AI for the rich and famous!!

Help Support CattleToday:

dac1":c5uwa3vk said:
S.R.R. you hit the nail on the head there is no room on here for anybody that has what i call heinz 57 cows you have to be breeding pure bred cows and ia all of them does every body on here know when they go to purchase cows from a neghbor or sale barn etc .do they know their history ?
I'm sorry I must have missed the rule that said you have to be breeding pure bred cows. I didn't realize you were in charge here. I suppose I should go look for a board that allows cross breeds. :roll:

WORANCH":2uu5hewc said:
S.R.R.":2uu5hewc said:
Texan":2uu5hewc said:
MikeC":2uu5hewc said:
Would it be fair to say that people who disagree with AI are TOTALLYagainst embryo work and cloning? :shock:
I think it would be fair if everybody who is against AI makes sure that they never buy a bull that's a product of an artificial breeding. Or anything AI in his pedigree. That sounds fair to me. Stand on that no AI principle. :lol:

Go for it guys ruin the athentic cattle ranch as we know it to day!! ( fat chance) I have know use for your type of change. AI is a tool for improvment not a replacement for good bulls.

Bulls are and have always been a part of a ranchers life a part that I may hate at times but would not want to lose or give up!!!!

Most rancher that AI run clean up bulls . Very few places are 100% AI . If they are 100% AI ,they are going to be small .

Gardiner Angus Ranch uses no clean up bulls. They registered the most aomount of Angus calves last year if I remember right. Around 1500 or so.

C HOLLAND":1rgdnf32 said:
We WILD,,,,,We have a replacement cow sale in my area every month and bred heifers AI to good quality Angus bulls always bring $1,250-$1,400 each, some have a calf on the ground and some are 6-8 months bred. Some of the biggest cattle producers in my area usually buy several trailer loads at each sale, and he is a commercial producer only. (he runs over 1500 head)

I plan to supply him with several next year and have an agreement to sell right off the farm. GOOD quality bred heifers continue to sell very good, even with the hay shortage here.

Is that what registered stock brings in your area?

kjones":cxgxxyfv said:
dac1":cxgxxyfv said:
S.R.R. you hit the nail on the head there is no room on here for anybody that has what i call heinz 57 cows you have to be breeding pure bred cows and ia all of them does every body on here know when they go to purchase cows from a neghbor or sale barn etc .do they know their history ?
I'm sorry I must have missed the rule that said you have to be breeding pure bred cows. I didn't realize you were in charge here. I suppose I should go look for a board that allows cross breeds. :roll:

Kjones dac1 was being sarcastic. You both have pointed out the core meaning of this thread! I wanted the new cattle persons to know that contrary to popular opinion you do not have to buy fancy cows and have them bred via AI to the latest popular bull in order to have top quality cattle.

Many of the members on this board have got into the habit of discouraged new cattle breeders from just raising good cattle and breeding them to good bulls without having to do or have the latest fad in the industry.

im sure that the big ranches bull's are supplied by folks who AI, embryo tranfer and the works, its thoses breeders and their top notch genetics that keep the big ranches alive. i like the cowboy way myself but if you don't stay on top of the game your out.

Its hard to expect to even sell bulls if you don't have an AI program at least, many people have ET programs to stay on top of it. I know of 2 purebred breeders who don't AI, one runs an extensive linebreeding program the other raises steers with nuts and sells them as cow fresheners for 800.

Wewild":2tqxigka said:
C HOLLAND":2tqxigka said:
We WILD,,,,,We have a replacement cow sale in my area every month and bred heifers AI to good quality Angus bulls always bring $1,250-$1,400 each, some have a calf on the ground and some are 6-8 months bred. Some of the biggest cattle producers in my area usually buy several trailer loads at each sale, and he is a commercial producer only. (he runs over 1500 head)

I plan to supply him with several next year and have an agreement to sell right off the farm. GOOD quality bred heifers continue to sell very good, even with the hay shortage here.

WeWild, this price is for commercial good quality angus heifers.

I have not AI ed before but can see the advantages of it.
Not counting the cost of semen, what is the avg. cost to have someone come in and AI your cows.

you have heard the exspression you have to crawl before you walk well people like me on here that have an oppurtunity to get in the cattle buisness for whatever reason family,friends or just want to . in my case my father in law he has diffrent breeds and i buy what i can to get into the buisness it seems like sometimes you are looked down on because you are trying to get started and you dont have anything you can bragg on as far as what breed or what bull. but i have a lot of respect for a lot of people on this board and i dont want to offend the folks that are really helpfull or anyone for that matter lots of good people on here :D

S.R.R.":22dh87f4 said:
kjones":22dh87f4 said:
dac1":22dh87f4 said:

Kjones dac1 was being sarcastic. You both have pointed out the core meaning of this thread! I wanted the new cattle persons to know that contrary to popular opinion you do not have to buy fancy cows and have them bred via AI to the latest popular bull in order to have top quality cattle.

Many of the members on this board have got into the habit of discouraged new cattle breeders from just raising good cattle and breeding them to good bulls without having to do or have the latest fad in the industry.

Now that comment I agree with SRR! Our commercial herd is admired by everyone that sees it and they have never been AI'd. AI'ing is not mandatory to get a good herd but if you don't AI you have to have a good quality bull. I think bulls are a pain in the butt for most of the year but there is something to be said about just opening the gate and letting nature take it's course. ;-) I don't think people should be discouraged one way or the other. A good bull bred to your cows whether naturally or through AI is what is needed, I think we can all agree on that.

S.R.R. said:
I am really getting tired of all this AI talk!! /quote]

So why not just skip the posts on the subject? I have never used it and no nothing about AI. I am however interested in learning. Some day I might want to use it if I have a good bull that I don't want to breed back to its offspring.

Just to throw another spanner in the works....

if you do AI you don't neccesarily need to follow the latest fashion in bulls, you can also use a bull that has been dead for years. That would be awfully hard to do if you only breed naturally.

There definately is a place for natural breeding, I do that on my commercial cattle and if you really farm extensively that is probably the way to go if your situation don't allow AI. The problem being that bulls that would improve your herd become very expensive.

There definately is a place for AI, I do that on my purebreds. And consequently make faster progress because I can match every cow to a more suitable bull.

There is also a place for ET's, just not in my operation at this point in time.

Also, if I have semen that I don't paln to use on the purebreds anymore, I do use them on my commercial cattle and then run a clean up bull after one attempt at AI, no harm done.

For mgs, if you sync your cattle, it runs about $8/hd. for drugs and CIDR's. Tech charges $50 for the visit, plus $10/hd. to AI. I've got friends in the business, so if they're in the area, cost is free.

Jeepers, I've run a bull here the last few years, but he was AI'd and now my next herd bull is busting up my barn, but he was AI'd?

How am I supposed to feel about myself?? :lol: :lol:

C HOLLAND":2hk25g2q said:
Wewild":2hk25g2q said:
C HOLLAND":2hk25g2q said:

WeWild, this price is for commercial good quality angus heifers.

Mike wasn't saying commercial. I was responding to what he said.

I think Mike said that some of the good commercial replacement heifers around here brought about as much as some of the purebred stuff.

MikeC":2fc3xjeb said:

I think Mike said that some of the good commercial replacement heifers around here brought about as much as some of the purebred stuff.

Said better than me as that what I was trying to say. Seems like their was a fair amount of them.

Were they bring what she stated?

MikeC":2tut1m6d said:
Would it be fair to say that people who disagree with AI are TOTALLYagainst embryo work and cloning? :shock:

AI is okay with me. I don't feel it is ethically wrong.

Cloning is not okay with me and I feel it is ethically wrong.

If cloning is used because man has raped the land again, things like trying to make buffalo extinct, then I can accept cloning. I can only accept it to right a wrong or undo man's error.

I would never purchase the offspring of a cloned cow/bull. I would CONSIDER the purchase of a bull out of the results of AI.

That is what my ethics tell me. I see vast differences between AI and cloning.

Jeepers, I've run a bull here the last few years, but he was AI'd and now my next herd bull is busting up my barn, but he was AI'd?

How am I supposed to feel about myself??

If i was a bull and got AI'ed i'd bust more than your barn.

Ten reasons I don't like buffalo

10. they lack hind quarter and have to much shoulder.

9. they don't marble

8. They take up good grazing land that cattle could live on

7. Treehuggers and hippys like them.

6. They are ugly

5. Way overated as an eating experience.

4. They act like yearlings forever

3. Poor converters of feed

2. Stupid goofy horns

1. Ted turner raises them

Latest posts