A Miracle happened last night!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have this heifer calf that went down 2 weeks ago that I have been babying since then, turning it on its either side, feeding it by hand, and the last week we have been hiplifting her, every day for several hours. Last night we went to hip lift her and she got up and started walking away-I almost fell over in shock, but a good shock! This never has happened to me, a downer animal actually getting up, got to be a miracle.

Gail

thats great some dowers actually get up on their own an are ok.do you know what caused her to go down.

bigbull338":3t8yo1px said:
thats great some dowers actually get up on their own an are ok.do you know what caused her to go down.

She was one of 3 on the smaller size in a group of bigger heifers, kind of the 3 oddballs, couldn't compete. We had that freezing rain and cold conditions, and she got weakened and went down, I suppose gave up. I got her out of there asap, moved the other 2 home also. The Vet came out the very same day, gave her IV drugs and fluids, and the Vet said she wouldn't make the night, but I kind of had a feeling. We kept her in a heated environment for about a week, and I gave her electrolytes, and misc. drugs for the entire time, and I did notice the most improvement just in the last few days. She is a good looking heifer, hated to lose her, and now she is on the mend.

Gail

well you did good.usually when a calf goes down like she did.putting the feed an meds to her should pull her out of it.unless she is sick from something unknown.small calves dont need tobe with bigger heifers in winter.because the big ones will get all the feed.

bigbull338":2kagmbso said:
well you did good.usually when a calf goes down like she did.putting the feed an meds to her should pull her out of it.unless she is sick from something unknown.small calves dont need tobe with bigger heifers in winter.because the big ones will get all the feed.

She wasn't just put with htis group in winter, she was with them all summer, but as the weather turned colder, her and the 2 others could not compete as well, lesson learned. Honestly with the oddballs sometimes I wonder if its not better to sell them, to keep the age types together, and not take the risk of competition.

GMN

If memory serves, I have saved 3 "downers" in 40 yrs and lost 5 times that. I still try to save them but it sure isn't a money maker. You have good reason to celebrate, GMN.

Years ago I went to a neighbor's to help him load a down cow into the trailer to haul her to the locker. (Before BSE, obviously) He'd built a dirt ramp, and we planned to just drag her up to the trailer by all four legs with two come-alongs. Got to putting the straps on her legs, and pulled up on one leg to roll her a little to get to the other leg, and she kicked, rolled toward us, and stood up. She'd been down almost a week, and the calf had only been bottle fed, but she raised that calf and several more for him. He was convinced that she WAS paralyzed at first, but then she just believed she couldn't stand, so she didn't try until we got to messing with her. Who knows?

jkwilson":12s662pe said:
Years ago I went to a neighbor's to help him load a down cow into the trailer to haul her to the locker. (Before BSE, obviously) He'd built a dirt ramp, and we planned to just drag her up to the trailer by all four legs with two come-alongs. Got to putting the straps on her legs, and pulled up on one leg to roll her a little to get to the other leg, and she kicked, rolled toward us, and stood up. She'd been down almost a week, and the calf had only been bottle fed, but she raised that calf and several more for him. He was convinced that she WAS paralyzed at first, but then she just believed she couldn't stand, so she didn't try until we got to messing with her. Who knows?
A lot of then just want try. That is why they are called cows.
Cow is synonymous with dumb and aggravating.

Ryder":1kfgr0y5 said:
jkwilson":1kfgr0y5 said:
A lot of then just want try. That is why they are called cows.
Cow is synonymous with dumb and aggravating.

I guess you could say that about alot of species.

GMN

Latest posts