Adding organic matter to bare spots?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dueyb

Reaction score
I have a farm with a dozen or so bare spots where soil is gone and down to rock. It was an old reclaimed coal mine and cattle have started to wear down a few areas that grow nothing. I was thinking about dumping poor quality (yr or two old) cornstalk bales on these areas to hopefully stop erosion and potentially build some soil after several years. I like the idea of cornstalks because they are cheap, plentiful and would break apart and cover the area better than hay.

Waste of time and money? Or other suggestions? Thanks

Don't know why that wouldn't work. Any organic matter added should be a good thing. Any extra manure you have would of course be a good thing also.

Feed round bales on the bare spots. It will be growing cover soon. I rented a place that had bare spots. After feeding hay there two years it grew grass fine

rnh2":32vxpe48 said:
Feed round bales on the bare spots. It will be growing cover soon. I rented a place that had bare spots. After feeding hay there two years it grew grass fine

yep.

if it has rock underneath.. if possible remove the rock first.

Same here I feed rolls on the bare spots.
Also on advice from Bigfoot I pick several acres to roll out hay on all winter. Plow in the destruction early spring it'll be the best grass of the year.
Pick a different spot for next winter.

rnh2":1y8sf2qt said:
That is what I do.

Agree with all that say to feed round bales in these areas. Yes, cornstalks will help with their bulkiness to hold any dirt/manure that accumulates. They will break down a little slower and add organic matter. ANYTHING made of "carbon" that will break down will add to the tilth of the soil. There is no wrong way to add with the ground being bare. There is no waste of time or money if a cheap source of adding to the organic matter is available.

rnh2":1i6q0kw2 said:

You betcha.....get the organic matter and a tad of nourishment too...given cow manure isn't at the top of the list but better than nothing. Easy to spot where folks (including me) put out round bales for cattle. Always an improvement in vegetation vs surrounding area and if you really want to do it up right, pile them up ....feed several in exactly the same place. It will take a couple of years to really get going but it will.

That's the way I used to restore coastal pastures....feed a bale and before you know it a thriving circle of the stuff.

Latest posts