesn't include fencing and repair, seeding and fert. tractor maint or anything like that. It's just feed, vaccines and worming.

As most know we have been reduced to hobby status - so here ya' go.

Last year it was a bit higher - this year - and I am doing the figure for the year end - it looks like about:

$372.30 per cow.

I am working on reducing this by another 15 - 20 bucks per head this year. It will depend on fuel and fertilizer - but we will see.

I am really looking forward to the day the calves cover the cost again.

Bez!

dane12":cqf34hzq said:
I do not think we ever definded ranching versus hobby in another post or did we?

If you are not calculating every penny it takes to maintain that cow for one year then you don't know you are making or loosing money or don't care. If you are not operating like a business then you have an expensive hobby.

Caustic Burno":380g39zl said:
No it is feed, fuel, fencing, meds, taxes, total cost to keep that cow for a year.etc.

i assume you are pretty much a commercial operation. i am not saying that amount is bad or good, just trying to see where this takes us.

if your cow cost is $392/hd and you have a 95% conception rate and let's imagine that a calf costs nothing. i realize how impractical this is, but just ride it out.

that makes your cost to produce a calf: $392 / .95 = $412.63/calf.

selling at the 400 lbs i think i recall you saying you sell at gross would be $600 / calf @ $150/cwt.

so at best, profit per calf would be $600 - $412.63 - calf cost.

estimate calf cost @ $10/calf in vaccinations etc. so $177/calf profit?

sounds like good results to me and still above average for an upcycle year. what did i miss?

Aero":3t1by4kg said:
Caustic Burno":3t1by4kg said:

i assume you are pretty much a commercial operation. i am not saying that amount is bad or good, just trying to see where this takes us.

if your cow cost is $392/hd and you have a 95% conception rate and let's imagine that a calf costs nothing. i realize how impractical this is, but just ride it out.

that makes your cost to produce a calf: $392 / .95 = $412.63/calf.

selling at the 400 lbs i think i recall you saying you sell at gross would be $600 / calf @ $150/cwt.

so at best, profit per calf would be $600 - $412.63 - calf cost.

estimate calf cost @ $10/calf in vaccinations etc. so $177/calf profit?

sounds like good results to me and still above average for an upcycle year. what did i miss?

Your on the ball Rita set me back had to buy a bunch of fencing due to the storm this year, that in normal years would not be purchased. I am usually in the Bez range but fertilize is going to send it higher this year so 390.00 might be my new average.

Bez!":2a0yy97d said:
I am working on reducing this by another 15 - 20 bucks per head this year. It will depend on fuel and fertilizer - but we will see.

how are you fertilizing now? we just got a manure spreader that should pay for itself in 2 yrs considering fertilizer costs.

My expenses were drastically worse. I started haying in July this year because of the drought. This drought was the worse on record - EVER - for this county. Thank goodness I culled when I did. Still spent too many nickels on the few I kept but the cows look good, better than most around me.

I sold a little hay in June. Won't do that again. Anyway, no profit for hay to offset expenses, fall oat and wheat seed went to waste, most of the fertilizer went to waste. Had to irrigate the lower field to get a little hay, that wasn't enough.

Now I am concerned about my bull since he got his reproduction stepped on by something. It doesn't look to be terrible, but its chancy to stick with him.

This coming year shouldn't be much better since I am putting in a great deal of irrigation, planting Cheyene, fertilizing, and replacing some fence. Pro-rating it makes it look better.

Not as many head to feed this year tho.

It was a hard year on this Hobby Boy.