Alright Hobby Boys

Help Support CattleToday:

Walter":23i8p146 said:
cost - If owning land in america is important - and I agree totally - and land usually appreciated - do you credit the bovine for maintaining the land. Weed control. reduced taxes - free fertilizer. tools for educating offspring. :D

Bovines don't maintain anything destructive beast, I would get the same ag break growing timber.

Caustic Burno":38ob1rzt said:
aplusmnt":38ob1rzt said:
This is a great thread! I will be the first to say I have no idea really what it cost for my few head. We started it as just keeping show heifers, and that is way to expensive to ever figure what it cost for fear it would make you cry. Any money earned either goes to buy more show animals or kids college funds. Cost come out of cleaning toilets. :D

But It is interesting reading the post, because I plan on moving more into the commercial area, keeping say 10 head to breed for show calves until my kids are done with showing. And the rest commercial.

Wondering how you factor in say fence cost on a given year? Say you put up $5,000.00 in fencing a given year. Do you divide that amount amongst each cow that year? Or do you depriciate the fencing out over say 5 year only deducting $1,000 amongst the cows for each of those 5 years?

The feed, hay, vet bills, gas all those cost are easy to see how to figure into a cows profit. But not sure how a person figures in the Barn, Equipment, Fences and things like this on profit and loss sheets.

Yes if fencing cost 5000 bucks depreciated over 5 years thats a 1000 bucks against your cows 10 cows = 100 dollars a year cost. Same with barns, trailers, etc. you are a business man it is the same with the cows.

Figured this was how you guys did it, was not sure if you used a short depreciation such as five years or say one that was longer like 10-15 years.

Were a fence would have a longer life than the 5 years vs say my buffers and vehicles that might have more of a 5 year shelf life.

Aint' it a slap of reality.Boys flaunting those big checks from the stock yards. I'll guarantee half of them have pens that ran outta ink on the first page.I have mine figured at about 300.00 per head.

Planning to build a new barn this year. $6000 in material costs alone. That don't include the jump my taxes will take or labor.
I better have a durn good calf crop!! :roll:

aplusmnt":1s0tqgzq said:
Caustic Burno":1s0tqgzq said:
aplusmnt":1s0tqgzq said:
This is a great thread! I will be the first to say I have no idea really what it cost for my few head. We started it as just keeping show heifers, and that is way to expensive to ever figure what it cost for fear it would make you cry. Any money earned either goes to buy more show animals or kids college funds. Cost come out of cleaning toilets. :D

But It is interesting reading the post, because I plan on moving more into the commercial area, keeping say 10 head to breed for show calves until my kids are done with showing. And the rest commercial.

Wondering how you factor in say fence cost on a given year? Say you put up $5,000.00 in fencing a given year. Do you divide that amount amongst each cow that year? Or do you depriciate the fencing out over say 5 year only deducting $1,000 amongst the cows for each of those 5 years?

The feed, hay, vet bills, gas all those cost are easy to see how to figure into a cows profit. But not sure how a person figures in the Barn, Equipment, Fences and things like this on profit and loss sheets.

Yes if fencing cost 5000 bucks depreciated over 5 years thats a 1000 bucks against your cows 10 cows = 100 dollars a year cost. Same with barns, trailers, etc. you are a business man it is the same with the cows.

Figured this was how you guys did it, was not sure if you used a short depreciation such as five years or say one that was longer like 10-15 years.

Were a fence would have a longer life than the 5 years vs say my buffers and vehicles that might have more of a 5 year shelf life.

You are right again and you can depreciate over a longer time period I always did five years because there is always that next cost and the final cost of the funeral it never stops. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would have to pay 50 bucks a roll for barb wire like this year and would never imagined having to refence as much as I did. I went through 8 rolls since Sat. and I still dont have the fence in Caustic Shape.

Caustic Burno":2mjc3i9l said:
aplusmnt":2mjc3i9l said:
Caustic Burno":2mjc3i9l said:
aplusmnt":2mjc3i9l said:

You are right again and you can depreciate over a longer time period I always did five years because there is always that next cost and the final cost of the funeral it never stops. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would have to pay 50 bucks a roll for barb wire like this year and would never imagined having to refence as much as I did. I went through 8 rolls since Sat. and I still dont have the fence in Caustic Shape.

Never been right twice in one day and for sure not on this board. I will have to go to bed now and ponder the increase in my self worth :D

Crowderfarms":39ec39vn said:
Get some rest Aplus. The way you and CB are gettin along is really startin' to scare me. :lol:

Yea I figured I better shape up or ship out like T&S, Plb and Marlin Knight and others before us. Also if you notice I been laying off the TN Jokes, don't want to get ran out of Dodge before I learn this profession :D

aplusmnt":3lp4568a said:
Crowderfarms":3lp4568a said:
Get some rest Aplus. The way you and CB are gettin along is really startin' to scare me. :lol:

Yea I figured I better shape up or ship out like T&S, Plb and Marlin Knight and others before us. Also if you notice I been laying off the TN Jokes, don't want to get ran out of Dodge before I learn this profession :D

Now you went and did it aplus, they'll be crawlin all over this thread because you called their names. We had a good peaceful conversation goin on, and now all he## will break loose! :roll:

warpaint":18gqc3zv said:
aplusmnt":18gqc3zv said:
Crowderfarms":18gqc3zv said:

Now you went and did it aplus, they'll be crawlin all over this thread because you called their names. We had a good peaceful conversation goin on, and now all he## will break loose! :roll:

Warpaint not to worry I have been to a rat killin, barn burnin. goat ropin, and 3 county fairs, can't scare me the boy can only ask one question while cattlemen keep discussing the business.

Warpaint with metal prices where the are today I would be scared to build a barn. I built a 30x30 six years ago labor and wiring for 6000 bucks that wouldn't even cover material cost today.

warpaint":1999nw6v said:

T & S had better not go calling me names again.

backhoeboogie":wckmbtfv said:
warpaint":wckmbtfv said:

T & S had better not go calling me names again.

Excellent thread! I have not had time to do my own taxes yet for last year, but gradually working on it....I hope this thread stays alive so I can come back and check how I did. I know just from cash flow we had a better than average year, but off the top of my head one reason is we didn't have to reseed any alfalfa fields in last year, and none this year :D .

I will jump in with my 2 cents. It seems to me that the only way you can truly make it on the farm these days is to already have been in the business for several years and own your land,and equipment, or to have inherited the land and equipment, to be able to keep your head above water. Lets face it, farming is a luxuory and it is tough to get established.The small farm is just about gone by the wayside. Farmers like Bez, Caustic, Dun, and others are few and far between, and are what gives us the courage to keep plugging away trying to get to the point where the farm is self-sufficient. I have been "losing money" on the farm for the past few years trying to get established, but am able to use it as a tax break to keep a little more of my own money while getting things set up. I have been able to sell a few bulls along to help defray the cost of building my herd, but I am a long way from making a profit on my animals.I do not consider myself a "hobby farmer", because I do have set goals in mind, and intend to use the farm to supplement my retirement,and feed myself and my family. I have my land paid for, but I need more land for pasture and a hay meadow, it is not easy to come by. I have two tractors,one is paid for,the other is not,they are expensive as you all know,but are necessary to operate my farm.At present, it is cheaper for me to buy hay than it would be to buy the land and equipment to cut my own,although I realize that for several reasons I would be better off to have the equipment and land.

I raise good stock, probably not the best as genetics go, but I don't sell them for $100,000 apiece either. I hope to fill a niche by helping the commercial cattleman improve his herd with good Murray Grey Bulls and heifers.By and large, as most of you realize, the majority of cattlemen run less than 30 head, and try to make a profit by selling at the salebarn, and run mixed breed cattle,usually british and continental crosses,and have to work them by themselves.Not everybody has the benefit of family to help do the work around the farm, and more often than not, work an off-farm job to keep things going.
I am convinced that putting good english bulls (Murray Grey)on continental cows will result in BETTER cattle(hybrid vigour),that will do well at the salebarn and the dinner table.
The main problem with Murray Grey cattle is that they are relatively unknown as a breed,we do not have the marketing budget of the angus association (that benefits all angus breeders) as an example.But, in spite of this,mostly through word of mouth we are expanding.There are few cattle breeds that are as well dispersed or do as well as the Murray Grey,you do not see brahman in the north for example.Murray Greys do well in all climates and are found from Canada to South America, and now even in Africa.Thier docility is a true asset,especially for the small farmer/rancher that have to do most of the work themselves.Think about it, the Murray Grey is a composite of the most popular breed (angus) and one of the oldest breeds(shorthorn),and I feel that the combination is better than either of the parent breeds.When I decided to go into the cattle business,I knew that it would be a long haul.I researched several breeds before settling on this one,and I chose it because I felt it would better fit my operation and that the best chance for me to turn a profit (with just a few cattle)would be to raise seedstock.The docility of the breed enables me to work them by myself with less chance of a bull or cow blowing snot in my back pocket while trying to work them.I have a standard vaccination program and have been fortunate that I have not had any sick cows,and have had no calving problems.First time heifers are able to have calves unassisted and do so consistently,cows breed back on time becuase they are in good condition.I do not try to "starve" a profit out of them.Hopefully, by the time I retire from my "other job", I will be able to devote full time to my enterprize, have things paid down, and be able to realize a profit from what I truly love.....cattle. And I will continue to look to the cattlemen on this board for guidance and advice. By the way, I have taken the plunge and am setting up a website here on cattletoday to help spread the word about this wonderful breed and my small but growing herd, so watch for it! ;-) :D :cboy:

Sorry for the long post, I will get down of my soapbox now.

Caustic Burno":14se9fjc said:
Warpaint with metal prices where the are today I would be scared to build a barn. I built a 30x30 six years ago labor and wiring for 6000 bucks that wouldn't even cover material cost today.

Just built a new 42X60 pole barn about 6 months ago. All in cost was just shy of $15K.

Excellent post Mike one of the best I have read. I have confidence you will reach your goals. you just have to get like bark on a tree with money and go slow.

bullred":i29ld7m5 said:
Caustic Burno":i29ld7m5 said:

Just built a new 42X60 pole barn about 6 months ago. All in cost was just shy of $15K.

Dang Red I would need a bandaide from where I fell and hit my head. Old Massey is a 70 model scared to even thinking about replacing it, think I will go wash it and change the oil instead.

well mr burno wants it down to brass tacks.i spend less than $100 a cow on everything.feed hay minerals.as well as fuel an repairs.now i have no idea what the reg cows will cost.when i start that.

Come on boys and girls get out of the coffee shop lets find out who is running a Cow/calf operation and who is spouting garbage richer than thee feet up a bulls ass

Latest posts