AI for the rich and famous!!

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I am really getting tired of all this AI talk!! It is for the most part a load of BS for the cattleman that does his cow/calf operation on a large scale and or for the purpose of making a living of his or her cattle!! My next post is a poll to see how many of us on this board are "STILL" in the cattle business or just on here to brag about the next best bull that we are buying a few straws of sperm off of!! It is sad to see that there are so many hobby and welfare ranchers on this board these days that we seem to have forgot that a good bull can still get the job done!!!

S.R.R. you hit the nail on the head there is no room on here for anybody that has what i call heinz 57 cows you have to be breeding pure bred cows and ia all of them does every body on here know when they go to purchase cows from a neghbor or sale barn etc .do they know their history ?

A bull can still do a good job BUT, AI can turn even just a small operation into a more profitable one, there is a great market for genetics as well as show steers and heifers that bring out of sight prices. If available and time allows a person to do so then, AI is a wonderful OPTION not a necessity. I don't have time to go to the schools, etc. at this time and there isn't anyone around here that is reliable so we don't do it but, we would if the oppurtunity allowed us to.

Sure looks like this semi retired, full time, small operation cow farmer needs to give the operation a serious looking at.
We AI'd this year and were able to put some high dollar genetics into the herd that we otherwise couldn't afford if we bought a bull.
We were able to put the right semen into the cow where we wanted the characteristics of the bull...and don't have to mess with another welfare animal on the farm.
We raise meat, we cross breed and pure blood breed and only have one registered animal on the place. Our goal is to produce the best product that we can for our customer...if we don't then our competition will.
Please accept my apology for having other than a pure blood herd but I really don't think that we are in a position to hurt your business.
And that's my two bits worth.....DMc

Susie David":1swuaujt said:
Sure looks like this semi retired, full time, small operation cow farmer needs to give the operation a serious looking at.

Why?

I ma not rich and probly never be famous but will still AI this spring. I do have a good bull to show me just how bad of an AI'er I am.

Scotty":15r297f1 said:
I ma not rich and probly never be famous but will still AI this spring. I do have a good bull to show me just how bad of an AI'er I am.

How many?

Just sixteen. enough to keep the production pasture stocked and give me something to do.
We're a small operation and still need to buy steers every quarter. We usually slaughter around twenty four head a year but it looks like we'll need a few more next year.
Wanted to slow down but in our county the noxious weed control board gives out citations to the folks that don't keep their pastures maintained. Our neighbors who are mostly widows keep asking me to fix their fences and put my cows in their pasture. DId this a few years back and now it seems like we're adding a new place every year. Sure cuts the feed bill a bit. Bad thing is that we have a limited grazing season if there is no irrigation, loose pasture in July, sometimes later, this year earlier and only have one that is sub-irigated and it goes until August.
We give them some beef and they don't have to pay to keep the fields mowed. Win, win.
Sorry I tend to ramble on...anyway we butchered our last bull a year ago January and unless someone gives me a deal that I can't pass up we'll be doing AI from now until we retire.
DMc

Susie David":2f403zpk said:
Just sixteen. enough to keep the production pasture stocked and give me something to do.
We're a small operation and still need to buy steers every quarter.

The post wasn't aimed at your type of operation. He stated large cow calf operations.

I am neither a hobby farmer or welfare rancher, and I vehemently disagree with some of the above posts. My family has been farming on this continent since about 1750 and we are still going strong breeding purebred bulls to commercial cows. We use AI to breed about a hundred cows a year. Call them heinz 57 and look down your purebred nose at me, but we are alive and well. Boone

boone":20lsnj9z said:
Call them heinz 57 and look down your purebred nose at me, but we are alive and well. Boone

I think they had already had to much to drink. I couldn't understand their post.

S.R.R.":2k3xmflm said:
I am really getting tired of all this AI talk!! It is for the most part a load of BS for the cattleman that does his cow/calf operation on a large scale and or for the purpose of making a living of his or her cattle!! My next post is a poll to see how many of us on this board are "STILL" in the cattle business or just on here to brag about the next best bull that we are buying a few straws of sperm off of!! It is sad to see that there are so many hobby and welfare ranchers on this board these days that we seem to have forgot that a good bull can still get the job done!!!

I usuallly take your posts seriously, S.R.R., but this one is a bunch of CRAP!! You don't want to use AI, fine, but to demean those that do in this way is way out of line in my book. There's room in the business for both. I would venture to say that there are more than a few that are "STILL" in the cattle business that use AI a helluva lot. Most seedstock producers, where most good bulls come from comes to mind.

we ai because you can match the bull up to the cow for the best combination wouldnt go any other way unless for dairy they ask for a stud mother to be flushed and bull calves kept. any we ai are all to bulls who are 20 dollars a shot and you make money when you send those calves to the market. it insures quality

glover36":2j90vlta said:
we ai because you can match the bull up to the cow for the best combination wouldnt go any other way unless for dairy they ask for a stud mother to be flushed and bull calves kept. any we ai are all to bulls who are 20 dollars a shot and you make money when you send those calves to the market. it insures quality

How many?

I am going to AI 20 head this Spring. I also now have three cows that I am to flush. Depending on how many embrios I get will determine how many times I will flush them. My embrios are going into recip cows that I do not own. They raise and guarentee me a live calve at wean(agerage of 205 days).

Latest posts