AI for the rich and famous!!

Help Support CattleToday:

dac1":2fhveqf3 said:
you know from all of the post on here i understand the ai school of thought but we always use a bull to breed our cows maybe old school but it seems like on here if you can't tell people on this board what kind of pure bred cows you are breeding this or that you are behind time so you can't say anything on these boards i think thats why so many folks don't have comments on here thats why i dont ask many questions on the boards .

I have now read every post that Milkmaid, Msscamp, Caustic, and Dun have ever made in these forums. What else is there to ask that hasn't already been asked by someone?

S.R.R.":2oacuhtr said:
Now I understand! dun you do not know what you are missing!! Bulls are a big part of the whole cow/calf operation and I can see now how you have missed out on one of the enjoyable parts of ranching.
I've heard it all now. There's not a bigger pain in the ass that comes with a cow-calf operation than having to put up with bulls. I'd say that anybody that thinks running bulls is enjoyable just hasn't had enough of them yet.

Texan":s8ynlitv said:
S.R.R.":s8ynlitv said:
Now I understand! dun you do not know what you are missing!! Bulls are a big part of the whole cow/calf operation and I can see now how you have missed out on one of the enjoyable parts of ranching.
I've heard it all now. There's not a bigger pain in the ass that comes with a cow-calf operation than having to put up with bulls. I'd say that anybody that thinks running bulls is enjoyable just hasn't had enough of them yet.

:roll: :roll: Give me a break texan. Bulls have always been a part of the cow/calf operation and you of all people should know that!! What is with this anti bull sediment?? Bulls are and always will be a vital part of most ranchers lives. Give me a break texan. You and I both know that when bull buying time rolls around yes there is some stress r/t price ect. but for the most part when you are driving home with the bulls you have just bought, your anticipation for next years calves is enjoyable and a good part of the ranching experience.

S.R.R.":esc33hsd said:
:roll: :roll: Give me a break texan. Bulls have always been a part of the cow/calf operation and you of all people should know that!! What is with this anti bull sediment?? Bulls are and always will be a vital part of most ranchers lives. Give me a break texan. You and I both know that when bull buying time rolls around yes there is some stress r/t price ect. but for the most part when you are driving home with the bulls you have just bought, your anticipation for next years calves is enjoyable and a good part of the ranching experience.
Okay, I'll give you a break. Bulls are a pain in the ass and I'm sure I'm the only one that feels that way.

You're sure right about the anticipation for the next years calves, though. But I bet the guys that AI share that anticipation with us, don't you think?

Bulls are a pain in the ass and I'm sure I'm the only one that feels that way.

No you're not. I can't say I like broken legs, fighting, tearing up fences, holes in the ground, and "Unsatisfactory" BSE exams at all.

Plus, the bulls in my tank don't eat much. ;-)

Would it be fair to say that people who disagree with AI are TOTALLYagainst embryo work and cloning? :shock:

MikeC":8wrkkvnp said:
Would it be fair to say that people who disagree with AI are TOTALLYagainst embryo work and cloning? :shock:
I think it would be fair if everybody who is against AI makes sure that they never buy a bull that's a product of an artificial breeding. Or anything AI in his pedigree. That sounds fair to me. Stand on that no AI principle. :lol:

I know bulls are a pain in the but enough that I just agreed to let a friend/neighbor use mine for his fall calving cows. He asked what I would charge my reply was nothing just take good care of him and get him out of my hair for a few months.

Since we only are breeding for spring calving I would rather loan him out than deal with him every time I have to catch the cows, or go in the field.

The reason he is interested in him is because he wants a bull to clean up his A.I. work, so there you have the two systems working together to complement each other.

Texan":1try20lu said:
MikeC":1try20lu said:
I think it would be fair if everybody who is against AI makes sure that they never buy a bull that's a product of an artificial breeding. Or anything AI in his pedigree. That sounds fair to me. Stand on that no AI principle. :lol:

Go for it guys ruin the athentic cattle ranch as we know it to day!! ( fat chance) I have know use for your type of change. AI is a tool for improvment not a replacement for good bulls.

Bulls are and have always been a part of a ranchers life a part that I may hate at times but would not want to lose or give up!!!!

S.R.R.":35idttoi said:
Texan":35idttoi said:
MikeC":35idttoi said:

Go for it guys ruin the athentic cattle ranch as we know it to day!! ( fat chance) I have know use for your type of change. AI is a tool for improvment not a replacement for good bulls.

Bulls are and have always been a part of a ranchers life a part that I may hate at times but would not want to lose or give up!!!!

We're not asking you to give up ANYTHING except the bias you have towards modern cattle ranching. Nothing stays the same.

As a seller of bulls I would hate to see every one go totally AI, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. No chance.

Don't get so bent out of shape, we're just saying that the ones who choose to AI have the right to do so without ridicule.

They ain't gonna pee on your party. They might get more for their calves, but what do you care? You're here to preserve history. :lol:

S.R.R.":1i7y3lor said:
Texan":1i7y3lor said:
MikeC":1i7y3lor said:

If I'm understanding you correctly, unless I have a bull I don't have a 'real' ranch? Sorry, I don't buy it. AI can be a tool for improvement of one's genetics, or it can be a replacement for the bull. The bottom line is this - the most basic goal of a cow/calf operator is to get the cows bred, and that can be achieved by either route, there are just a lot more options available with AI. ;-)

To bad i've been out of town i missed this thread, I did just read it front to back though. I being a proponent of forwarding genetics am of course a fan of AI and ET, it seems not everyone shares my enthusiasm. For starters about the big commercial ranches not using AI, I know True Ranches in Wyoming AI's over 1000 annually they are in the top 10 as far as size goes if i'm not mistaken. I know the biggest cow calf Operation in the US (florida) Uses AI to some degree. Both of these ranches are commercial. I know of several little ranches (200-400 cows) that use AI as well. That being said I really enjoy seeing the bull out with the cows and believe he has a place in modern ranching. There are many many options as far as breeding programs go. You eastern folks with cattle that come at a whistle probably have more options than the rest of us when it comes to AI. Some ranches have a hard time gathering cattle as many times as it requires to implement a synchro and AI protocol, they have to improvise or do without i see it as a marked disadvantage for the operation. AI can lower breeding costs, improve genetics, Put more pounds of calf across the scale, make the grass hold out longer and let a rancher look at a better bull in the pasture. Explore your options. More profit is a good thing.

S.R.R.":21lxfo8u said:
Now I understand! dun you do not know what you are missing!! Bulls are a big part of the whole cow/calf operation and I can see now how you have missed out on one of the enjoyable parts of ranching. Glad to hear you have bought a bull this year how about a pic??

I posted a picture of him in Jne when we got him. How about you posting some pictures of your "traditional" longhorns. Since you're so big into tradition I'm sure that would be the only breed you would have.

dun

I posted a picture of him in Jne when we got him. How about you posting some pictures of your "traditional" longhorns. Since you're so big into tradition I'm sure that would be the only breed you would have.

dun

Mr. Dun, if tradition was to be truly honored wouldn't buffalo be the choice of the most hard core traditionalists? I mean they did occupy the plains for hundreds and hundreds of years before the Longhorn took the stage. When the british breeds were introduced some ranchers said that they were incapable of living in the harsh enviroment of the plains and would never have a real place in the industry. I think they even made a movie about it.

Interesting post. Keeping my coffee beside the computer to keep it warm :lol:

I find it interesting that many people will judge a bull or a cow by what papers it has. Odds are, if you post a picture of a non AI'd or non papered bull on this board you will be torn to shreds with criticism of the animal.

What matters to me - in my operation - is the performance on grass. I have paid big bucks for some big name animals only to have their calves bring up the tail end of my ADG.

If you can make money in this business is all that matters - I don't think there is any right or wrong way to breed an animal.JMO To each his own. ;-)

S.R.R.":v4kfpl3x said:
Texan":v4kfpl3x said:
MikeC":v4kfpl3x said:

Most rancher that AI run clean up bulls . Very few places are 100% AI . If they are 100% AI ,they are going to be small .

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why i read this whole thing. I have two bulls and have never AI'd a single cow, but I think that I would sound very stupid if I said that bulls that I buy are the only way to go. In my opinion, AI has done more to improve the beef cattle business in this country than any other single thing.

I only read the first page or so of this thread, so forgive any repeat statements or items cleared up.

I don't understand the threat us "hobby guys" pose to you big outfits and I think only a fool would not consider an AI program. For a couple of hundred $ you can bring some great bulls to your place and not pay to feed them. Is there a better way to increase your cattles genitic pool?

JMO
Alan

MikeC":ovkzl6x9 said:
We're not asking you to give up ANYTHING except the bias you have towards modern cattle ranching. Nothing stays the same.
HECK, I aint even asking him to give that bias up. If he wants to ranch like they did 50-60 yrs. ago that's his business. Him staying behind the times won't make me any more or less money. He can even PM applesmut and get a couple of mules to replace a tractor. :lol: :lol:

im sure that the big ranches bull's are supplied by folks who AI, embryo tranfer and the works, its thoses breeders and their top notch genetics that keep the big ranches alive. i like the cowboy way myself but if you don't stay on top of the game your out.

Latest posts