a question for commercial operators

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":1s80c2nj said:
longtimelurker":1s80c2nj said:
Well then just tell me the name of the locker plant, I will look up the number myself. Simple question, simple answer unless of course this USDA inspected and USDA graded plant doesn't exist. If it does I would like to ask them a question or two.

I dont know anymore than you do. But I dont care, and I have red cattle to.

I had purple ones once. Honest actually they was chars, and the guy I bought them from thought he sold them too cheap afterwards, so he got some purple sprayola. When I asked him WTH is with the purple blotches all over the cattle he said ink dye packets they exploded when you stole them from me just like at a bank.

I am sick of clicking on this thread! If everyone who is playing games with this "longtime JERK" would just ignore and avoid his specious and insistant stupid questions - perhaps he would just go away!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3uti8b8z said:
I am sick of clicking on this thread! If everyone who is playing games with this "longtime JERK" would just ignore and avoid his specious and insistant stupid questions - perhaps he would just go away!

DOC HARRIS

Stop clicking on it then and ignore me like the other story tellers do.

AngusLimoX":yf2ew0zj said:
fargus":yf2ew0zj said:
Uniformity doesn't matter to them.

Why is that?

I just realized you are from Ontario, so tell us. Equal quality cattle.

A pen of whites.

A pen of blacks.

And a pen of mixed reds, yellows, blacks and splotchy.

Go ahead and tell us there will be more than a nickle between them at a well attended sale.

And the next time you want to tell me what I am arguing, you should do your homework. I run solid cattle in uniform groups. Hoping to get a few pennies. So I can buy rainbows to put in my pen. Take the evening to digest that.

Good for you. You sell at a premium, buy low and re-sort. Congratulations.

If you don't want me to mis-interpret your argument state it clearly. Re-read all ten pages at one go. I won't stand here and tell you equal quality cattle of different colours sell poorly relative to quality cattle of the same colour. The issue to me is this: unless you run consistent cows, and bring consistent calves to the sale barn they get sorted into singles and pairs. The singles and pairs typically don't sell as well as a group of 10+. It isn't the colour, it's the sorting. Any reason you can give them to NOT sort your cattle into small groups helps you as the seller in the long run. Sometimes it is colour, especially when you bring every colour under the sun. If they're mixed reds and blacks of a similar type it probably isn't a big deal. An eight-month calving season with weaning weights all over the map is a big deal.

Is that a difficult concept to understand?

If consistent coloured calves help with the overall impression of uniformity, that's a plus for you.

As to uniformity not mattering to jockeys, they are doing what you just claimed to do. Buy low, sell high. You need to be able to identify similar type in all the singles and small groups, and take on the risk of having health issues by mixing cattle from multiple sources. If you do a good job buying and putting groups together you can turn a profit on each animal you buy and sell, assuming the market doesn't change in the interim.

I think angus cowman highlighted rainbow herds as an indication of how things are run on that operation; not that colour is the deciding factor. Does that make sense?

Latest posts