a question for commercial operators

Help Support CattleToday:

Idaman":2qaa8glp said:
ALX --and maybe, on a per head basis - their profit is more than the people spending to produce uniform groups??

What is this spending?[/quote]

Quickly off the top of my head

- breeding stock - if it looks like a beef animal and isn't in too bad a health - it qualifies
- herd health, vax/deworm, treatments ( .22 between the eyes for ones that are gonna cost money )
- culling for herd improvement
- proper handling equipment
- feed supplements

Just look at all of the expenses we have come to accept as necessary to raise quality cattle. They only see the need to keep them alive and bred. And there is also the fact that it could take years to noticeably improve the uniformity of some herds and guys just won't commit to it.

AngusLimoX":hy7sz7zn said:
Idaman":hy7sz7zn said:
ALX --and maybe, on a per head basis - their profit is more than the people spending to produce uniform groups??

What is this spending?

Quickly off the top of my head

- breeding stock - if it looks like a beef animal and isn't in too bad a health - it qualifies
- herd health, vax/deworm, treatments ( .22 between the eyes for ones that are gonna cost money )
- culling for herd improvement
- proper handling equipment
- feed supplements

Just look at all of the expenses we have come to accept as necessary to raise quality cattle. They only see the need to keep them alive and bred. And there is also the fact that it could take years to noticeably improve the uniformity of some herds and guys just won't commit to it.[/quote] so you figure you got a argument with angus because he does commit?

alacattleman":1oro2x6b said:
put together all the numbers you want.. dont give a dam one way or other want you and loghead lurker think you can stick cedibility up you ass..
:cowboy:

Crying on the keyboard is only gonna make it even harder for you to post anything intelligent with those salty tears in your eyes.

Grow Up!

:lol: :lol:

AngusLimoX":jy2veokc said:
alacattleman":jy2veokc said:
put together all the numbers you want.. dont give a dam one way or other want you and loghead lurker think you can stick cedibility up you ass..
:cowboy:

Crying on the keyboard is only gonna make it even harder for you to post anything intelligent with those salty tears in your eyes.

Grow Up!

:lol: :lol:
not the one crying,,you look like telling someone to grow up.. thats rich :cowboy:

Angus Cowman":1kdq681c said:
Lets say everything is equal as far as operating cost go, as that is what I based my question on same shots,mineral and feed situation
it doesn't cost ANYMORE to take care of that uniform herd than it does to care for a Rainbow herd
I know several guys that run a Rainbow herd and manage their operation pretty close to the same as mine

and at the end of the yr I have more $$ in my pocket than they do

on 6 wgts around here the difference can be as much as $50-60 per hd on the calves

Sorry AC - I don't see anywhere you framed the question like that in the OP.

Given those circumstances, all's I can say is stubborness, or maybe they are working real gradual at it so as you don't notice them sneaking up on you!
Lottsa folks still don't have computers, and don't bother with cattlemans meetings and don't give a darn as long as nothing ripples the waters of their existence.

AngusLimoX":whr8fgrf said:
Angus Cowman":whr8fgrf said:
Lets say everything is equal as far as operating cost go, as that is what I based my question on

Sorry AC - I don't see anywhere you framed the question like that in the OP.

quote]
I based my question on multiple colors and breeds or combinations of several breeds ( Motley herds) or as Fargus put it better a "rainbow herd"
I didn't say anything about management practices

AngusLimoX":3js9b15w said:
Lurker - lets put some numbers on it - what is the "premium" on a set of uniform calves as opposed to disparate groups, assuming the same weight and all healthy. Some have said $25 a head ( I am assuming on 5-6 weights ). That seems high to me.
I believe AC stated that the cattle of the same color will bring as much as $70 to $140 per head more. That might be worth it as a cow calf man I don't know.

I would never fill a yard full of the same colored quality cattle for $140 a head more than crayon colored quality cattle would you?

longtimelurker":2n4rn84s said:
AngusLimoX":2n4rn84s said:
Lurker - lets put some numbers on it - what is the "premium" on a set of uniform calves as opposed to disparate groups, assuming the same weight and all healthy. Some have said $25 a head ( I am assuming on 5-6 weights ). That seems high to me.
I believe AC stated that the cattle of the same color will bring as much as $70 to $140 per head more. That might be worth it as a cow calf man I don't know.

I would never fill a yard full of the same colored quality cattle for $140 a head more than crayon colored quality cattle would you?

I have kept up with and stayed out of this discussion. But, I honestly believe you two have bumped your heads.

upfrombottom":12oabql7 said:
longtimelurker":12oabql7 said:
AngusLimoX":12oabql7 said:

I have kept up with and stayed out of this discussion. But, I honestly believe you two have bumped your heads.
I can send you a calculator so you could do the math on your own.

Angus Cowman":1gc69849 said:
ol Bessy will raise a 700lb calf every yr the part is they can't or won't figure out that ol bessy's calf only brought $0.90 and ol gerts calf brought $0.90 and the rest of their mismatched rainbow herd brought $.90 and if they would of all been the same color they would have brought 10-20 cents more per lb

longtimelurker":1p4txofx said:
Angus Cowman":1p4txofx said:
ol Bessy will raise a 700lb calf every yr the part is they can't or won't figure out that ol bessy's calf only brought $0.90 and ol gerts calf brought $0.90 and the rest of their mismatched rainbow herd brought $.90 and if they would of all been the same color they would have brought 10-20 cents more per lb
see it happen all the time when they run a single calf in he might bring $.90 and then they bring a group of 5-20 in they can be the same size, weight,quality and color as the previuos calf and they will bring $1.05

I had to edit and add the colored part so LTL would assume or misinterpret anything

Angus Cowman":75h47c5n said:
longtimelurker":75h47c5n said:
Angus Cowman":75h47c5n said:
see it happen all the time when they run a single calf in he might bring $.90 and then they bring a group of 5-20 in they can be the same size, weight,quality and color and they will bring $1.05

upfrombottom is the man or woman who questioned what I repeated, talk to them. I have found it best not believe anything said on this website unless it can be verified by a third party. I have also found that in most cases you will never verify most claims on this site mainly because it wasn't true.

longtimelurker":1zolld9o said:
upfrombottom is the man or woman who questioned what I repeated, talk to them. I have found it best not believe anything said on this website unless it can be verified by a third party. I have also found that in most cases you will never verify most claims on this site mainly because it wasn't true.

One thing is for sure, I've never been acused of being a woman and I seriously doubt you would want to try and varify that I am. It would probally be your last research project.

longtimelurker":1zolld9o said:

This is the statement I was referring to. Before I decided on purchasing any cattle, I sat through many sales to determine what my best options were. I have never stated on these boards what the best breed is or what type I have. But through my research, I determined what color and breed to raise, and also how to get the best market price for those cattle. Not that I'm not partial to any breed, but not having any reward kinda takes the fun out of the game and the bigger the reward, the more fun it is.

I asked a guy in college once what he was going to do with his degree in music. He said that the conductor of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra makes a half a million a year, and I said yea but there is only one of them and I saw seventy five graduate from the school he was going to. I saw him waiting tables at a restaurant three years later.

I said that to make a point. If I could raise crayon colored mixed age cattle for the same input as any consistent colored and aged breed and get the same reward, my preferences in cattle would probably change. But this I know for a fact, there are not very many petting zoo's competing in the market and my best chance, at actually getting any reward for my efforts, is consistency and a breed and color that there is the most buying competition for. Consistency is the best way I have found to do what I like and stay in the game. Not saying I won't, but I don't intend on ever waiting tables.

My trucker makes a living off a goose neck and his cows. He has a rainbow herd covered with BA bulls. He is in the sales barn 4 days per week and buys cheap bred heavies with horns or spots or whatever. Ugliest herd in the area but he keeps hidden in wooded pasture :cboy: which is about 50% leased. He never saves a heifer.

The calves are not real uniform, but he gives them one set of shots and then sells them private treaty to someone who feeds them out. He does not own a tractor. Only has a skid steer to unload and feed the meadow hay he buys in.

Stocker Steve":33hcf8re said:
My trucker makes a living off a goose neck and his cows. He has a rainbow herd covered with BA bulls. He is in the sales barn 4 days per week and buys cheap bred heavies with horns or spots or whatever. Ugliest herd in the area but he keeps hidden in wooded pasture :cboy: which is about 50% leased. He never saves a heifer.

The calves are not real uniform, but he gives them one set of shots and then sells them private treaty to someone who feeds them out. He does not own a tractor. Only has a skid steer to unload and feed the meadow hay he buys in.
This is more what is consider a trader and yes you can make money doing it and you can lose money doing it the same as in any operation

upfrombottom":2gqapoih said:
One thing is for sure, I've never been acused of being a woman and I seriously doubt you would want to try and varify that I am. It would probally be your last research project.
I love starting my day with threats to my life what grade are you in again?

My research has also proven I will not recoup a additional $144.40 per head on hide color alone at slaughter. Unless they go CAB.

Latest posts