a little something interesting...

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/08 ... 112605.txt

Bull mystery may be solved in Lincoln courtroom
By ART HOVEY / Lincoln Journal Star
Thursday, Aug 02, 2007 - 12:05:47 am CDT

Maine-Anjou bulls are known for being big and brawny and capable of endowing their sons and daughters with all sorts of genetic virtues, including meat tenderness.

What they are not known for doing is dying and then springing back to life in another state under another name.

When Nebraskans involved in a joint bull venture believe they have been misled by Oklahoma partners about whether a bull is producing champion-quality semen or pushing up daisies, things can get ugly.

Proof of ugly possibilities emerged in federal court in Lincoln Friday as a long list of plaintiffs, including Hartman Cattle Co. of Tecumseh, filed a civil lawsuit seeking more than $8 million in damages from partners in the Glover Cattle Co. of Elgin, Okla.

The focus for a looming legal showdown is a bull named Legacy Plus.

According to several pages of factual allegations on file at the U.S. District Court, Legacy Plus was born in 1997, reigned as grand champion of the Canadian Western Agribition in 1998, and won similar supreme distinction at the National Western Stock Show in Denver in 1999.

Many more show-ring accolades followed for the bull and his offspring.

Along the way, his value increased even faster than his physical size. The Hartman Cattle Co., the Glover Cattle Co., and other business partners as far away as Arizona picked up pieces of the ownership.

Then, according to court records, the potential for perhaps millions of dollars in income from sale and use of Legacy Plus semen took on some tragic dimensions.

In December 2001, the Glover part of the partnership reported the bull had a swollen scrotum.

All of the partners agreed on treatment at Oklahoma State University, but the Glovers soon sought out the rest of the ownership grouping again to report a lethal infection called peritonitis.

That led to mutual agreement to euthanize one of the most prominent breeding bulls in Maine-Anjou history.

Legacy Plus went off to rest in peace on or about Dec. 6, 2001.

Or did he?

Not according to a written version of bovine events offered Friday by plaintiff attorney Gene Summerlin.

"Glover and GCC did not euthanize Legacy Plus or cause Legacy Plus to be euthanized," Summerlin said.

"Legacy Plus either never had peritonitis or recovered from the infection, but neither Glover nor GCC informed the other (joint venture) members that Legacy Plus had recovered and had not been euthanized."

Instead, other partners later came to believe — based on their contacts in Maine-Anjou ranks — that the bull was still alive, part of a new ownership arrangement, and still fulfilling his breeding destiny from Wisconsin as recently as 2004.

He didn't die, according to the plaintiffs, until July 2005. That happened in Indiana after an injury left him unable to carry on with his breeding assignments.

Two years later, the non-Oklahoma partners, convinced they had been deceived, are alleging five causes for action: breach of joint business venture agreement, deceptive business practices, fraudulent concealment and misrepresentation, tortuious interference with a business relationship or expectancy, and conversion.

The suing parties want a jury trial and $1.675 million for each claim of wrongdoing.

What they don't want is any newspaper questions about their case.

"We have no comment on the lawsuit," Summerlin said after conferring with Hartman Cattle Co. executive Mike Hartman.

Before also declining further comment, co-plaintiff Tim Weber, also of Tecumseh, agreed the situation leading to the lawsuit was highly unusual.

"That would be obvious," Weber said, "because this is the first case I've heard of of any individual owning a bull and the bull supposedly dying and being resurrected a couple years later and given another name."

As of Wednesday afternoon, Ronnie Glover of the Glover Cattle Co. had not responded to repeated Journal Star attempts to reach him for reaction.

John Boddicker of the American Maine-Anjou Association in Missouri said he was waiting to hear from an attorney before answering questions the Journal Star e-mailed him about the breed and the amount of national attention the case may or may not have attracted so far.

Meanwhile, Larry Rademacher of Loup City, a Maine-Anjou pure-bred operator and a member of the national association's board of directors, said it all sounded far from familiar.

"I don't think this has happened hardly ever in any breed," Rademacher said. "It doesn't sound good, whatever it is."

:roll:

I bet this has happened plenty of times in bull syndicates; though it is probably a lot more normal for the semen split to be less than fair or legal.

Frankie":17lweqyq said:
A few DNA tests should straighten this one out. One way or another.

I would almost bet with my own money that the DNA
testing had been done long before the suit was filed.
I suspect that negotiations failed, so the suit was
filed. I would in fact be shocked if they did not have
undisputable evidence prior to filing a suit.

Never underestimate the power or the likelihood of getting a frivoulous law suit. Anything is possible in this case.

I try and keep my name out of the paper. I figure if they use the term suspect before your name its best to avoid the publicity.

i just dont understand how that guy though he could actually get away with it. hopefully DNA will clear it up.

i dont do business with either breeder, but still thought it was interesting and thought i'd share. its the hot talk of tecumseh right now....

What is interesting is how the alledged thieves could profit more by keeping all of this bulls semen to themselves rather than selling it on the open market by name brand. This belongs in "Dumb Crook News".

cattleluvr18":ndp73epl said:
i just dont understand how that guy though he could actually get away with it. hopefully DNA will clear it up.

i dont do business with either breeder, but still thought it was interesting and thought i'd share. its the hot talk of tecumseh right now....
People who pull stupid stunts such as this are cut from the same "Idiot Cloth" as the ding-bats who race through big city streets ahead of 15 or 20 cop cars, and a Helicopter flying right above them taking beautiful color movies of every move they make, clear down to the rims of their wheels! Same bunch of screwballs who vote to put pants on cows, and laws to save the "Beautiful Fruit Fly's". - -and turn over several hundred thousand acres of land to "The Government" to preserve the "Snail Darter" fish!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

ga. prime":37w6sh35 said:
Pants on cows, DOC? That's rich. :lol:
Hmmmm - it strikes me that you think I am kidding! Not so - Georgia Peach Breath!! I think it was in the 1960's ( or maybe before that?) there were a bunch of Liberal Environmentalists who were SERIOUSLY! pushing every governmental and Left-Wing Political button in sight to get mandates to "clothe" all animals, - dogs, cats, cows, horses, sheep, goats etc., because they were naked and indiscriminately used "Mother Earth" as their toilets - - and that was unfair to the environment and embarrassing to other Earth Dwellers - such as us lower animals - humans! I KID YOU NOT! And these current LEFT-WING POLITICAL FLAKE-HEADS are cut out of the same loaf of MOLDY dough that their parents and some grand-parents were!! Now - we are doing our best to place them in important Governmental Offices - like, for example - - - let's see - - uh - - the current leaders of the House of Representatives and The Senate. They are even running several for the next President of the United States!! Our wonderful Colleges and Universities have whelped and bred these screwballs and ding-bats - - all the way down to pre-school!!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

DOC, you are matchless. Nothing but inarguable truth in your posts. Nobody could have said it better. I have to laugh about the nuttiness of it all. :lol:

DOC HARRIS":2zmrqzwn said:
ga. prime":2zmrqzwn said:
Pants on cows, DOC? That's rich. :lol:
Hmmmm - it strikes me that you think I am kidding! Not so - Georgia Peach Breath!! I think it was in the 1960's ( or maybe before that?) there were a bunch of Liberal Environmentalists who were SERIOUSLY! pushing every governmental and Left-Wing Political button in sight to get mandates to "clothe" all animals, - dogs, cats, cows, horses, sheep, goats etc., because they were naked and indiscriminately used "Mother Earth" as their toilets - - and that was unfair to the environment and embarrassing to other Earth Dwellers - such as us lower animals - humans!

DOC HARRIS

------------------------

Doc I find "pants on cows" hard to believe - please provide
a link to any information that would describe such
attempted mandates---hopefully to include just who might
be involved in such insanity. I have a pretty good
memory but cannot recall any such outrageous idea.

OK Jeanne":1d2m2qy5 said:
Nevermind Doc - I found what I was looking for. Try
this link: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/12/ ... ear-pants/

Note the date: 1937----does that fit in with your
recollection?
- Recollection?? What is that? I don't seem to remember what that word means! :shock: :roll: :lol2:

No Jeanne - that is not the reference I was stating. This happened when I was in Los Angeles (1953 - 1990) and believe me - the left-wing squirrel heads and limp-wristed swishers, along with those who had "tear-stained" faces because of the heartless killing of the San Joaquine Fruit Fly's who demanded that the Fly's be "captured in little bags and sterilized" so they could not reproduce rather than being MURDERED IN COLD BUG JUICE were of the same ilk as those "hippies" who lolled around Haight-Asbury in San Fransisco getting stoned and diseased in the era of the 60's. I can't get closer than that, but I am not going to beat this dead horse any longfer. My blood pressure goes up every time I think about those vermin-ridden sots and Political Anti-War traitors of the Vietnam Era - like Jane Fonda!

Like I say -

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts