A Hay Calamity

Help Support CattleToday:

In our area of the state we have had some good windows to do hay. Finished my first cutting almost 2 weeks ago. Yields are down this year but the quality seems good, testing will see for sure. Still a lot of people doing hay around here but a lot are done. Seeing lots of hay for sale and most seems high in price, last years shortage I thinks has everyone wanting to make a buck.

Missed your chance for making hay. Mon-Wed clear skies, and low humidity. Made some 24 hour hay that was probably the best I've ever made. Perfect color, moisture, fine leaf, and super thick. To bad the other 40 acres that need baled will go to pot before it gets baled. Oh well, that farming, and you just have to take what the Good Lord gives ya. I'll take too much green grass, and too much rain over 2012 any year.

"Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain." James 5:7

48067132021_48dc0bfd90_h.jpg

48067229112_77ee773770_h.jpg

We got everything baled yesterday before the rain hit. Even got 60 bales put under cover. Only wrapped 8 bales(early). Yesterday was a real blessing for drying; 20 mph wind, low humidity and sunny. Yielded 5 5.5x4 bales per acre or essentially 3 tons per acre.

I wish that there was something to bale and the only problem was rainy weather. UP here it's been rainy and cold (3 heavy frosts in the last 11 days) and there is nothing worth baling heck not much to graze yet. Still feeding hay and baleage. So count your blessings that you guys have something to bale.

I don't think it matters where you are, there is nothing more stressful than hay season. It makes calving season seem like a walk in the park on a perfect spring day.

I think Chiropractors are getting a lot of business these days, everyone has a crook in their neck from always looking up at what kind of weather is coming... This year was pretty good for us, last year there was beautiful weather up to about May 25th, a few people got some hay done, then June was just miserable, always dodging thunderstorms.

I just finished my first cut... Yield on a few fields a bit down, but really nice hay.. Stuff I put in today is about 50/50 timothy alfalfa..

Neighbor said his daughter cut a wheel line field (80 acres?) of alfalfa and two of the irrigation risers. Said that one of them you could tell she just kept right on mowing. It was in the middle of the windrow. Took it off slick as a whistle.

Cut hay Friday needed Sun through Sunday. Awaken to rain this morning and projected for the next seven days. Could be something is telling me to get out of the cattle business and it will not take a lot to get me there

It's really only a calamity if you are trying to meet all of your cattle's nutrition needs on hay alone.

************* said:
It's really only a calamity if you are trying to meet all of your cattle's nutrition needs on hay alone.

Why would you not try ? Hay is expensive if your buying or putting it up on your own. I think you should try your best to make good enough hay to meet your cattle's need.

pricefarm said:
************* said:

Why would you not try ? Hay is expensive if your buying or putting it up on your own. I think you should try your best to make good enough hay to meet your cattle's need.

I totally agree, but I would rather have hay that is not rained on rather than hay that was put up too late. Everyone around here is singing the blues, and in reality, they will be lucky if they get hay that is not moldy, and 8% protein. I have all but about 15% of my first cutting finished and it was completed in May. It's not great hay, but it's dry and pretty clean, it's definitely roughage that can be supplemented with a 14% grain ration this winter.

If I could get hay up, given the weather conditions we have seen, that would eliminate the above, then that would be wonderful, but if you were to test even the best hay around here it would fall short.

M-5 said:
************* said:

That's is the case if your to ignorant to make quality hay. But some folks were not blessed with enough sense.

Even the brightest hay producers, maybe not as bright as you, but pretty experienced are being humbled this year. Maybe you could offer advice on how to put up superb hay in a 2-day window, with nights in the low 50's, and cloudy days. I'm sure there is a secret you are holding back.

Could it be you have the finest hay equipment around? Steel crimpers that would flatten out a dollar bill?

Red Bull Breeder said:
Thats easy it, wrap it.

When most people are baling hay with equipment that should have been scrapped back in the 80's, the idea of asking them to wrap their hay rings of "Let them eat cake"

I prefer dry hay.

I've been thinking about hay for awhile now. We had none to cut because of the drought. Then before our 2" rain event I ffertilized heavy hoping to make a large quality cut. But I couldn't cut this week because of possible nitrate poisoning. Now we have the potential for rain all next week. You just need some luck when dealing with making hay. Personally I'd rather have rank hay that wasn't rained on, instead of moldy or bleached out hay.

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Thats easy it, wrap it.

When most people are baling hay with equipment that should have been scrapped back in the 80's, the idea of asking them to wrap their hay rings of "Let them eat cake"

I prefer dry hay.

We all do. The money you spent on your new baler, I'd use to buy more land. My old baler makes some terrible looking rolls, but the cows don't seem to mind.

True Grit Farms said:
************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
Thats easy it, wrap it.

I prefer dry hay.

We all do. The money you spent on your new baler, I'd use to buy more land. My old baler makes some terrible looking rolls, but the cows don't seem to mind.

We are headed for a "calamity" in the real estate market before long. I'm keeping my powder dry for that sh.t show. Take a look at how hard farming has become for many people, dispersal sales will be more common, and people will throw in the towel. That's when I like to shop the bargain bin for real estate. You have to think like a big, old fat catfish. LOL!

Latest posts