A set of books: Branded as Rebels -- Conf. troops, Civ. War

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I'm a huge history buff; my hubby is from MO, right where much ruckus started along the Kansas/MO line early on, in Bates County On a trip to MO a couple years ago, I found BRANDED AS REBELS, Vols. I and II. The author, Donald R. Hale, has compiled in these books information on every Confederate soldier he found/received information for. If any of you have Confederate soldiers in your family history, wondering if there has been anything written about them, LMK, and I'll see if there is any mention in these books. Narrow it down, if you can -- if you have home-towns, birthdates, . . . . there could be six or twenty John Smiths.

Any mention of a Mancil aka Mance from Liberty SC or that area. I'll try and find his first name he was sometimes called Mance. Yankees had a large bounty on his head after he got tired of the carpet baggers and the occupational thieves.

ALACOWMAN":b9bmvss1 said:
well,, got anything yet?

Well, yes and no -- I found Vol. II, but have put Vol. I somewhere . . . in a safe place, I'm sure . . . which I haven't relocated yet. In Vol. II. there was an AFH or AHF Payne, out of Clinton, MO. There were actually a couple references to him, but when it finally got to a first name instead of the initials, it wasn't an "Asa."

Jogeephus, I found nothing in Vol. II about a Mance or Mancil.

I hadn't really noticed in these books before: The little histories give home towns, but almost never show info about what units/companies these men served with. ????

Will update again when I find Vol. I. What this author did via multiple volumes was that he put all info he had into Vol. I; and then as he got more names and more histories, he put together Vol. II. K

Kathie in Thorp":5hgfrtvz said:
ALACOWMAN":5hgfrtvz said:
look for Asa Franklin Payne,,sargent col. 24th Georgia infantry triple great granddad,, born in Franklin Co, GA,, buried in Fort payne

Forgot to mention, I like your new avatar! Is that 3XGreat Grandad Asa?
thats captain Lemuel Mead, he lived and is buried in my old home town of Paint Rock, Ala.
http://ehistory.osu.edu/uscw/features/r ... e/mead.cfm

Last name "Joseph Soph" . He was from Missouri.
Thank you very much. Our son is a History Major (minor in Archeology) at Texas Tech. He is a civil war buff too and belongs to a re-enactment group.

chippie":36rvnijh said:
Last name "Joseph Soph" . He was from Missouri.
Thank you very much. Our son is a History Major (minor in Archeology) at Texas Tech. He is a civil war buff too and belongs to a re-enactment group.

Chippie, if your son is doing all this, he has access to WAAAAAY more info than I've got! But, I've 'gotta find Vol. I . . . . gotta find it, gotta find it . . . :)

Latest posts