a question for commercial operators

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":3klgr2av said:
longtimelurker":3klgr2av said:
Angus Cowman":3klgr2av said:
ol Bessy will raise a 700lb calf every yr the part is they can't or won't figure out that ol bessy's calf only brought $0.90 and ol gerts calf brought $0.90 and the rest of their mismatched rainbow herd brought $.90 and if they would of all been the same color they would have brought 10-20 cents more per lb
see it happen all the time when they run a single calf in he might bring $.90 and then they bring a group of 5-20 in they can be the same size, weight,quality and color as the previuos calf and they will bring $1.05

I had to edit and add the colored part so LTL would assume or misinterpret anything
Now you are comparing selling a single calf to a group of calves that is not what you said before. Try to remain consistant with your posting.

upfrombottom is the man or woman who questioned what I repeated, talk to them. I have found it best not believe anything said on this website unless it can be verified by a third party. I have also found that in most cases you will never verify most claims on this site mainly because it wasn't true.[/quote]........................ then whats the point of argument .... leave them to the make believe world then you and x-lax can slap high 5's to each other

andybob":1a13uidn said:
AngusLimoX":1a13uidn said:
Just skin pigmentation.
Gotcha now.
No British breeds have pigmented skin, coloured hair does not indicate melanin in the skin, tropically adapted breeds are pigmented, with the only black haired Taurus type available in the USA at present is the Mashona;
http://www.americanmashona.com/
Thewn why does an angus have a black skin and some Herefords have red in the skin around their eyes?

longtimelurker":2ip3r784 said:
Angus Cowman":2ip3r784 said:
see it happen all the time when they run a single calf in he might bring $.90 and then they bring a group of 5-20 in they can be the same size, weight,quality and color as the previuos calf and they will bring $1.05

I had to edit and add the colored part so LTL would assume or misinterpret anything
Now you are comparing selling a single calf to a group of calves that is not what you said before. Try to remain consistant with your posting.

The original post asked why more folks don't run consistent cows, thus getting consistent calves that can sell in truck-sized lots, and gross more $$ per pound. I fail to see any inconsistencies. It doesn't matter if the singles are off-sorts because of type, colour or weight, they are still an off-sort, and still bring fewer dollars per pound on a typical day at the sale-barn.

Angus Cowman":3kjynxql said:
Stocker Steve":3kjynxql said:
My trucker makes a living off a goose neck and his cows. He has a rainbow herd covered with BA bulls. He is in the sales barn 4 days per week and buys cheap bred heavies with horns or spots or whatever. Ugliest herd in the area but he keeps hidden in wooded pasture :cboy: which is about 50% leased. He never saves a heifer.

The calves are not real uniform, but he gives them one set of shots and then sells them private treaty to someone who feeds them out. He does not own a tractor. Only has a skid steer to unload and feed the meadow hay he buys in.
This is more what is consider a trader and yes you can make money doing it and you can lose money doing it the same as in any operation

Back paddle some more AC.
You seem to be very reluctant to admit there are folks out there that are so much better at judging cattle that they can out profit your subsidized herd.
Lottsa real world folks are starting to corner you.

Alacattlequeer was yipping credibility earlier, yours and your boyfriends may be waning a bit on this one.

AngusLimoX":15fdwtxa said:
Angus Cowman":15fdwtxa said:
Stocker Steve":15fdwtxa said:
My trucker makes a living off a goose neck and his cows. He has a rainbow herd covered with BA bulls. He is in the sales barn 4 days per week and buys cheap bred heavies with horns or spots or whatever. Ugliest herd in the area but he keeps hidden in wooded pasture :cboy: which is about 50% leased. He never saves a heifer.

The calves are not real uniform, but he gives them one set of shots and then sells them private treaty to someone who feeds them out. He does not own a tractor. Only has a skid steer to unload and feed the meadow hay he buys in.
This is more what is consider a trader and yes you can make money doing it and you can lose money doing it the same as in any operation

Back paddle some more AC.
You seem to be very reluctant to admit there are folks out there that are so much better at judging cattle that they can out profit your subsidized herd.
Lottsa real world folks are starting to corner you.

Alacattlequeer was yipping credibility earlier, yours and your boyfriends may be waning a bit on this one.

If you're yippin about the US farm bill when it comes to complain about subsidies you should take an economics lesson. (If on the other hand you are meaning a competitive dis-advantage due to trade barriers I agree. But you should say so.)

A trader, or jockey, isn't breeding. Those guys buy and sell and try to extract a margin on every transaction. Uniformity doesn't matter to them. The observation you are challenging is that uniform calves bring more dollars at the sale barn. That is ludicrous. If you think you can make a bigger profit running a rainbow herd that is your choice, but to state that un-matched cattle gross more on sale day is ridiculous. Sounds like you aren't the fella that should be talking about how things work in the "real" world.

fargus":f9qaph5d said:
The original post asked why more folks don't run consistent cows, thus getting consistent calves that can sell in truck-sized lots, and gross more $$ per pound. I fail to see any inconsistencies. It doesn't matter if the singles are off-sorts because of type, colour or weight, they are still an off-sort, and still bring fewer dollars per pound on a typical day at the sale-barn.
Let me see if I can group together the inconsistencies for you, Putting them together on your own doesn't appear to be possible

Angus Cowman":f9qaph5d said:
ol Bessy will raise a 700lb calf every yr the part is they can't or won't figure out that ol bessy's calf only brought $0.90 and ol gerts calf brought $0.90 and the rest of their mismatched rainbow herd brought $.90 and if they would of all been the same color they would have brought 10-20 cents more per lb

And Then

Angus Cowman":f9qaph5d said:

So first we talk color only makes a $140 dollar per head difference than we are talking it was a result of selling singles vs groups. Reminds me of one of those netflix commercials a guy just spewing out crazy answers.

upfrombottom":1si80kk0 said:
longtimelurker":1si80kk0 said:
what grade are you in again?

Obviously a grade ahead of you.
Thankfully for me we don't go to the same school, you be beatin me up behind the monkey bars at recess.

Next time when I don't know what sex a person is, I will refer to them as IT rather than he or she, that way I won't offend anyone and have threats against my life.

fargus":3ejgn8xc said:
Uniformity doesn't matter to them.

Why is that?

I just realized you are from Ontario, so tell us. Equal quality cattle.

A pen of whites.

A pen of blacks.

And a pen of mixed reds, yellows, blacks and splotchy.

Go ahead and tell us there will be more than a nickle between them at a well attended sale.

And the next time you want to tell me what I am arguing, you should do your homework. I run solid cattle in uniform groups. Hoping to get a few pennies. So I can buy rainbows to put in my pen. Take the evening to digest that.

Around here if they run 10 mismatched colored calves in the order buyers will make them sort off the odds and then start bidding on whats left in the pen

so my original post was on why not run consistant cows to get consistant calve so they don't get sorted

The buyers around here have the mismatched ones sorted off mainly because they can and they know they will get the mismatched for less money

alacattleman":2iaibzvc said:
longtimelurker":2iaibzvc said:
upfrombottom is the man or woman who questioned what I repeated, talk to them. I have found it best not believe anything said on this website unless it can be verified by a third party. I have also found that in most cases you will never verify most claims on this site mainly because it wasn't true.
........................ then whats the point of argument .... leave them to the make believe world then you and x-lax can slap high 5's to each other

I haven't argued, I have been asking for that establishment number over and over, only to be called names by members of the cavalry what is so difficult about a typing a number?

Play nice guys.

I was at a local sale barn the other day and they DIDNOT sort the colored calves off. Thought it was a one time buddy deal then it happened again. Through the whole day they did not sort any colored calves off they were the same condition and weight. I later ask why at the end of the sale. Answer was not enough calves to make up the multiple loads so they all brought very good money.

Straight hereford steers 400 lb average pen of ten. No shots,ect ect. Just off mom brought $1.30. No they were not mine. But I would have gladley sold mine for that.

Pound bulls high was .82

JHH":7mx3xfqp said:
Why is it so important to have the #? Just move on.
Why not just provide the answer to the question. Then move on? That is how question and answer sessions usually work.

longtimelurker":2jh0fckc said:
JHH":2jh0fckc said:
Why not just provide the answer to the question. Then move on? That is how question and answer sessions usually work.

Might be he feels it is like a S.S. # and it is no ones business.

However Jogeephus I believe gave me a S.S. # to use I believe it was 7 try that one.

JHH":3h2waj9u said:
longtimelurker":3h2waj9u said:
JHH":3h2waj9u said:

Might be he feels it is like a S.S. # and it is no ones business.

However Jogeephus I believe gave me a S.S. # to use I believe it was 7 try that one.

Well then just tell me the name of the locker plant, I will look up the number myself. Simple question, simple answer unless of course this USDA inspected and USDA graded plant doesn't exist. If it does I would like to ask them a question or two.

longtimelurker":39nznlc5 said:
Well then just tell me the name of the locker plant, I will look up the number myself. Simple question, simple answer unless of course this USDA inspected and USDA graded plant doesn't exist. If it does I would like to ask them a question or two.

I dont know anymore than you do. But I dont care, and I have red cattle to.