Age of members

Help Support CattleToday:

your age

• 10-15 (wet behind the ears)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-25 (ears ain't wet but still a few muddy spots)

• 25- 35 (I don't emember that knee hurting yesterday)

• 35-45 (now I know why my Grandpaw walked slow)

• 45-60 (knew Noah personally, first herd dispersal)

• 60-75 (using the staff that Moses gave you)

• 75+ (called Adam and Eve Momma and Daddy)

• Total voters
alabama":3hpj0ctb said:
Green Creek":3hpj0ctb said:
Well, it looks like I have the honor of being the oldest on board but I don't admit to having the staff that Moses gave me. As far as the seniors not wanting to deal with computers as was mentioned in the other poll/post, I don't think you can count on that. I have been using computers since Windows 3.0 (in case anyone is old enough to remember that). By the way, I will soon be 65. Do I get the door prize?

Si

I started uesing computers before internet and windows. Back then it was all dos based.

Yep, I did DOS for about six months before Windows came out. Boy, what an improvement.

Si

Green Creek":30loq50y said:
alabama":30loq50y said:
Green Creek":30loq50y said:
Well, it looks like I have the honor of being the oldest on board but I don't admit to having the staff that Moses gave me. As far as the seniors not wanting to deal with computers as was mentioned in the other poll/post, I don't think you can count on that. I have been using computers since Windows 3.0 (in case anyone is old enough to remember that). By the way, I will soon be 65. Do I get the door prize?

Si

I started uesing computers before internet and windows. Back then it was all dos based.

Yep, I did DOS for about six months before Windows came out. Boy, what an improvement.

Si

What about CPM?

dun

I remember dos 4.0 coming out as the best thing ever to be expected. I started with computers in about 82. My field of work is in the electrical field. Some of the things we used in the early 80's that were as big as a feedbin will now fit on your watch. I remember the first program I wrote in 82, before personal computers came about, I had to use a lot of logic just to do a small job. Now machery with multiple functions and heat patterns can easily be done and stored on a drive that will fit on my keychain. Anyone remember 8088 machines, Mine was fast, I upgraded it to 512 memory from 384 and it was a screamer. Some old equipment here still use it. They have "huge" hard drives 20 meg even. The first robot I had any dealings with used a 10 -11 inch floppy. I don't remember for sure. Those 5 1/4" inch came out with so much more storage space. When windows first came out I could run circles around it with dos commands. Not anymore. At one time I could do anything I wanted with a computer, I knew how to make it do everthing I wanted. They changed faster than I could. Heck now I can't even do the html stuff and the like. I just havn't had a need to learn it. I still use them for machine programing and robots but they have came a long way using only 1's and 0's. At one time I was smarter than my computer now i'm in the learning disabilities class.

dun":2zpiydig said:
Green Creek":2zpiydig said:
alabama":2zpiydig said:
Green Creek":2zpiydig said:

Si

Si

What about CPM?

dun

That one is by me.

Si

CP/M=Control Program Microprocessor. Back before every vendor in the world had their own version of a DOS and long before microsoft DOS, there was CPM. It was about one generation removed from PONG. I think there are actually systems that still run it but I think it's mostly industrial equipment type of deals.

dun

dun":1qayp9vc said:
CP/M=Control Program Microprocessor. Back before every vendor in the world had their own version of a DOS and long before microsoft DOS, there was CPM. It was about one generation removed from PONG. I think there are actually systems that still run it but I think it's mostly industrial equipment type of deals.

dun

Some systems still run it mainly because as a maintenance guy you can't get in to see what is going on. Most of them you get flow charts with but it ain't always gonna be something that you can fix with a flow chart. If a motor has to maintain a speed in relationship with hydralic oil flow it can be a problem. You have to call in a vender to see why it ain't working the way it should. Those types of systems are rapidly going by the wayside. We have some equipment that had it on it and we changed it over to something more user friendly.

I remember working at TCU off the mainframe. Windows 3.0, oh heck yeah. Didn't even have a mouse.

My first home "computer" was a keyboard that hooked up to the TV. Had a couple of disks for it, but I don't remember what they were called. I got really, really good playing chess on that thing.

Alice

Bama":2n0zeai8 said:
dun":2n0zeai8 said:

dun

Some systems still run it mainly because as a maintenance guy you can't get in to see what is going on. Most of them you get flow charts with but it ain't always gonna be something that you can fix with a flow chart. If a motor has to maintain a speed in relationship with hydralic oil flow it can be a problem. You have to call in a vender to see why it ain't working the way it should. Those types of systems are rapidly going by the wayside. We have some equipment that had it on it and we changed it over to something more user friendly.

Last tiime I worked with it was on a 8086 sytem that simulated a 6800 so it could run Xenix. Talk about an odd bodkin

dun