Adjusting Headgate

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Hi!-
We just bought a used headgate that we are currently getting the rust off and getting ready to paint and put it in our chute for doctoring and Ai. It is an automatic type, not sure of the brand.
On the actual catching/closing part, where the head goes in, one side has a spring with about 1 1/2-2 inches "give" on the spring side. The other side has a lock bolt that adjusts the width of the other side, in effect the width of the gate.
My question is how wide should the opening be to catch the cow, but not be too tight. We have a Hereford heifer who will be the first to get "caught". While I'm at it, anyone have ballpark measurements for calves, and large cows?
Thank you so much
Susie

susie,

One of ours is that design. When we got it we just adjusted until it worked properly for the size of animal in question. Then we re adjust as required.

Example the size we set for yearlings...or there abouts...would not work for one of the bulls. He couldn't get his head in it. Likewise his setting would let the yearling get to far thru before being activated. When we are processing the animals we try to get the groups segregated and put thru the shute in size type order. The bulls being the last. But, seems we are always adjusting.

Thanks Preston39. We only have 3 cows, so hopefully won't have to adjust it an awful lot, once they are all mature.
Could you give me an estimate of how wide the catch should be for the bulls vs the yearlings? Our heifer is a yearling, and our cow is 7 and Huge.... maybe this is something that we'll just have to experiment with. I have this vision of us choking the cow :( while we frantically adjust the headgate :shock:

Susie

susie,

Basically the opening should allow the cows head thru...when the neck and shoulders make contact...it shuts. Your'e not going to choke 'em. I don't think the unit we have has any number settings. Just a series of grooves on the rod to set the the retainer at. You should be able to set it on manual also.

Susie,

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger :) I just got my squeeze chute a week ago
and still have yet to use it. I too had similar concerns about setting the
width for the auto catch headgate. I had nightmares of having to take
a chainsaw to get a cow out :shock:

My herd (both cows :) ) have horns, so I'm guessing I ned to set it wide
enough for the horns to clear? Or will they turn thier head to get thru?

If its as wide as thier horns, i'm afraid thier shoulders wont catch it though. Any thoughts?

Plowboy_TX":1lverfil said:
Susie,

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger :) I just got my squeeze chute a week ago
and still have yet to use it. I too had similar concerns about setting the
width for the auto catch headgate. I had nightmares of having to take
a chainsaw to get a cow out :shock:

My herd (both cows :) ) have horns, so I'm guessing I ned to set it wide
enough for the horns to clear? Or will they turn thier head to get thru?

If its as wide as thier horns, i'm afraid thier shoulders wont catch it though. Any thoughts?

the auto head gate i use is of little value to catch one with horns.. hope you have better luck.

problem is, if you set it too wide, the cow gets her shoulders thru. if too narrow, then the horns set the head catch before her head goes thru.. of course all this depends on the size of the horns..

it is much easier if they have no horns or very short ones.

good luck

jt

Mine are only 9 month old Herefords, and the horns are only about 8 inches long (each) but there is a lot of cow in the middle :)

So, do you just run them in with the doors closed, and squeeze them?
or open the door once they are in and let them poke thier head out?

Plowboy_TX":1w3h3e0q said:
Mine are only 9 month old Herefords, and the horns are only about 8 inches long (each) but there is a lot of cow in the middle :)

So, do you just run them in with the doors closed, and squeeze them?
or open the door once they are in and let them poke thier head out?

i dont squeeze them until i am ready to work em... whether their head is caught or not.. i dont catch the head unless i have to. less stress on them and me.

not saying what i do is best, just the way i do it. i can give a shot right quick and have them released before i can worry with all the head catching. i catch em if they are too rowdy or getting palpated or any thing being done to the head (aging, tagging, etc)

not sure i answered your question, but if i plan on catching their head i will set the gate before i run them in... hoping in one motion they go right into the catch.. some do, and some dont. i just do what ever it takes.

good luck

jt

Plowboy (let me guess - Tarleton, huh?)

Why don't you get them dehorned? It is pretty cheap for the vet to do it, and well worth it in the long run.

Or at least train the horns down so they won't cause as much of a problem in the future.

Thanks for the replys :) I like Jt's last line "I just do what ever it takes"
thats kinda the way I look at things most times.

And Sid, I like the horns and do plan on traning them down. To me,
Herefords look "Funky" without horns :) I dont want no funky cows !

PS: No... not Tarleton.. I went to the school of hard knocks. If I had went
to Tarleton (division of A&M) you'd think I would know this stuff :p

hehe :)

Plowboy_TX,

Not to worry, I went 3 yrs at Tarleton before transferring to A&M and didn't learn the proper use of a squeeze chute at either school. Of course I was majoring in electrical engineering which may have something to do with it.

A quick tip is to take a paint pen and mark a spot where you can see the setting. You will soon learn what size fits what mark.

Latest posts