AI protocol for Bos Indicus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Rocking W Cattle

Reaction score
It has been 3 or 4 years since I last used AI, I am interested in giving it another go this year. I notice that in some of the new AI literature there is a new protocol for Bos Indicus cattle, this protocol is just on the sheet that talks about cows, there isn't one on the sheet for heifers. Is there a different protocol for heifers? Has anyone used this protocol. Of the cows I plan on servicing this year about half of them range from 1/2 to full beefmaster. Is there a protocol that I can use for all the cattle? Thanks for any input!

I have been wondering if anyone used the protocol for the Bos Inicus as well and if they thought it was worth the extra effort.

Where can I find this protocol that you are referring to?
I know that with my Brangus, they are more sensitive to FSH and they seem to stand longer. But that's all I know. I would be interested in seeing what you are talking about.

midtncattle":1cf7escr said:
http://www.absglobal.com/Websites/absglobal/images/ABS%20Global%20Home/USA/Beef/Beef%20Information/2014_Beef_Cow_Protocols.pdf
Thank you. That is interesting. I will ask my embryologist about it.

I emailed ABS this question and they must have forwarded it onto someone else, here is his response. What do you think of his answer? Agree disagree?

I just received an email through ABS customer service regarding the use of synchronization protocols in Bos indicus females. Here are my comments to your questions.

I would definitely consider the PG-5-day CO-Synch+CIDR system for anything that is Brahman influence. The Beefmasters that you have would respond best to this system (both cows and heifers). This system will work on Angus cross cattle, but it is not necessary because the other systems tend to to be less expensive. However, if you plan to synchronize all the cattle at once then using this system on all of them would be fine. I have attached the recommended protocols for beef cows and heifers. You may already have this, but thought I would send in anyway.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Cliff

G. Cliff Lamb
Assistant Director and Professor
North Florida Research and Education Center
University of Florida
3925 Highway 71
Marianna, FL 32446

Select Sires has a different protocol for bos indicus heifers, we use it and have had good luck so far. It requires one more trip through the shoot for another shot of PG. I can get you that info if you still need it.

I know nothing about protocols for eared cattle. My vet has eared cattle, told me Saturday he used the protocol recomended for them, was very disappointed, said to many times through the chute for PG for no better results. Said he will use 7 day co sync this year, can't do any worse.

Latest posts