A Hay Calamity

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
I'm just a little fish trying to survive. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

When I was a young buck on Wall Street, I asked John Mack (former Morgan Stanley CEO) as I shook his hand "Did you once yell at your traders "There's blood in the water. Let's go kill!"...he just smiled and said "get back to work kid"

That said it all for me moving forward in life.

Eat or be eaten.

Well i normally sell they crap hay to folks like Branded. I need to haul some hay home. Fertilized ochard grass and clover with a little fescue mixed in. Then here in a few weeks we will cut some native warm season grass. Should cut and bale a couple of thousand bale this year. I pick what i want the people that does the baling picks what they want. The rest gets sold.

We were blessed to have perfect hay weather the last two weeks of May. Most of Ky didn't have that I don't think.

True Grit Farms said:
I've been thinking about hay for awhile now. We had none to cut because of the drought. Then before our 2" rain event I ffertilized heavy hoping to make a large quality cut. But I couldn't cut this week because of possible nitrate poisoning. Now we have the potential for rain all next week. You just need some luck when dealing with making hay. Personally I'd rather have rank hay that wasn't rained on, instead of moldy or bleached out hay.

Alot of times rained on hay cut at the right time will still be better than more mature hay TG. Depends on how much rain it get on it.

Red Bull Breeder said:
True Grit Farms said:
I've been thinking about hay for awhile now. We had none to cut because of the drought. Then before our 2" rain event I ffertilized heavy hoping to make a large quality cut. But I couldn't cut this week because of possible nitrate poisoning. Now we have the potential for rain all next week. You just need some luck when dealing with making hay. Personally I'd rather have rank hay that wasn't rained on, instead of moldy or bleached out hay.

Alot of times rained on hay cut at the right time will still be better than more mature hay TG. Depends on how much rain it get on it.

I've heard that, I'm just not that lucky.

Like i said depend on how much rain it get on it. You lose quality pretty quick on mature hay. Bermuda drops like a rock the more mature it gets.

Well.. I'm glad my hay is in, a really good thunderstorm is rolling through, not raining a whole lot with it so going to have to look out for forest fires

Latest posts