A Hay Calamity

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
My 74 year old supplier of hay, says this is the worse hay year he has seen. It is the middle of June. There was only a single 3 day stretch that provided the conditions for harvesting hay. Most producers missed that window. The hayfields are over mature. Protein levels are going to be low. It rained most of today. It is dry tomorrow but starts raining Saturday afternoon and continues all next week. It just cannot get much worse than this. Most have not rolled a single roll of hay yet.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
We only have 54 rolls put up. Just picked up 50 acres to cut but our weather is much like yours.

To add insult to injury, those are not good hay making temperatures, even if you miss the rain. And suppose to be humid. Not good hay weather.

I too spelled doom and gloom but end of May I got a small window, took a chance, hay dried out by mid afternoon and baled it got.....all of it.

I fed all my first hay cutting trying to make it through the drought. I bought another load of hay which should get me through for awhile. We put 90 units of N out per acre so I can't put the cows on grass for 10 days. Looks like the grass has been growing a couple of inches every night.

We are the same in SW MO. I have 30 acres waiting to cut... it is way to mature and will be rank IF we ever get a window to get it cut, dried, and baled....

I will never gripe about the rain, it sucks that you can't cut at peak production and value. But the other way sucks more.

Took a chance 2 days ago and knocked down 20 acres. Left it piled up due to a chance of rain last night. Fortunately, only got a tenth on it. Tedded it all out this afternoon. Looks like the grass will make dry hay tomorrow. The heavy clover field is going to have to be wrapped I suspect because more rain coming again on Saturday. It's do or die for tomorrow.
Have another 22 acre field that is heavy clover and alfalfa that I left alone this go round. Good thing I did; will have my hands full getting this baled and put up before the rain hits again.

True Grit Farms said:
I fed all my first hay cutting trying to make it through the drought. I bought another load of hay which should get me through for awhile. We put 90 units of N out per acre so I can't put the cows on grass for 10 days. Looks like the grass has been growing a couple of inches every night.

they feed urea to animals all day.. never heard of waiting 10 days

cowrancher75 said:
True Grit Farms said:

they feed urea to animals all day.. never heard of waiting 10 days

The stuff I sprayed is really nasty looking and stinks, but works excellent. I think it was a 24-0-0-3 mixture? And supposedly will kill a cow dead if they get into it? IDK, but I'm doing what I was told buy the folks that sell it.

Bright Raven said:
My 74 year old supplier of hay, says this is the worse hay year he has seen. It is the middle of June. There was only a single 3 day stretch that provided the conditions for harvesting hay. Most producers missed that window. The hayfields are over mature. Protein levels are going to be low. It rained most of today. It is dry tomorrow but starts raining Saturday afternoon and continues all next week. It just cannot get much worse than this. Most have not rolled a single roll of hay yet.

Might want to heed the advice TT gave me and move, if you can't handle low humidity and a little rain.

Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:

Might want to heed the advice TT gave me and move, if you can't handle low humidity and a little rain.

Do you pay any attention to TT? :compute:

Bright Raven said:
Caustic Burno said:
Bright Raven said:

Do you pay any attention to TT? :compute:

No I don't.
It unusually cool here this morning at 63. Calves wanted to play.
Took this picture this morning of a 1/2 SH Hereford I have. Only reason I have her is I bought from my good friends widow during his herd sale after he died.
She must give pure cream wished I had bought more.

My guys are out baling. We actually had hay left over from last year. But I know a lot of people who didn't. Its gonna get bad before it gets better here...

We have been extremely lucky in my area. Hay was several weeks early but we had about 2 weeks of dry weather. The guy that does my hay got up over 1000 5x4 rolls. Mine was last, but best 1st cutting off those 30 acres in years (a little TLC and fertilize does wonders). Hay barns are full (had quite a bit left over from last season) and all of my second cutting will be all stored outside. It will be the first I feed in the winter and I feel good that I will be ok for this year, barring a calamity with the second cutting.

got some baled last night.. was putting it away until past 11.. glad I got some of that done..

I just read in the paper.. people at a recent local auction were paying 65.00 PER SQUARE BALE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! They even stopped the auction to make sure everyone knew (edited) they were bidding on! ahhaa