Ads for cows in local paper

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2jjky43f said:
Not really as I will not be jewed in my own pasture.

Caustic Burno":2jjky43f said:
Won't be any negotiations I would ask you if a bulldozer followed you here when you replied no I would tell you the road you came in aint tore up.
Plenty of repeat buyers here without having to put up with the BS.

Too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Their is a local rancher that I regularily do business with. Very good people, that I also considr my friends.

Anyway, I was looking at some bred cows, that werent exactlty what I was looking for, but were close. She gave me a price and I asked her if she could go $50 lower. She went on and on about how good those cows were, the bull they were AI'd to and how they were worth the asking price. But, she said she would talk it over with her husband and give me a call. Well, I thought about what she said about those cows and decided I wanted them anyway. She called back the next day and said she didnt want to lower the price and I told her that I had thought about it and decided I would pay the asking price.

I havent regreted it since, they are great cows and mommas and the calves they popped out that first year where everything she thought they would be. I still have three of them as well.

My point is, they werent what I wanted, but if I hadnt asked about a lower price she wouldnt have gone on about all their attributes and I wouldnt have bouthgt them. We both would have missed a good oppertunity.

Nothing wrong with responding to an ad in the paper...thats how we got started...not cows ..but feeders.

My father-in-law would chew the price down anywhere...walmart...longs (he negotiated a lower price on a rifle there) you name it ...my sister and even i have been the same way...no harm in asking.

but don't insult someone... i agree the price is the price in most farm/ag transactions i've had...if its $$ per pound or $$ per bale, I don't haggle if I want it and most the time they give me a break too...also they sell to me later.. p them off and you may never do business there again, i figure.

JMO donna

Everyday is a good day...some are better than others.

donnaIL":f5ohxcu9 said:
Nothing wrong with responding to an ad in the paper...thats how we got started...not cows ..but feeders.

My father-in-law would chew the price down anywhere...walmart...longs (he negotiated a lower price on a rifle there) you name it ...my sister and even i have been the same way...no harm in asking.

but don't insult someone... i agree the price is the price in most farm/ag transactions i've had...if its $$ per pound or $$ per bale, I don't haggle if I want it and most the time they give me a break too...also they sell to me later.. p them off and you may never do business there again, i figure.

JMO donna

Everyday is a good day...some are better than others.

Absolutely correct.

I was at the Farm Machinery Show today at a tool booth. The salesman was touting his no name wrenches as the best in the industry. For $69 dollars, I could walk away with 20 or so wrenches. I asked him if that was his best price. He responded with a simple "No", and I walked away. Had he responded with $60 or $65 cash, he would've made a deal.

The art of negotiation has been lost. A few people in this thread got offended by my willingness to negotiate. But I'm not out to take advantage of anyone. I simply want a deal we can both agree on. Sometimes negotiations aren't about money, but they're always about value.

I approached farmer about buying some of his cattle that he'd advertised in the newspaper. He wanted $600 for some bred heifers, which at the time was about $50 too high, but not unreasonable. I asked him if he was willing to sell the whole lot for a little cheaper price. He saw a young, impressionable high-school kid, and wouldn't budge. So then I asked if we could run the cattle through his headgate so I could vaccinate them. He responded that they had been "7 way'ed" a month ago, and I offered that I'd like to give them their booster that was due at the time. He couldn't back down from that. When we ran them into the pens, four of them went berserk. Right about that time, I discovered the true value of those heifers. I told him that I wasn't really interested in those four, and that the deal was off. He was a pinhooker trying to unload some culls at an inflated price.

1848":1lwp6145 said:
Caustic Burno":1lwp6145 said:
Not really as I will not be jewed in my own pasture.

Caustic Burno":1lwp6145 said:
Won't be any negotiations I would ask you if a bulldozer followed you here when you replied no I would tell you the road you came in aint tore up.
Plenty of repeat buyers here without having to put up with the BS.

Too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see any humor in it. It is serious business and your name at stake. Plus the reputation of the ancestors that came before you. That is no joking matter at all.

Don't you just love the folks who drive up in those expensive jap turbo charged go-carts, maintaining status quo, and can't afford hay prices for those high dollar horses. They can't wait to brag over a glass of wine how they got the best of some dumb farmer. If they find the road out I don't have to look at them again or waste my time with them.

Over the last 20 years, I have bought and sold an average of 400 cows per year. I buy at the sales barn and from neighbors that I know. Those neighbors will call and say they have some cattle to take to the sale and I will look at the cattle and tell them what they will bring at the barn. I tell them I will give them that much and it will save them hauling and selling fees. I don't bother asking them what they want for the cattle. I tell them what they are worth and if it isnt enough they decide to keep them awhile. Sometimes it is more than what they would have asked for the cattle They know I will give them a check for more than their sales barn check will be worth. Once in awhile they decide to try the market and almost every time, they call and say they got less than what I offered. This comes from dealing with the neighbors over a period of years and developing a relationship. A different situation is if I want something to keep. Last week, I looked at some real nice 11 month old charolais bulls. The guy wanted 1,000 for choice, I asked him if he would take less if I took 2 bulls. He told me he would take 900 each for 2 and I bought them.
I never sell cows at the farm. I buy them at the cattle auction and I freshen them out and I sell them at the cattle auction. I have no idea if the story was true when I bought them, so I am not going to tell a story when I sell them. I have several people who call and ask when I am going to be taking cattle to the sale, because they want to buy them. However, it is what you see is what you get. I bought them and I am selling them---plain and simple. The 200 permanent mama cows I keep are only sold when it is hamburger time. Different people have different strategies and I dont want to bother with someone coming onto my farm and trying to talk me down on my cows, and I am not going to invent a story that isnt true to try and sell them.

I've bought quite a few cows, bulls, and heifers out of the paper. I always offer a little less then they are listed for. Some times it works out sometimes I get a counter offer and sometimes the price is firm. If I like the animal and I think it's a fair price then they go home with me, if not I take an empty trailer home.

I also sell most of my heifers, and some pairs through ads in the local classifieds. I've never had anyone not ask for a lower price on anything - be it cattle or other equipment, ect. It does not offend me as long as they don't stand there and say stuff like Oh, they ain't really what I was looking for but I guess I could turn them for $500. No thank you, you are wasting my time, good bye.

I will work harder with someone that shows up with a trailer because I know they are serious, not just lookie loos waisting my time. I had 10 heifers for sale last time listed for $650, we settled on $635 a head and he took them all. I knew he was serious and the whole deal was done in less then 15 minutes. I like deals like that. My goal is to get $600 minimum for every calf that leaves the place. If I get more then that, which on average I usually do, then I figure I did real good.

eric":18un8k45 said:
preston39":18un8k45 said:
I will bet there is no one posting here that hasn't made an offer on a vehicle or a piece of farm equipment, horse,etc. regardless of asking price. When we bid at an auction we are no doubt offering less than the seller would want. Why should cattle be any diifferent?

It should not be offensive to anyone for a buyer to make an offer when the asking price is unacceptable.

Which reminds me, in the future I am even thinking of including;

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
Hospital (unless emergency) ;-)
County-Real property tax :help:
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

This reminds me of buying a piece of equipment a couple years ago. I offered a credit card(forgot to bring a check book)when he said it's ok. I ask...how much they were paying for the CC processing? He said about 1.25%.
I said ok...re write the bill ..less 1.25%...and I will bring a check back when I pick it up. Worked.

I get guys all the time who try and pull that scam also. Doesnt fly around here. The credit card payment will be in my account the following night, your check will take 4-5 days to show up in my account , even on a local bank. You want the 1.7% discount, then bring cash.
=
eric,
Check with your bank. No more floating money...4-5 years now.
The check clears overnight..electronically..the physical check catches up via e-image,fax,snail mail ,later.

Alan":2gzzm24s said:
preston39":2gzzm24s said:
I will bet there is no one posting here that hasn't made an offer on a vehicle or a piece of farm equipment, horse,etc. regardless of asking price. When we bid at an auction we are no doubt offering less than the seller would want. Why should cattle be any diifferent?

It should not be offensive to anyone for a buyer to make an offer when the asking price is unacceptable.

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

This reminds me of buying a piece of equipment a couple years ago. I offered a credit card(forgot to bring a check book)when he said it's ok. I ask...how much they were paying for the CC processing? He said about 1.25%.
I said ok...re write the bill ..less 1.25%...and I will bring a check back when I pick it up. Worked.

If I had someone try that CC line with me I would look at them like they been hit with a stupid stick! Red flags would fly and it now becomes cash only. On a $700 heifer, your asking me to dicount $8.75. No way to deal in my opinion.

JMO,
Alan
====
Alan,

Keep it in perspective. That was a $19,000. piece of equipment. Little more than $8.75.

Bad checks are a no-no around here with a state law that makes it a felony...."theft by conversion". Conviction carries automatic jail time.

I always heard that animals bought directly off of a farm were better, but more expensive, do you think this is correct?

GMN

GMN":242eojvv said:
I always heard that animals bought directly off of a farm were better, but more expensive, do you think this is correct?

GMN

GMN,

I was about to ask this exact same question. Were you or are you reading my mind? :shock:

tncattle":3rghrj7c said:
GMN":3rghrj7c said:

GMN

GMN,

I was about to ask this exact same question. Were you or are you reading my mind? :shock:

Maybe great minds think alike! ;-) :)

GMN":ka455uue said:

GMN

The only way they would be "better" is you would know the animals history.. But if the seller is a crook, you wouldn;t be any better off then buying them from a salebarn

tncattle":1k3ybsyx said:
GMN":1k3ybsyx said:

GMN

GMN,

GMN,
You read Tncattle's mind you'd better be a speed reader. Man he asks questions fast. He's going to be a guru real quick. :lol: :lol:

Cowdirt":vnrk6pb3 said:
tncattle":vnrk6pb3 said:
GMN":vnrk6pb3 said:

GMN

GMN,

GMN,
You read Tncattle's mind you'd better be a speed reader. Man he asks questions fast. He's going to be a guru real quick. :lol: :lol:[/quote

Cowdirt,

Seriously I know I can go rapid fire on my questions so I try to be mindful and take a day off sometimes. But as I've said y'all have benn and are being so helpful!

depends on cattle and is the price with calves if so a very good price if cows are in good shape also you can counter ofer the price of cattle the more you buy the more leverage you have

preston39":3py0xdz5 said:
eric":3py0xdz5 said:
preston39":3py0xdz5 said:

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

I get guys all the time who try and pull that scam also. Doesnt fly around here. The credit card payment will be in my account the following night, your check will take 4-5 days to show up in my account , even on a local bank. You want the 1.7% discount, then bring cash.
=
eric,
The check clears overnight..electronically..the physical check catches up via e-image,fax,snail mail ,later.

But the bank still will not credit my account for at least 3 days. It may come out of your account overnight, but it wont be in my account available for withdrawal for 3-4 days. Now if I have enough in my account to cover the check then they will let me draw against it, but they will freeze the funds until it actually clears your bank. Actually the overnight processing started 3 yrs ago to make it harder for folks to kite checks and write one check on one bank to cover another hot check at another bank.

Gate Opener":2affhgbs said:
As I was leaving I heard her tell someone that she always prices her things higher than what she really wants so she can come down on the price.

Wonder how many sales she misses because people just walk away? Wonder how many people don't even show up?

eric":8qdata7m said:
preston39":8qdata7m said:
eric":8qdata7m said:
preston39":8qdata7m said:

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

=
eric,

But the bank still will not credit my account for at least 3 days. It may come out of your account overnight, but it wont be in my account available for withdrawal for 3-4 days. Now if I have enough in my account to cover the check then they will let me draw against it, but they will freeze the funds until it actually clears your bank. Actually the overnight processing started 3 yrs ago to make it harder for folks to kite checks and write one check on one bank to cover another hot check at another bank.
you brought up a good question about banks an checks clearing.i have things setup at my bank where i can write an open end check.now that means i have the amount im spending more or less pre set.an when i write a check for cattle say today.all i have todo is call them monday morning.tell them the amount of the check an they will cover it.no questions asked.if i need to i can go over the preset amount i need.

bigbull338":pp3r6rsm said:
I have things setup at my bank where i can write an open end check.now that means i have the amount im spending more or less pre set.an when i write a check for cattle say today.all i have todo is call them monday morning.tell them the amount of the check an they will cover it.no questions asked.if i need to i can go over the preset amount i need.

We have the same thing only I don;t have to call the bank. It's called a checkbook

dun

Latest posts